1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

A blind tasting event that has stuck with me

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFunGuy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

Two years ago my wife and I hosted a beer tasting party. We had glasses of water, crackers and pretzel snacks, and stopped at a restaurant supply company for disposable tasting 4oz cups.

We had all the standard light lagers. We poured in another room and people rated by serving round numbers. People rated the beers (on paper) and guessed which was which.

Several attendees were sure they knew the Bud Light, their favorite. They were wrong, they guessed the Busch. Busch was also the highest rated beer of the evening. Thoughts?

As a side thought, sometimes when I start thinking Two Hearted is much better than (X), I think about the tasting party.

2. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

We did this too with macro-lagers/budget crap beers, but we didn't have Busch. People ended up picking High Life as the best, Steel Reserve as 2nd best, and Tecate as the worst. It was difficult to discern differences between the 12 odd beers in the middle.

3. Shoulda thrown some carbonated piss in there and seen if anyone noticed

4. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I've never had a blind tasting. I wonder what would happen if me and my stout-loving pal would sample a bunch of unlabeled brews. Would our fav's still be the same? Or are we the victims of marketing/packaging influence?

5. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Did this in business school for a friend's marketing class and missed on every beer. Also put the beers in reverse order of what I thought I preferred.

Did a blind taste test of bourbon recently and came out with similar results. Not sure what that says about my ability to identify what I supposedly like, but the process is always fun. And I now won't drop $100 plus on bourbon that lost out to a $35 bottle.

jgluck and BostonHops like this.
  6. Nj
    Tell me why I should care that people couldn't differentiate between crap #1, 2 &3.

7. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Bunch of friends of mine did this during a Packers game last season. I forget how many different kinds they had, but the general consensus was "Boy did I wake up hungover".

Rohkey likes this.
  8. I think you missed the point man. He's just proving that sometimes it's your preconceived notions about a certain beer or brewery that make you like it more than another one. That's all. Whether it's crap beer or craft beer.

hornsup, jgluck, YogiBeer and 11 others like this.
  9. Wish I would have done a blind reading. Of this thread.

Sam_Frank, emerge077, kevanb and 5 others like this.
  10. I got his point. My point is crap tastes like crap. Who cares if his friends can't tell the difference?

More importantly , if they were really friends he wouldn't have served them Bush.

KhakCane, GoGators and RPH2327 like this.
  11. We did one a few years ago - a Lawnmower blindfold. Everything tended towards the middle, but Narragansett won hands down and Colt 45 was almost unanimously at the bottom. Who knows how fresh any of these beers were. What stuck with me though, and I've since done some field research, is that Narragansett brews good beer.

12. megamass

megamass Savant (360) New Jersey Oct 30, 2008

If that what they like thats what they like. Its not crap to them if thats the kinda beers they like.

dianimal and ChanChan like this.
  13. Did this with super fresh, hoppy IPAs/DIPAs and was a little surprised by the results, but for the most part it was what I expected. Only big surprise was how well Double Jack did. I know it's a great beer, but I tend to pass it over since it's readily available year round.

Love doing blind tastings and think most people would be surprised by how they go and how much if beer is expectations, hype, preconceptions, etc...

14. I immediately thought of this 1999 Slate article. Busch rated 2nd overall in the blind tasting, and 1st in value-for-money.

15. No Bush is crap. Bud light is crap. It doesn't matter if people like it.
    Just like a McDonalds hamburger is shit. It doesnt matter how many billions of them they sell. They are still shit.

yemenmocha, zachary80 and msween21 like this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,015) New York Mar 12, 2009

We did a blind experiment at homebrew club. I was unable to identify the beer I have had more of than any beer in my life, SN Pale Ale. Wasn't even close. Blind tastings, to mix a metaphor, are real eye openers.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm actually a little scared of trying a blind tasting with my group because as much as I think we know what we're doing....I think it is going to end up a train wreck. But I am sure it would be an eye opener.

hornsup and MikeEhrmantraut like this.
  18. Soneast

Soneast Advocate (525) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Uh oh. Don't you know the new "cool" is to defend peoples choice to drink shit beer, and praise BMC for producing a consistently, quality product?

19. Recently did a blind tasting of the 4 local Pils: Stoudts, Sly Fox, Troegs, and Victory.

Sly Fox Pikeland won hands down, but everyone was much closer than we expected.

20. drtth

drtth Champion (955) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Taste memory is indeed a funny things (funny peculiar).

21. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Is it "cool" to hate on people simply because of what they choose to drink? And I don't think anybody is praising bmc.

22. seeswo

seeswo Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

I've done many blind tastings and enjoyed all of them. It's where I learned which 'walez' were worth it and which weren't. Also where I learned that 3F OG > Cantillon Classic.

23. I missed that memo.
    God bless AB/InBev!!!!!

24. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I've done this before when I was 21 with only B,M,C lights. I was able to identify each one, color is obvious in the coores light. Obviously a lot easier with just three beers.

I'm going to say this to the haters of the thread(some of which I value their opinions most the time), if we compare good beer to each other and say one is better than the other why can't we do it with 'shitty' beer. If it's in the same catergory, are we not allowed to put it on a scale? If it 'all shit' then I'm going to argue that if a beer I like is 'good', than it's all good, there is no comparison which is better than the other. So we'll never be able to compare good beer. 60 minute is good and so is heady topper, so it's all good and it doesnt matter if one tastes better than the other. So to the person saying 'its all shit' than if 'its all good' 60 minute and heady topper are the same.

I always say that I think High Life and PBR are superior shitty beers to other shitty beers. I don't think it's a crime to call something the best of the worst.

On another note, I do want to do more blind tastings with my friends, stouts, ipas, etc., but they never seem to want to 'chip in.' I want to see what would really win between Narwal, FIS, Ten Fidy, Old Rasby, without lables.

25. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (320) California Feb 14, 2011

How did the grass look?

26. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 27, 2013

I hate bud light more than any other beer on the planet. A buddy of mine was having a wedding shower and he had 4 beers in ice.. Miller light bud light coors light and mick light.. He said I couldnt pick the bud light out of the four. He lined up 8 solo cups with beer and he had the answer key. 6 were not bud light and two were .. i picked out the bud light both times.. it taste like a wet dog.

27. Why are you insulting wet dogs?

kemoarps and hornsup like this.
  28. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 27, 2013

LOL

29. megamass

you sound like a snotty little brat you should go get your binky. Just because you think something shit doesn't mean it is. We all have differrent tastes.

30. You are completely wrong. Bush is shit. A McDonald's hamburger is shit. The fact that millions are sold to people does not change those facts.

31. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (630) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I love the topic of Blind Tastings. This is the only way to really compare beer in my opinion, it is impossible to remove biases any other way. I hate to put in a selfless plug, but I post all my results at http://www.hereforthebeer.com/. We have done DIPAx2, APA, Browns, I even host an annual event where we do this for 5 different categories each year. This last year we did Ambers, American Adjunct, Double/Imperial Stouts, IPAS and Porters. Pretty tough by the end of the evening

32. megamass

Don't eve donate your brain to science because I think you have shit for brains there buddy. There tons of food and and beer that I don't like doesn't mean they are shit. I don't like bush beer but there are people that enjoy it so why do you have to bash them. I like Mcdonalds hamburgers but they are not my favorite.

33. I am not bashing anyone. (Unlike you who can't engage in a discusion without name calling.)
    I am bashing a product. When something is produced without any care for quality (like Bush or McDonald's hamburger) it is shit. The ingrediants used are selected solely to meet a price point. That is what makes those products shit. It has nothing to do with whether or not I like something.

There are plenty of things that I don't like. I can't stand salmon but I know it is not shit.
    Conversely, despite the fact that I find it tasty, I know that a White Castle Hamburger is shit.

kemoarps and yemenmocha like this.
  34. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (690) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

It doesn't matter how many times people explain the point of this thread, you are still going to be a dick.

35. Excellent retort

36. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I bet you could do this with Double Jack, Abrasive, Double Trouble, Heady, Dreadnaught, and PtE... and Heady would lose 100% of the time... if you couldn't see the beer.

tronester, Holsie and megamass like this.
  37. ahahahahahaha

Sam_Frank likes this.
  38. It really just goes to show how much price and perceived notoriety factor into your individual taste buds. There is a reason companies spend millions of dollars on advertising. If people paid more attention to the quality of a product, instead of hype, there's be only a handful of AAL's on the market. Same premise could be used for vehicles, and every other consumer product.

39. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Can I ask why you chose Adjunct Lager? Did you do the same thing with other styles? and craft

40. My guess, he didn't really like the people that were coming over. (Maybe they were his wife's friends)

kemoarps likes this.