1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A craft beer bar with friends that only drink Bud Light...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Feb 1, 2013.

1. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Seltzer Water with beer flavor added

Actually after thinking about it, A hef might be the way to go. If it's something close to what bud light is kinda like, they might just not like it because it's not bud light. If it's different and their expecting something different, they might have a more open mind. However... there is the problem of the person thinking there only is one beer. Unlike with something like soda, people are more willing to try different variates since they know there's not only one soda.

2. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

How about having you/them explain to the bartender what they normally drink and for him/her to make a recommendation of a good transiton beer? I'm assuming the bartenders in this place are very knowledgable of their beer list.

3. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Hey that's great and I know that kind of thing happens all the time. I've introduced plenty of people to better beer. I'm just not going to bother twisting arms to get them to try something that I think is better. Once I know somebody prefers to drink BMC, Heineken, or some other similar beer I leave them alone and let them enjoy what they like.

4. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Red Brick blond is light and very subtle

5. I agree. But I dont really believe that its been established yet that that's the case. For now it may be just a matter of not knowing what is out there. Nothing wrong with having them try a few different craft options then letting them decide if they actually prefer it or not.

6. If in doubt let them try the Boddingtons in the can. I have had more than a few of my buddies settle for it and all of them have at least enjoyed it and then they feel like they are drinking craft too. :) DRIPA is real nice as well and I up to this point hated IPA's but after having it at the brewery I just might be a little more open to trying a few more.

7. hopslam.

8. kinopio

kinopio Savant (385) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

Do they like to get drunk? Point out that some of these beers have 2.5 times the alcohol as their precious bud light. The novelty of such a strong beer might interest them. If any of them like the taste of coffee they should like Breakfast Stout. Just tell them to ask for a sample of whatever drafts sound good to them.

9. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

water.......maybe with lemon?
    modello?

10. Bartrash

Bartrash Zealot (90) Pennsylvania May 12, 2010

If the bar lets you get a flight start with that. Just don't count on a complete conversion tonight. It took me years to get some of my friends to start drinking something other than highlife. Soon my kids will stop pissing all over the seat. Its just not going to be tonight.

11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

That's one hell of a selection. Only problem is that I find large menus like that overwhelming and it would take forever for me to order anything.

12. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Well, they are still located here in St. Louis even though they're owned by a foreign company.

13. BeerMeInStl

Living in St. Louis, I have a lot of friends that are Bud Light drinkers. Most of them don't want to try anything else but I can usually get them to drink a Blue Moon, Boulevard Wheat or something like that.

14. fuck em!

I dont have this issue because all of my friends more or less drink craft beer, so hitting up the local bars with rotating taps isnt an issue with us. My family on the other hand is a different story. My uncles and grandfather either want bud, natty ice or liqour. I tricked one of them into going to a craft bar (didnt tell him they dont have bud) and tried starting him off on the bars house blonde ale. he wasnt too thrilled with it, so he switched over to shock top.

15. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Damn this place is in Ferndale and I've never even heard of it? AND they have a big whiskey and scotch list? Fuck, I'm going there sometime soon.

16. I still vividly remember going to the Dogfish Head Alehouse in DC for my Bachelor party, and my best friend, who doesn't know jack about craft beer, flew in for the event. He hated every beer he tried and eventually settled on the Indian Brown Ale. He put about 12-15 limes into the thing in hopes of turning it into a Dos Equis.

Some people, despite their wonderful presence in the world, simply can't be converted.

17. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Neither do the few that we have around here. It has actually helped turn some of my friends on to crafts

18. I had a similar situation before, I took a friend to a local microbrew and when the waitress came by he asked what they had that tasted like bud..... This is a guy that has never drank a microbrew in his life, Anyway he ended up choosing an Amber Ale and he was alright with it. They will ether like microbrew or they wont care but there is nothing wrong with introducing them to something new, I find a hefe usualy is a good start though.

19. Shagator

ST Unearthly was the first beer that I had that made me really say hey there are better beers out there. With that being said, and only having tasted a few of the beers on the list, I would go with two hearted or a stout. A higher ABV can be enticing as well. Delirium Nocturnum was another that got me into other beers than BMC and it was because of the ABV

20. Shagator

Not even any of the Schlafly?

Hockey_Fan likes this.
  21. Completely agreed. And to think that 9 people who are members of beeradvocate.com liked that post. Go home guys, you're drunk (probably on BMC). Smh

22. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

The Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA) of course! If they drink a lot of Bud products, they should be used to the taste of rice in beers lol. But seriously the Wittekerke seems like your best bet.

23. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

An asshole and a sexist -- nice combo!

And yet, I'd give anything to stroke that beard....

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  24. Shagator

he who lives in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You have a picture of Ozzie Guillen. Not exactly the voice of tolerance

25. Shagator

you could pick a beer you want/like and have them taste it. Then get another from a different style

26. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Why not take your friends to a bar that serves Bud Light, then tell them you have to take a leak and then sneak out and go to the place you like?

27. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Nicely played. He's far from my idol, though; I'm just a sad Marlins fan who is too lazy to change his avatar.

29. BeerMeInStl

You'd be surprised at how many people around here only drink Bud or Bud Light. It's what they've been drinking since they were in High School.

I'm not a big fan of Schlafly but there's usually some type of Schlafly on tap at most places.

30. St. Louis- a friend brought me a 4hands saison recently. Good beer.

31. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (315) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

I agree with that, you can't make people like a beer....people can change their views and tastes but only if they want to....I'm glad I did but I don't push people I know to do it...if they ask I'll be glad to help.

32. dalepryor

dalepryor Savant (380) Texas Aug 30, 2007

why hasn't anyone said fat tire? that would be an easy transition

33. dalepryor

dalepryor Savant (380) Texas Aug 30, 2007

The prices at that bar make no sense. Sam adams cinder bock $18!!!! sierra nevada brux $14?????

34. That sounds like a beer DFH would brew.

Chaney likes this.
  35. lol. Yeah, but they would add spit, muscat grapes, some rare honey found out on the Galapogos Islands, and 12-15 Australian finger limes. They'd then charge about $15-20/bomber. :)

spike913 likes this.
  36. Maybe the Sam Adams New World Tripel. My gf liked ONE triple she had once from 512 brewing(in Austin) and she hates evey beer I have her try. And it's Sam Adams and I'm sure that they'll feel comfortable with something they're familiar with.

37. Ever played linked? I've introduced it to a few friends that got pretty upset about how quickly they've got drunk. It's pretty funny to watch only because they don't expect it to happen.

38. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

1.) Don't tell them where you're going
    2.) When you get there, order them the most extreme beers on the menu
    3.) Insist that they'll enjoy them
    4.) Apologize when they don't
    5.) Drink all their beer
    6.) Ask your sober friends to drive your drunk ass home

39. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Why the hell is he drinking beer if he can barely stomach bud light? No offense but maybe he should stick to cranberry juice.

40. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I wonder this same damn thing all the time.