1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A Hop Eclipse Now! An explosive celebration of Dogfish's off-centered, hop-centric ales

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

For more info and events:
    http://www.dogfish.com/community/ne...of-dogfishs-off-centered-hop-centric-ales.htm
    Lantern and dc4three like this.
  2. I am always saddened to see DFH catch heat on this site. I love their beers, I love how they experiment and I love how they knock it out of the park with their IPA's.

Great story on the first continual hopper made from the electronic football set up!
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'll try anything DFH puts out. Are they all good? No. Some are great, some are downright bad. Do I like their creativity and love of craft beer? Yes. Two new IPAs sound great to me. I'm in.

I would love to sit down and have a beer with Sam one day, seems like such an authentically nice guy.
  4. Speaking of DFH IPAs, last weekend, I cracked a 75 Minute from October. It's drinking like a champ now. The maple syrup is way more forward, which is how I hoped it would be fresh. The bottle says it ages well, and it's not lying.
  5. dawatts

dawatts Savant (310) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Its hard to forget his rap video but I do love his passion. And most of their beers.
  6. I agree with the entirity of this post.
  7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

We'd be lucky if it's even drinkable.
    jtmartino and ShogoKawada like this.
  8. Took me a long time to fully appreciate Dogfish, but now I absolutely love them! I want a Palo Santo Marron ran through a Randall filled with Fuggles and Styrian Goldings!
  9. I wonder what fruit they are going to brew their new IPA with. I think Santa Rosa plums could marry nicely with certain hop varietals.
    pixieskid likes this.
  10. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I'm really excited about this event, especially because they are doing one in Tempe, AZ just a couple hours away. If it wasn't for DFH and their constant creativity and experimentation I probably wouldn't be into craft beer the way I am today. When I was only kind of into it just because I liked drinking beer with flavor they made me get really into a variety of flavors. Plus, as stated before, Sam seems like such a genuinely cool guy and I want to support someone with passion like him.
    luwak, FriarTuckInLuck and fmccormi like this.
  11. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Agreed. Creativity and the willingness to try new brews is what makes our industry so great.
    Lantern and smutty33 like this.
  12. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

One of the best things I've ever had was aprihop filtered through Randall (with oak chips, apricots, and hops) at the Spinnerstown Hotel.

Keep on brewing Sam!
    Lantern, DonDirkA and baconman91 like this.
  13. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

oh god, the name is f'n great/hilarious... I only hope they name a beer after it.
    flayedandskinned likes this.
  14. Liquidswordz

Liquidswordz Zealot (75) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Can't wait for the Grateful Dead tribute IPA American Beauty, should be dank as hell.
  15. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Shout out to Sam and Dogfish.......

I thoroughly enjoyed watchin this.

Lookin 4ward to the collabo. w/ SN.

Cheers All......
  16. I find it interesting that none of the DFH Alehouse's around VA/MD are hosting the dinners.

17. Is that for sure the new one he was being coy about in the video?
  18. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I love DFH. Props to them for moving in interesting but not always tasty directions.
  19. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Yes! during AZ Beer Week!
    DonDirkA likes this.
  20. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Excited for the new glass! Hopefully the new IPA's are better than Hellhound....and I still miss Squall :(

Will support DFH for the rest of my life, love what they do.
    Lantern, callmeishmALE, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  21. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Yeah! Kill Hellhound, bring back Squall!!
    davey101 likes this.
  22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

WTF: there are like 50 dates for this in Florida and not one in Texas! I'm, like, ...reasonably certain... we're their biggest market!*

*note: I have no idea if Texas is DFH's biggest market.
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  23. Doesn't appear to even make their Top Five-

"Pennsylvania continues to be our number one market followed closely by Maryland, New York, Virginia and Florida."
  24. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

LOL! Good thing I put that apostophe. At least Sam brings us some choice stuff every year to Austin for the Off Centered Film Festival.
  25. I'm looking forward to getting an in-home Randall!
    kirbmeist likes this.
  26. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

saw like 8 bottles or so of this last night. waiting for some money to come in so i can snag a couple
  27. Don't buy them nearly as much, but the wine barrel it's alive I had was fantastic. I pick and choose a bit more these days.
  28. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Pick and choose a bit more with just his stuff or in general? Reason I'm asking is because I used to really be into his stuff too but now am less interested as the whole "gypsy brewing"/contract brewing is something I am caring for less...
  29. I don't buy much mikkeller these days either- I think the luster has worn off. I pick and choose more across the board- I rarely buy bombers or singles and have been buying a whole lotta 6ers these days. I guess once you try enough you fall back into what you know is dependable. I just don't have the itch to gamble with my $$$ as much on a mystery bottle.

But yeah, the wine barrel It's Alive is great! Worth a stab.
  30. He is.
    Me too.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  31. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I am excited for this as well! This may have posted already, and may not be earth shattering, but I think I may have figured out what glass they based their new IPA glass off. I found an old article from last summer that I was reading, and it mentioned they were sitting down with Riedel and Spiegelau glass makers to come up with the best IPA glass. Here is the link to the article (or do a Google search for "The Perfect IPA Glass" and article comes up:

http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2012/05/the-perfect-ipa-glass/

I searched through both Riedel and Spiegelau sites and when comparing the Rhizing Bines poster that includes a picture of a glass, I am thinking this is the glass they based it off. They said they made some tweaks to it so I am sure it is not going to look exactly like this, but similar. Anyone else agree? We shall find out soon!

[​IMG]
    Lutter and DonDirkA like this.
  32. That's a pretty slick looking glass.
    Cubatobaco, skinsfan and DonDirkA like this.
  33. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

The dinner in AZ is in 3 weeks and they still don't have a price...
  34. I was fortunate enough to meet him at the Rehoboth pub last year when I was there with my girlfriend and friend from BA. He was just casually having a beer, talking with his buddy at the pool table upstairs and welcomed us as we approached him to talk and snag a picture. Extremely nice and laid back guy.
    DonDirkA and Hanzo like this.
  35. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I'll be looking out for these DFH brews like I look out for all their releases.
    I've read that before, but it still seems crazy. I would have thought NJ would have been way bigger than MD, VA, or FL.
  36. Yeah, I was surprised not to see New Jersey among the Top 5, too (perhaps why I remembered the quote - just recalled than Texas wasn't on the list).

I think part of NJ's absence is due to the fact that while Hunterdon is one of the largest DFH wholesalers and DFH is one of Hunterdon's top selling brands, Hunterdon covers the entire state of NJ and the other states that made the list each have multiply DFH distributors. Not sure, either, what sort of the total craft market share in NJ has (I'd suspect off-premise is much more important than on-premise than in other states) but given the large amount of breweries that do distribute in NJ, that could also be a factor compared to states like MD and VA.
  37. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Sure looks like what's in the video—I can't imagine how it might be particularly superior to a good tulip like Duvel's, but who knows. CLEARLY I am no expert.
    skinsfan likes this.
  38. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I am no expert either, but I am sucker for glasses. Even if it ends up being not much different from other glasses I already have sitting at home, one of these will still inevitably find its way into my ever-growing collection.
    DonDirkA and fmccormi like this.
  39. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Me, too—I was just thinking the same thing :)
    skinsfan likes this.