1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A craft beer bar with friends that only drink Bud Light...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

...and there's no Bud Light on the menu. I've tricked them into going, so what do I make them drink? Unfortunately, they do have a couple adjuncts, but I'm hoping that they don't see it on the menu.

http://www.oneeyedbettys.com/beers/

I'm thinking about suggesting Short's The Soft Parade because it's a fruity beer... and maybe something like Pandemonium Pale Ale or Loonie Kuhnie because I started drinking and enjoying pale ales before anything else, really.

Any suggestions would be nice. Preferably those from the "on tap" section, since most of the bottles are expensive, and we're just a group of students.

I'm really trying to ease them into craft beer because I hate the fact that they prefer the bars that only have macros on-tap.
  2. Dogfish Head 60 Minute
    Fantasy_Factory and Schwantz like this.
  3. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss. Yeah it's $9 but they're getting 23 oz.
  4. Alextricity

Cute kid.
  5. have them get a weihenstephaner hefe weiss b/c its close to the same color as a Bud, and its taste is subtle and refreshing. You dont want them to hate what they think is all craft beer.

Pus the hefe weiss is a 23oz draft and they'lll like how much they get.
  6. Sorry, didnt review the list first ...
    I would go with the Goose Island Sofie
  7. I also agree with Northlax3
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I've never heard of "Beer Name" but it looks pretty tasty.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  9. Alextricity

I feel like the $9 will make them just say "LOLNO" but I passed that up on the list. A hefe would probably be a good one to make them try. Who knows, maybe I can convince them to get a sample of it first or something.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

PBR.
    yamar68 likes this.
  11. Alextricity

Damn you!

One of my friends can't even stand drinking PBR. He can barely stomach Bud Light. The other ones won't be so hard to convince, but HIM.
  12. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

I often have the same problem. The guys I go out with drink Miller or Bud and I have weaned them onto wheat beers and they are starting to expand their horizons a bit.

Going off the taplist I'd go with Weihenstephaner Hefe
  13. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

A lot of BMC folks can handle a lot of American wheats.
    yamar68 likes this.
  14. Hopslam, let them dive in head first

Seriously though, one of my best friends hates any kind of hoppy beers, I drink a lot of IPAs and he was always willing to try something new but never liked them. He usually drank Michelob or some such until one day I let him try some Founder Breakfast stout. He loves coffee and he loved the beer so now he drinks Michelob and imperial stouts. What I'm saying is that you don't always have to pick the lightest flavored craft beer to switch people over if they are at least willing to try stuff.
  15. wiscokid920

For the record...If I'm back home with the guys playing drinking games: circle of death, beer pong, F the dealer, flip cup etc...PBR is my GO TO BEER!
  16. Maybe you should just go to a bar that has things they want to drink. You know, like an actual friend would do.
  17. Alextricity

Hey. Don't get me wrong. PBR is one of my favorite macro. It's really not even THAT miserable of a beer. But I want to push them into the pool. If they want a PBR, they drown. If they get craft, I'll help them out.
  18. Circle of death, that game is horrifying.
  19. Alextricity

I figured somebody would post something so pointless.

And what about the dozens of times I have had to go to a typical hole-in-the-wall and settle with a Labatt?
  20. wiscokid920

Agreed 100%
    Hotmetal1 and TwelveOunces like this.
  21. You don't have to go to any bar you don't want to. I also doubt that you ever show up with the expectation of there being options that appeal to your palate, only to find out the bar has nothing you want. However, if that's the tack you want to take, why not approach your friends with "hey guys, we usually go to places that don't serve any beers I like. Would you mind if we tried a place that has some stuff I want to drink? Maybe you'll find something new you enjoy!" Seems like a more reasonable and non-asshole approach than leading your buddies on just so you can get your way.
    Unholygoalie and albertq17 like this.
  22. jolly pumpkin. trick them twice!
  23. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Ah... One Eyed Betty's!! LOVE the bourbon selection (pricey). But beer for non-beer drinkers... why not a hefeweizen or something of the like? keep them away from the IPAs. maybe a nitro stout (tell 'em it's better than Guinness). If you want them to have an IPA, give 'em DRIPA and say, "it will get you drunk faster". They'll love it!
  24. Alextricity

Maybe you shouldn't take "I tricked them into going" so literally? They know what to expect, and it's not being a dick. It's helping them broaden their horizons. Sorry I find it quite sad that a couple of my friends honestly believe that Anheuser-Busch is the only American beer company.
    tronester likes this.
  25. wiscokid920

That's how we typically start the night off!
    dbfp210 likes this.
  26. Yea man, that games deadly. Mexicali is another dangerous game. I here ya though, most of my buds only drink Bud, its tough to convince them to go to a craft beer bar.
  27. wiscokid920

Haven't played it but just looked up the rules and looks like a good one!
  28. Bell's Two Hearted on draft.
    It gives everyone on this damn sight a beer boner anyhow.
    Schwantz likes this.
  29. GCurlow

GCurlow Aficionado (205) Washington Oct 13, 2005

Find new friends.
    liane and fx20736 like this.
  30. AB/InBev is not an American company
  31. Alextricity

"American"*

The whole Corona-poly thing happening in the news makes me happy, at least.
    spike913 likes this.
  32. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

It took me awhile to appreciate (then love) Two Hearted. I wouldn't start there.
    nogophers likes this.
  33. Alextricity

That sucks... Two Hearted was pitch-a-tent at first sip for me.
    brewsader likes this.
  34. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I know you said you want draft, but they do have hacker pschorr Hefe bottle there for 6 bucks...16oz..The should like that
  35. I'm always an asshole to my friends, and vice a versa. That's how we know we're friends.

I know people that are always nice to each other do what everyone else wants to do. They're called women.
    sdterp, boddhitree, blackie and 6 others like this.
  36. With this scenario, I think you're out of luck. It's the group mentality thing. They'll band together to defend the honor of BMC because they know each other and they know BMC. Now, if you could isolate them one by one and take them out with a few other craft enthusiasts, their group mentality would be shattered and they'd find themselves trying new stuff to adhere to the new group. You need strategery when planning these sort of things. I respect your cunning and underhandedness, but be sure to kick their legs out from under them, too.
  37. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Every craft bar I've been to carries the usual BMC offerings, not on tap but most definitely in the bottle. As smart businessmen they want everyone to drink what they want so they offer enough of everything to make everyone happy and want to come back. Not everyone likes Hopslam, but still likes to hang out in a cool bar, relax and enjoy whatever, food, the energy, a game on tv.
  38. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

$5 for 26oz of Kuhnhenn Loonie Kuhnie would be what I would suggest. Seems like a really good deal, I haven't had it before but from the description it shouldn't be too assertive for them.
  39. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Loonie Koonie, no doubt. It goes over very well with BMC drinkers, and I would drink it if I wanted something lighter.
  40. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

nice selection!!! screw them, take me!