1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment A couple ideas: Beer ranking system + a top 100 "rare beer"

Discussion in 'Site' started by gcamparone, Feb 24, 2013.

1. There are a couple ideas that I constantly wish were available on beeradvocate during my daily navigation. I'm not sure if these have already been considered but I figured I'd throw them out there.

1) On each beer profile, show that particular beer's ranking in relation to every other beer on the site. For example, heady topper's profile would say 1/######(total beers on the site), and a beer that is ranked say, 5447 would say 5447/######. I realize the the algorithm currently being used in the top 250 list would not work for every beer, as there is a minimum review requirement for those beers, so maybe the X amount of beers on this site that do have that minimum review requirement could be ranked using that algorithm, and the remaining beers could be ranked below them using another equation.

2) Make a better incorporation of the "got/want" check boxes by making something like a "white whale top 100" or "hard to find beer" list, because clearly the "white whales" have a LOT more wants than gots. Maybe an equation using the ratio #wants/#gots, giving the beers with more of each a higher ranking (for example, a beer that has 100 wants and 10 gots would rank higher than one that has 1000 wants and 100 gots, even though the #wants/#gots ratio is the same)

Just some ideas that I would love to see on this site, as I am 100% a numbers person and see/speak in numbers when I can, and I feel that many others do too.

Also, thanks Todd and Jason for constantly updating the site with HELPFUL changes that actually make sense, that's not something you see a lot. Cheers
  2. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

as a numbers geek i really like both of those ideas, and i wouldn't think they would be that difficult to implement. perhaps also a list of top beers with 50 or so reviews with no/less weighting on number of reviews, as it might be nice to see the best of the real-tough-to-get beers (since it really tough to be in the top 50 or so without hundreds of reviews...)
  3. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Love the second idea. Ambivalent about the first.

I think it'd be less a "hard to find beer" list and more just a simple "most wanted" list. It's misleading to call it a whale list or a hard to find beer list; that just isn't at all what the amount of wants indicates. As an example, consider any hard to find beer that is draught only. Few people add these beers to their wants lists because under normal circumstances they can't be traded.
  4. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

agree with most-wanted list... i know i only add the "Wants" that i think i have a reasonable shot of seeing/really want... there is no reason to put Dave on my wants list!
    daysinthewake likes this.
  5. Good point, didn't think about the draught thing.
  6. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Modify the first suggestion to be rank within style. There are clear style biases on the site that need to be taken account of. Despite BA ratings most of the best beers are not IPAs or RIS.
    gcamparone and writerLJBerg like this.
  7. Hear, hear. Pilsners are quite frequently getting the shaft while overbearing, oversweet beers like Burton Baton are in the top 250. This is a travesty.
  8. I think it is important to distinguish between beers that are available and are not...meaning a hard to find beer on tap that was a one off is somewhat useless to include on any list. xxx barrel aged stout with cherry and bubblegum that the brewery made once in 2009 and was only avail on tap at the brewerys pub does not do anyone any good even if it got perfect scores from the 20 people that had it. I feel trying to focus any of these lists on beers that are obtainable would be great...

Oh and while we are at it woudl it make sence to add a retail price to the beers to give a rough idea of what one should cost? And would it make sence to add batch numbers as different beers when they are drastically different? such as the Ithaca white gold or the La Trappe Barrel Aged Quad?