1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

A Brooklyn Specialty Brewer Dares the French Market

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by dauss, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

[​IMG]
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/b...specialty-brewer-dares-the-french-market.html

I think some other beers like Noble Rot, made with grapes, and beers that have been aged in wine barrels could also do well.

2. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Hmm, guess that tax hike was no big deal after all.

3. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

My favorite line:

That may be the most favorable comparison Oklahoma has ever seen.

4. The French artisanal beer scene will blow up one day and I'd bet that American brewers will end up doing very well there, popularity-wise, as they have in Sweden.

5. The trend of all alcohol around the world, that is artisinal minded, is all looking to and using craft beer as the example. Even fifteen years ago you couldn't find some craft beers anywhere, now they are popping up everywhere. .This is not some fly by night thing that will go out of style in a few years either. It's an industry that has been methodical and very specific about what it wanted to be, not just as brewers, but as an industry as a whole. It has taken years of education and many gallons of beer to show people who didn't know what an IPA from a stout would be, they just knew that they didn't like "thick" beer. Brewers and the extended craft beer community have worked tirelessly to educate them and develop their palates. The French are a little different. They are more apt to be educated about artisinal products and have a taste for beverages with small nuances and infinite possibilities. I think that after a few enterprising brewers start to bring the French or all of the EU great tasting beer, they too will come around. There will be some resistance at first, but the price point for a great bottle of beer, as opposed to that of a fine wine, will, I think, start to move some of the cork sniffers over to the side of craft beer. Soon after too will follow the French craft revolution!!!! Prolly

6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

That is my man Brandon!! I mean pixieskid on BA...

pixieskid likes this.
  7. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Haha, this is what I wrote on my beerblog's facebook page when I first saw the article a couple days ago:

"I've never considered myself photogenic, but apparently I made the cut to be included in the featured photo in the NY Times article on Brooklyn Brewery's launch into the French market; it's probably because of the t-shirt..."

8. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Providence likes this.
  9. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

I know Simon wants more...Gandhi Bot?!

BTW - if anyone heading through Paris does not stop at Simon's shop, La Cave à Bulles, or the other Brandon took me too [insert name here] then they are nuts!!

10. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

In a craft world apparently dominated by beards, brewery t-shirts and flannel (not that I'm not wearing a flannel shirt myself), Garrett Oliver always looks incredibly sharp.

11. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

It is due to the desire to discover new food pairings that is totally different from wine? I believe the new tax will have little effect on this proceding forward.Cheers