1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A hoppy beer for someone that doesn't like hops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ash37, Sep 11, 2013.

1. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Savant (265) Maryland Dec 9, 2006

Try any of these suggestions on-tap.
    IPA's on tap are significantly better imo, like the difference between a plastic bagged bread and a fresh loaf out of the oven.
    I'm not a big IPA fan, but DFH 60 or 90 on tap is sublime as is Racer 5, Troegs Nugget Nectar and Hopback.

2. Fixed. Both Racer 5 and Two Hearted (and Centennial of course) have a bunch of centennial hops which really throw off an orange citrus character to them.

3. I actually couldn't disagree more with this point.

If you look at my second post or the revisions made by Kadonny, the difference in flavor profiles from different hop varieties is strikingly different. Personally I am not a fan of centennial hops, taste too much like pineapple to me, some people love pineapple and love centennial hops.

I am a huge fan of pilsners, but I find the noble hop experience to be so different from the American IPA hop experience that the last thing I'm going to recommend to someone who specifically asked about IPAs, is a pils.

As for Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin, if I know someone who loves grapefruit juice but claims not to like IPAs, I have won them over with that beer many times. I often tell them to close their eyes and imagine they are drinking a beverage flavored with grapefruit and bubblegum and not to consider that it's an IPA.

Works almost every time.

4. I
    I agree with the changes, although for me I get nothing but straight up pineapple from centennial hops, but I know a lot of people who get more citrus from them. I know I'm not alone, but it's just another example of how different hop profiles can influence the flavors and way we perceive them drastically.

5. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Only problem with All Day IPA is that it's a pretty lousy beer.

6. ash37

ash37 Disciple (70) Indiana Aug 30, 2013

Thanks for all your help guys, I have only tried like a hand full of ipa's, (like six years ago)and said "fuck it I don't like hops" but I'm a big fan of trying new thing( That's what makes micro brews so great ) And I thought there might be some exceptions to the rule. And trust me I drink the shit out of the stuff I know. I just have been curious about the hop side lately

7. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You like hops, you just don't know it. Beer would be an overly sweet mess without hops balancing it out ;)

8. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

My point was simply that the hop profile in a good German pils might be more agreeable to the Op. And you are correct that hops ain't just hops, apples to apples. The tangy, spicy IPA standards- pine trees and pineapples, etc- don't seem to work for our friend. IPA lovers don't always respond well to Saaz and Hallertau, not to mention Fuggles and Goldings for many Americans.

9. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Damn, of course you've been lambasted for this post. Everyone loves to roll their eyes on this forum without actually contributing. As they say, welcome to the internet I suppose. I'm guilty of it too though, guess it depends on how much I can relate to the OP. In this case I can.

I see it more like when I first got into sours, I didn't particularly enjoy them, but then I had Liefman's Goudenband....changed my perspective.
    You may think you don't like hops, but I thought that too until I had a fresh two hearted.
    Seems like you're just asking for suggestions to ease him into IPAs.

Two hearted is a good starting place IMHO, it's very very balanced. Not too aggressive, just check the bottle date! I had a 5 month old one and it was nowhere near as good as a 1 or even 2 month old one.

Fat Head's IPA is also great, though a bit more aggresive than two hearted on the bitterness.
    Founder's Centennial IPA is also fantastic, and Green Flash West Coast IPA as well. West Coast is very citrusy IIRC.

Freshness is key in these IPAs, my stopping point is over 2 months, I won't buy any older than that. Green Flash's bottle dates always rub off unfortunately...

10. A pilsner or pale ale. Start there.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Just keep drinking the hoppy beers you don't like, eventually your palate will conform.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  12. Sam Adams Noble Pils; it is crisp, light , and clean, but it has a nice hop profile. Then you can work your way up through the Pale Ales like SNPA and Pale 31 and take the training wheels off after that and really go for it!

ChipMurray likes this.
  13. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 10, 2013

Lagunitas Sucks

14. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

try a really solid esb!

