1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A craft beer bar with friends that only drink Bud Light...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I don't see the point in trying to convert BMC drinkers to craft drinkers if they don't want to be converted. If your friends like what they drink than that's what they should drink. I'd just tell them to order PBR or Stroh's if they want to drink something that they know they will enjoy. On the other hand, if they want to try something different by all means start proselytizing. Just make sure you ease them into it with something subtle and not overly hoppy, maybe the Reissdorf Kölsch.

Dweedlebug and tehzachatak like this.
  2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Ghettoblaster is easy going if you think they won't be ready for the hop-heaviness of a pale ale.

BeerBaronDarren likes this.
  3. As far as the list goes, they might like Bavik Pils.

The Kuhnhenn DRIPA is an adjunct beer.

The Wolverine Gulo Gulo is a lager.

4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Anything 10% abv and higher. Get 'em juiced proper.

5. Mother Earth Endless River.

6. Do any of them happen to like Blue Moon? If so maybe get them to try a Wittekerke.

7. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Any wheat beers. But good luck getting them beyond that point.

I have some BMC friends that gladly drink the flagship wheat at our local brewery. It's a solid beer, and I order it on occasion, but that's all they drink. They say it's the only good beer at the brewery. I'm not sure if I'm happy that at least they're drinking craft and supporting the local brewery or still frustrated that their beer horizons are so limited.

In the end, people will drink what they want to drink and they should be allowed to have their good time with their beverage of choice. Even if they do order a BMC, whatever, at least there's an awesome selection for you to enjoy.

8. nachos

nachos Aficionado (240) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

9. JG-90

JG-90 Savant (415) New Jersey Nov 29, 2012

If I were you I would try to get them to have a Lagunitas IPA or a Bell's Two-Hearted (I think Lagunitas IPA is the safer bet of the two)

10. Would you appreciate those same friends tricking you into going to a bar that only served BMC?

6packofbas likes this.
  11. I'm not one to split hairs over semantics, but "tricked" implies deception. If they knew where they were heading, then they weren't "tricked".

12. I think it was the part where you said, "I've tricked them into going, so what do I make them drink?" that may have ruffled some feathers.

13. Don't bother. If your friends are anything like a friend of my wife's who thinks that Bud Light is a true American beer they'll think they're drinking paint thinner.

14. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

PBR would be the obvious choice I think

15. Silly pils, pilsner is a pretty tame way to enter the craft world and it looked like it was on the low end of the cost spectrum.

nogophers likes this.
  16. I was just going to say that. But seriously, the hefe. Or show some Northwest live and have them go with the OREgasmic Rogue. Or tell them to just order a rum and coke of they serve any mixed drinks and drink some FBS and Hopslam for us.

17. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Shock their palate as much as possible - give 'em Sucks.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sucks isn't a palate shocker, you need something like Ruination or Hopsickle to shock a system or kill it with palate Wrecker.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  19. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I seriously laugh at anyone actually being serious if they are suggesting an IPA..

Dweedlebug and Nectar like this.
  20. Drives me nuts when I go to my local beer bar (Union Brew House in Weymouth MA) and see half the tables full of people drinking Michelob Ultras or whatever BMC beers they have there.

21. "Bud Light"? What is that?

22. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I synonymize tricked with convinced quite often.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  23. JG-90

Why? Just cuz they like Bud Light doesn't mean there is no way they would like an IPA, they may have never had a good IPA

24. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Seems some people are just listing what THEY would drink. An IPA? maybe its worked for you but in the majority of cases it wont

The real question is what do they like to eat?

25. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Agreed to an extent, but i think that its the ultimate risk/reward. I would never start with an IPA as bitterness is normally an instant turnoff for the untrained palate

26. JG-90

I feel like if you give them something too similar to what they always drink, they will just say that Bud Light is better. If you give them something very different, it might open their eyes.

27. Alextricity

That's why my friends complain now. They said it without really saying it: they drink Bud Light because it has no taste.

JG-90 likes this.
  28. JG-90

Hahah yeah I get what you are saying.
    Perhaps something along the line of "You guys need to stop being b****es and drink a real man's beer" would work. That usually causes some action in the case of college kids like us.

29. Alextricity

I've pretty much tried that, but they're still firm believers that Bud Light (and Bud Light Platinum) are beers for REAL MEN!

I can't argue that logic. Macro beer put in radical blue bottles? Shit's legit.

spike913 likes this.
  30. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The ones I go to DONT carry BMC, not even in bottles. And they have no problem getting people to come back.

Shagator likes this.
  31. Yeah then they can hold hands and sing "Kum by yah".

32. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Absolutely nothing with a hop profile! And nothing overly Malty! And nothing dark in color! I learned this from my bud light brother... but he hated NB shift lager too, I thought that would be a winner. I keep bringing some home everytime I visit to see what he thinks. Soon I'll figure the conversion formula out.

33. Alextricity

Alright, so water?

34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Seems like a lot of trouble to convert a guy who likes Bud Light, so what?

35. No just no. Up until a couple months aftet I turned 21 I was a huge Bud drinker. I swore by the company and it was all I drank. Then a couple of months after I turned 21 I went to bar with a generous craft selection,not that I knew what that was at the time so I ordered a Bud light. Then a few of the people I was with were like "what the hell are you doing getting that" blah blah blah. So I ordered craft beers and loved every single one I got that night, and this was my first craft experience. I was immediately converted so I wouldnt say its a bad idea to try to convert someone that doesnt "want" to be converted. I really didnt want to, I have friends that didnt want to, but I was shown and then I showed then what great beers were out there and they were converted.

The problem was for us is we had no idea what was out there. I say go out and try and convert your BMC drinkin friends. I am so glad someone successfully tried to convert me. And Im sure a few of my buddies are glad I converted them. And now my one buddy who was a big Coors guy, but now drinks craft, will not touch BMC beers whatsoever (claims he wants to throw up if he drinks one now).

boddhitree likes this.
  36. lol. thread title read like:

Mens Big & Tall store... full of midgets. o_O

Angst, Inchay and sacrelicio like this.
  37. Seriously, of course the answer is PBR. If your freinds are normally BMC drinkers, they are used to the BMC pricing. The PBR at $3 is the only beer even remotely in their wheelhouse.

38. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

i have that dream every night

39. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Honestly, BMC drinkers are not that bad, they're usually just ignorant to the flavor possibilities. At least one or two will like some flavor, they maybe just haven't tried much craft yet. Throw some oatmeal stouts or wheats at them, or light hops. I guarantee that if you ordered a round of Hopslams or Huma Lupas at least one or two would dig it. I've seen plenty of BMC people get into craft via Surly Furious.

40. Pasoud

Pasoud Aspirant (25) Jan 31, 2013

If you're just trying to get them something decent that they can drink, I'd send them towards any of the Pilsners.
    If you're trying to broaden their horizons a bit more, the Weihenstephaner is always a possibility. Or Fin du Monde.