1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A few "Oscar Night" aged Stouts

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by GRG1313, Feb 25, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

This "oscar night" my wife has people over and, despite her knowledge that I have no desire to sit and watch an award show that holds no interest for me, she expects me to be here. So, I spend the day cooking for her and decided I was simply going to be here and taste beer, getting rid of my surplus on our unknowledgable friends! I thought (and still think) it's a great idea.

Beer one: Just opened a 2008 Abyss that has been perfectly stored since I bought it off the shelf. Color is what you'd expect with a nice dark brown head, still nicely carbonated. Nose is got some chocolate and seems inviting. However, flavors are just shot, IN MY OPINION. There is a quick front palate of some chocolate coffee that simply fades in the mouth and especially in the finish to just sour, bitter ashtray. Boozy in the middle and with very little appealing. The overwhelming character is a citric "old" sour that was, again in my opinion, not supposed to be there and is a function of being about 5 years old.

Beer two: Guess I'm going backwards on this! Figured I'd try another older stout since above was not the best. So, opened a 2009 Odell Bourbon barrel Stout. Great "pop" on pulling cork! Well, this one is also over the hill but in a very different way. Nose is a bit sour chocolate and the bottle has "soured." I'm not sufficiently knowledgable to say it's actually infected; I am sufficiently knowledgable to say that it's over the hill, thin, soured and pretty much without character. This one may actually be worse than the Abyss - this one is pretty undrinkable.

Beer Three: So, now I'm curious. Opened a bad 2008 and 2009 so, simply by happenstance believe it or not, I easily found a 2010 Mother of all Storms. What the hell, I'll do a stout tasting having not planned this whatsoever. Let's see what 2010 has to say. (Now that I'm doing this, I'm a bit sorry that I just didn't do all of the Abyss years. I have a vertical....anyone want it? Based on the above, I'm not optimistic!!) Ok...back to this 2010...nose is very rich black sweet chocolate. Really smells good; poured nice with a light khaki head. Nose is so nice I don't want to taste it and be disappointed. Ok! This one is still over the hill and showing age. However, there remains a creamy mouthfeel and hints of chocolate and sweet coffee. Unfortunately, a bit like the Abyss above, the front and first mid-palate have some charm. The back palate and finish is pretty "old sour/oxidized" and unpleasant.

Well, if I'm going to have to sit through a few more hours of listening to this stuff, I'm going to pull some things I'm hoping drink better. No more stouts for the night....at least for now. (I am looking at a bottle of the newly released AleSmith Speedway Stout with Kopi; I've had one bottle and I'm thinking of opening another so that I can have at least one good stout experience tonight!) More if I open anything else of note.

2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Disappointing! Sorry to hear your uneventful night turned into an uneventful night of less than stellar beer. Maybe next year...

3. I wax the bottles I intend to age for extended periods of time so I dont experience that you did(in terms of over oxidation). Also, temp control cellar them(not sure if you do that).
    I highly suggest the waxing part....hasent stirred me wrong yet!

4. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

The Abyss was as heavily waxed a bottle as I've ever seen! I fear that sometimes old beer is going to taste like old beer. (My beer is kept at 50 degrees.) I have a large cellar and, truth be known, I've come around more and more to fresh is best. I have found myself ruining lots of beer by aging it. And, I've got cases and cases of all styles. Just my opinion. I've "aged" with the best of them! I think I may have been making a mistake. (Clearly, this is not a hard and fast rule - there ARE exceptions!)

Kopfschuss likes this.
  5. I see whats your saying. Personally, I have not had any real bad results from ageing, but maybe I play it a little safe.

6. Agree on Mother of All Storms. Just doesn't last. Drink 'em young.

That said, the 08 Abyss I opened a couple months ago was stellar. And I'm not an Abyss guy. Exceptions!