15. ^^^^ This. I will add Lagunitas New DogTown Pale.

16. RussBeercier

RussBeercier Savant (270) Illinois Mar 24, 2013

Drink a bomber of Stone Ruination. Then go back and try some of the IPAs mentioned above. They wont seem as hoppy and you will appreciate them.

ChipMurray likes this.
  17. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Citra, mosaic, falconers flight or nelson sauvin-look for beers featuring these hops.

18. I don't think anyone started out drinking IPA's ..we all need to break in and acquire a taste some how. Start out with some American Pale Ales and then work to IPA's from there. I think Great Lakes Burning River would be a good one to start on - well balanced with a nice malt backbone. Try Anchor liberty ale as well, its more of a toned down IPA.

19. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Boulevard 80 Acre. Not an IPA, but up hopped up Wheat beer, which isn't bitter at all and showcases hops nicely!

20. To the OP: I think I have a similar palate to you. I think the bitterness is what turns you off to hop forward beers. What turned me on to hoppy beers were two things. Pale Ales as some other posters have suggested are a great starter. IPAs are all the rage but there is nothing wrong with a great pale ale. The second thing is a "fresh" or "wet" hopped pale ale or india pale ale. It's the season for these brews right now so if you can get your hands on some, give them a try. You get more of the floral, citrusy and fruity notes with less bitterness (at least IMO).

Mitchell57 and ash37 like this.
  21. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (575) California Jan 23, 2013

You should probably have yourself a Two Hearted. If you like it, learn about the hop profiles by reading some reviews on it, then try to find some somewhat louder IPAs that use the same or similar hops. If you don't like it, try another mellow, well-balanced IPA and repeat steps 2 and 3. You will eventually discover which hops you like and dislike and in what manner you prefer them in relation to the amount, the intensity, and their use. There is too wide of an array of types and usage to dismiss them all.

ash37 likes this.
  22. I'd recommend starting with some English IPAs. They tend to be less aggressive in both bitterness and alcohol content.

Worthington's White Shield, Fuller's IPA or Belhaven Twisted Thistle, to name a few.

23. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I think people who are willing to keep an open mind and explore things they may not necessarily like at first is refreshing to see. If you explore a style a little more thoroughly and THEN you find that you still don't like it, at least you have done your homework and are making an informed decision at that point. We all need to remember that labels and style categories can be a bit blurred these days, and you may be missing out on a beer you could really love if you just go by the label/category.

OP, I was not into hops at all and despised IPAs when I first got into craft beer and because of adopting the attitude you have, I have learned a lot about them and have even found some that I really enjoy from time to time. Ithaca Flower Power, Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founders Centennial are great ones to get started with.

TheJessica likes this.
  24. TheJessica

TheJessica Disciple (50) Virginia May 24, 2013

I'm a bit perplexed about all of 'non help' you're getting. I don't care for IPAs myself, but I (just like you) wanted to see if it was truly a taste thing, or if it was a taste that could be acquired. I applaud you for actually trying to overcome something you don't like, since I don't care to be limited on my options either.

I guess the first thing you should realize is that there's as many IPAs out there as there are feral cats. Not all of them can be tamed, not all of them are meant to be saved, not all of them are nice, and some will just destroy you with their bitterness.. but, then you find a couple that are redeemable, that likely have had quite a bit of love thrown at them, and you can slowly work your way towards adopting them. Now, they'll never be 'truly' tame, like a good ol' pale ale(unless their on their death bed.. or dead), but they'll *will* have calmed down quite a bit with their age.

With that said, I find that it is the West Coast IPAs that stock up on those massively bitter tasting hops are the ones that I care for least. I don't mind any of Stone's Enjoy By IPAs because typically they're fresh hops that are meant to accentuate the beer (despite them being West Coast).

I like Piraat (which is billed as a Belgian IPA) and Houblon Chouffe Doubbelen IPA Tripel simply because the hops are well balanced with lots of citrus and sweet notes.

