1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A hoppy beer for someone that doesn't like hops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ash37, Sep 11, 2013.

1. lagunitas sucks :D

2. I don't really care for IPAs typically, but I did like Firestone's Union Jack and Green Flash's Imperial IPA.

3. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

From least hoppy to most:

1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has a good, relatively muted hop flavor that isn't overpowering.
    2. Goose Island IPA is a good step up from SNPA- slightly more assertive hops but nothing insane.
    3. Founders All Day IPA- a little hoppier than Goose Island, but still not scary
    4. Bell's Two Hearted- a very balanced, full-bodied IPA where assertive hops are carried over a dominant malt backbone.
    5. SN Torpedo is a good one if you really want to taste what big, hoppy American IPAs are like.

Where you go from there is up to you. Since you're in Indiana too, all these beers should be very widely available for you.

Qbdoo likes this.
  4. Sammy Jaxxx had the right idea. Just pick up any IPA and let it sit until the hops fade. Brilliant!!!!

5. My wife doesn't like hoppy beers either (she loves the smell but hates the taste). Last night I gave her a try of the new Almanac Wet Hop Cluster IPA and she really liked it, despite it's slightly bitter (hoppy) finish, because of the strong caramel overtones...

6. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (310) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

Also, given the Indiana location, why not try Zombie Dust from FFF? It's a pretty balanced beer, so it might be a good change of pace for someone who doesn't like getting hit in the face by the bitterness/hoppiness of a lot of IPAs. Daisy Cutter is relatively mild too, I'd say.

Gaffattack likes this.
  7. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (335) Michigan Sep 2, 2013

I can't stand bitter beer, so I go to great effort to avoid them.
    I find more than enough beers that are great without all the hops.

8. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Hit of a resin from sixpoint. Its a huge hoppy brew, but its VERY well balanced

9. It's probably been said, but look for something with more fruity hops instead of bitter. Something with lots of Citra hops.

10. Since you have tried some Stone already try to get your hands on their 17th Anniversary. The citra hops are very prominent but add a nice and not overpowering flavor. Also, RuinTen is an option too if you feel like diving right in.

11. I'm an illinois native and zombie dust is pretty good

12. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

Yeah, I'd definitely agree. I haven't had either yet (FFF really doesn't distribute crap south of Indy) so I didn't want to recommend anything. Whether or not the OP can get a good selection of FFF depends on where in Indiana they live.

I think that FFF Pride and Joy is a solid APA that isn't too crazy on the hops too, which is another option the OP might look at.

13. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I second this, I had some 17th Anniv. (draft) the other day for the first time and it was good! Finishes bitter, but not in an overwhelming way at all.

14. Maybe Samuel Smith's IPA, or other Brittish or Belgian style IPAs, or you could try hoppy pale ales like Sierra Nevada and then work your way into IPAs

15. RaggaD

RaggaD Savant (345) Florida Jun 29, 2013

I think Two-Hearted and Racer 5 are both really good choices. Although as other's said why force yourself to drink what you already know isn't your bag. If you haven't tried Jai Alai you could give that a go as I don't understand how someone could not enjoy that wonderful beverage

16. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

Here are some pretty easy drinker IPAs
    • Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
    • Dogfish head 60 minute
    • Founders All Day IPA
    • Bronx Brewery Pale Ale
    And I think the easiest one and perhaps the one to start with: Stones Cali-Belgique IPA (A Belgium and IPA all rolled together)

17. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

This is like asking for guys that an inveterate lesbian would sleep w/.

18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Stone pale ale. Not super hoppy, but has enough to notice and get your toes wet. Or you can get a can of heady and jump right in. Heady topper is the hoppy beer that got me into hoppy beer.

19. Take a bomber of Hop Stoopid and make that person bong it

20. Graviz

Graviz Savant (290) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

Because don't you know if you age any ipa it'll turn into a world class barleywine. ;)

21. You are from Indiana drink some Gumballhead

22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I've heard that, but if I was going to experiment it wouldn't be a Pliny. In this case Sammy just lost track os a beer and its now a doorstop or book marker, it happens I've done it too, but I give them away.

23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Still thinks its ridiculous , iif you hate bitter ipa's aren't it.

I don't care for sours yet, a work in progress. So I hate sour, recommend a sour that's not sour.

24. i would suggest Boulevard 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat. it has that nice hop aroma but isn't overly hoppy at all, but the name will let you feel like your drinking a hoppy beer. it is a very good crisp, refreshing wheat beer by boulevard.

25. Qbdoo

Qbdoo Savant (300) Illinois Sep 1, 2013

While folks are suggesting some great beers, a lot of these are hop bombs - which so many of us love but you are not likely to, at least not at first. So I'll second a few of the tamer suggestions here and add one or two:

Great Lakes Burning River (what I buy for my guests who aren't hop heads).
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (the gateway beer for many of us).
    Harpoon IPA (not world class but a great intro - widely available)
    Bell's Two-Hearted (perhaps the most perfectly balanced IPA)
    Zombie Dust (just you wait and see!)

Enjoy!