1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"A Craft Chemist Making Over Big Beer"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by TheBeerAlmanac, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Platinum is indeed a success today. Whether it will be a long term success remains to be seen. Below is something I posted previously on this topic:

“There is no doubt that Bud Light Platinum shot out of the gate; 1% of the beer category represents a quick take up of market share.

Having stated the above, “Platinum sales fell 24.9% in the 13 weeks ending July 14”. Boy, losing 25% is not an insignificant loss. We will need to monitor this situation to see whether this is just a ‘blip’ or an indication of a trend that Bud Light Platinum has ascended quickly but now is getting to be passé. Only time will tell.”

Cheers!

OddNotion likes this.
  2. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

awesome thread. i will say it will be hard for most people to give ABI a fair shake on a hoppier beer because, like most of my beer drinking friends, i will just assume it will be brewed to tempt the masses of current Bud Light drinkers. to do that it can't imagine it would fit the profile of an IPA or even west coast pale ale i would want myself. i think they are great at what they do, but what they do is not something i'm interested in these days (full disclosure: i spent a lot of time drinking Busch Light in college) . i will be curious to see how GI shapes up though in the long haul as i work for a large publicly traded manufacturing company and know how much each Q's results affect the following Q's behavior.

3. “…even west coast pale ale i would want myself”

You might be interested in knowing that until a year or so ago, that AB did indeed brew a West Coast APA that was solely distributed on the West Coast. It was called Pacific Ridge Pale Ale. It was apparently brewed to be a competitor to SNPA. The reviews of this beer are mixed:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/15301

Cheers!

4. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

cool find. i actually would have been interested to try it to see what their interpretation of the style would have been. kudos for trying something, though i can imagine why it didn't stick around long. not surprised on the mixed reviews, some people will never be OK with an ABI beer regardless of the actual finished product.

5. You can read some more about Pacific Ridge here:http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bmc-vs-craft-beer.112353/page-3#post-1666510

Cheers!

DrewLikesBeer likes this.