I like Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild, since the phenolic notes left over from the Westmalle yeast seems to take a lot of edge off of those hops.

I like Mikkeller 10 because despite being brewed with 10 different hops, no one hops varietal leaps up to decimate your tongue with it's bittering sword of destruction.

I guess, to summarize, I'd recommend trying hoppy beers from outside of the United States (go Belgians!) and work your way back in, without trying to overdo it :)

ash37 and ESHBG like this.
  25. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Nice avatar, TheJessica, and that was a clever comparison to cats! ;) The only thing I would say to the OP, though, is that Belgian IPAs will show you another side of the IPA category but I feel that they are a whole other animal (pun intended in this case, I suppose?) and the flavor profiles in them will not necessarily prepare you for what you will find in many of the American IPAs.

TheJessica and ash37 like this.
  26. redmaw

redmaw Savant (325) Pennsylvania Jun 30, 2013

I'm not huge on hop bitterness, but I'm getting used to it. I say start with APAs before IPAs, in my mind they are almost the same thing but APAs are a less extreme and more palatable. Southern Tier's "Matt and Phin's" and Troeg's "Pale Ale" were both enjoyable. The first IPA (and actually a double) I actually enjoyed was Great Lake's "Alchemy Hour" which is a limited release so it might be a while before its available again. Troeg's hopback amber was also mentioned, which I think is hoppier than my suggestions, but also pretty good.

27. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

All Day IPA. Just enough hoppy flavor. It's a good beer.

28. Great question, OP. I'm more choosy about IPAs than, say, stouts or porters or Belgian ales because some IPAs just have no balance and taste like Dawn. You're gonna hate something like Green Flash West Coast IPA, period. I hate it, and I probably always will because I'm never going to like something that is so bitter. If you want to do an easy little experiment with beer you can get no matter where you are, then go get some Sierra Nevada pale ale and some Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Have the pale ale first to get into the groove of this kind of beer. Then try the Torpedo and see whether you like "kicking it up a notch." If you don't then so be it.

29. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

Try FW Pale 31

30. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

I'd say it depends on what you don't like about hops? Bitterness, taste... I have a friend who says she hates hops, but what she hates is bitterness. I gave her some Founders All Day IPA and it's her new favorite beer. If you don't like the taste... well, then you're SOL. And wrong.

31. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Savant (395) Nebraska Dec 30, 2012

My buddy that hates hoppy beers for some reason likes hoppier WHEAT beers. Not sure if be is an isolated case, but it might be worth a shot to give Lil Sumpin, Gumballhead, or 80 acre a try.

32. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion. A not so hoppy mild IPA.

33. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I'm shocked it took this long for someone to say this...I mean the whole time/money/calories thing...you're on top of it man.

Gaffattack likes this.
  34. If you can find it try Skookum Mule. It's popular here in western washington. I'm not a hops fan either and this is an American Strong Ale. It was pretty hoppy for me, but it was super good and I really enjoyed it. More hoppy than most IPA's I've tried as well.

35. On another note, out here in western washington, it seems like IPA's are like a hipster thing. I'm not really into that, so the image really sours me to begin with.

36. you just win the post of the year award, man

Gaffattack and whiskey like this.
  37. sculpin makes the best case for hops/ipas for those who previously disliked either

38. arlingtonjoe

arlingtonjoe Savant (330) Illinois Jan 20, 2013

weyerbacher double simcoe. single hop dipa with a huge malt bill

39. frothyhead

frothyhead Savant (275) New Jersey Mar 14, 2007

Buy a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and drink it until you like it. Then move on to others.

I think this is becoming a theme. If anyone just can't get into stouts and needs a stout for non stout lovers, buy a case of Courage Imperial Russian Stout and drink it until you like it...

Just not into barleywines? Buy a case of J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale and drink it until you like it...

Pyrosixer9 likes this.
  40. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Amazed only 2 people have mentioned Union Jack.
    It has almost no bittering hops, just lots of those beautiful hoppy nose and tastes. That was their goal in making it.