1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

A kinda crazy/interesting trade box story. Must read. Pretty funny.

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by BayAreaBeers, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayAreaBeers

BayAreaBeers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 California

OK, here it goes:

I trade with a guy out of Florida on a pretty regular basis. BTW, great trader! This particular trade is probably our 10th or so. So we know or tastes and what not.

He sent out a surprise box to me. Man I love those! He emails me the tracking after he figures out something has gone wrong at some point during the shipment to let me know to keep an eye out. So I'm excited that he sent out a box, but am also now kinda bummed that it hasn't moved in 3 days.

Finally after 4 days of no movement it leaves it's last place of origin. I'm super exited to say the least. It's on the move again. We figure that something broke and they decided to go a head with the shipment anyways.

Low and behold 9 days after it left Florida it arrives in California at my house!!!!

Something is off though...It arrives not in the box he sent to me. It arrives in a office file box that is taped to shit with fiber tape. I think OK, at least it made it.

[​IMG]

If you look at the original label, something did break at one point during it's journey...
    [​IMG]

As I open the box I see:
    [​IMG]

Here is the "note"
    [​IMG]

As I pull back the unpteen pounds of saran wrap I see
    [​IMG]

Yeah your eyes are correct, that's 2 Natural Light's and a Either and a Or! I think to myself that is freaking hilarious of him to send a couple Natural Light's as a joke.

The next layer of saran wrap is pulled back and low and behold
    [​IMG]
    MORE NATURAL LIGHT! YES!!! my day is shaping up pretty nicely now. Forget about the Guava Grove and MZ, it's all about Free the Weiners a Liberty Pale Ale!!
    Now I'm literally on the floor historically laughing. He has a sense of humor but DANG, this is crazy.

So I email him back to show him the pics. The first thing that he says is I didn't send the 3 Natural Light's or the weird pale ale thing. Now tears are coming out at an uncontrollable rate from laughing so hard.

Here is what we figure, A MZ broke (because of the dark stain on the original label) and a Maracaibo was either "traded" for 3 Natural Light's or it broke also. So The guy at the post office who opened the original package put 3 Natural Light's and a weird home brew in there, packed it all back up and sent it on it's way to me. Are you kidding me?! Freaking hilarious!!

The end result
    [​IMG]

cosmicevan, yamar68, Etan and 10 others like this.
  2. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

He's been shipping to you via USPS? Wow....

Also, in my experiences, UPS/Fed-Ex don't really care that you send beer most of the time.... the "Oh you'll lose it if something breaks" is greatly over-exaggerated

3. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

USPS?? There ya go!

4. BayAreaBeers

Are you guys serious? Have you ever heard of anything like this from USPS? It's a first for me.
    I have more problems with fed-ex and ups than USPS. This is a first. USPS is cheaper, faster and they WILL still deliver after something breaks. You guys need to really think about how you ship, because your just wasting money in my opinion. There is not a carrier out there who "cares" for your package better than the other. Open your eyes guys.

franklinn and tacosandbeer like this.
  5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

You can be prosecuted for shipping alcohol via USPS, not with FedEx or UPS.

Food for thought.

(Edit: Although that is a pretty crazy story)

tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. BayAreaBeers

Really, how? They are not owned by the government (a common misconception) since the 80's.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  7. jl28r1

Are you saying that the USPS is a private company? Hmmmm....

8. Gonzoillini

https://stamps.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/179/~/usps-content-restrictions

Here is the pertinent information:

These items can never be placed in mail, and attempting to present them for mailing may result in your package being refused, or confiscated, or destroyed and could make you liable for Federal prosecution.

Alcoholic beverages of any sort with an alcohol content 0.5% by weight or greater.

Cheers!

9. ediaz

ediaz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2011 Florida

That's hilarious and awesome. Cheers

10. BayAreaBeers

On about.com
    Until adoption of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, the U.S. Postal Service functioned as a regular, tax-supported, agency of the federal government.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  11. BayAreaBeers

Your also not "supposed" to ship alcohol through fed-ex or ups if you are not a bushiness.

This could go bad quick, so I digress. This story is freaking hilarious.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. Gonzoillini

Agreed pretty hilarious story.

Last point on the FedEx / UPS / USPS shipping alcohol thing, you are correct in that you are not "supposed" to ship alcohol with the private companies. However, it is against company policy without any risk of legal prosecution. Bit different with USPS who can prosecute (although to be fair I've never heard of it actually happening).

Cheers!

13. BayAreaBeers

Per UPS:
    Note: UPS provides service for other alcoholic beverages (beer and alcohol) on a contract basis only. For shipments containing beer or alcohol, shippers must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of beer or alcohol as applicable, must be licensed and authorized under applicable law to ship beer and alcohol, and may ship only to licensed consignees. UPS does not accept shipments of beer or alcohol for delivery to consumers. UPS accepts shipments of beer or alcohol only among and between selected states.

Found here:
    http://www.ups.com/wine#Who+Can+Ship+Wine

Per Fed-Ex:
    Prohibited or Restricted Articles
    1. Alcoholic BeveragesOnly licensed entities may ship alcohol of any type with FedEx. For more information, go to fedex.com/us/wine. Consumers may not ship alcohol.
      1. Licensee to Licensee. FedEx will accept alcohol shipments (beer, wine and spirits) when both the shipper and recipient are either licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers or licensed importers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details.
      2. Licensee to Consumer. FedEx will accept wine shipments from licensed entities directly to consumers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details. Shipments of beer or spirits to consumers are prohibited.
    Found here:
    http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html
    We are all screwed! lol C'mon guys, absolutely none of us fall into or follow any of these rules and regulations.
    PS: sorry, I know I said I'll stop... I just wanted to post that from both of the "major" shipping companies.

14. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

The main reason not to ship USPS is because they fucking suck ass and are absolutely the worst possible carrier. I cannot wait until Congress decides to cut its losses and fully privatize them.

ehammond1, cfh64 and domtronzero like this.
  15. BayAreaBeers

Completely missed and thank you for the good luck... apparently i'm going to need it.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  16. jl28r1

From the source, the word "comparable" is key. Kind of funny story anyway.:slight_smile:

17. jl28r1

At least they gave the OP some free beer!:sunglasses: I expect my tax rate to go up now, those Natty Lights probably cost us more than those famous $400 hammers the Govt. was buying for a while....:slight_frown:

BayAreaBeers likes this.
  18. Duff27

Duff27 Pooh-Bah (2,468) Feb 10, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Where is San Fancisco?

19. BayAreaBeers

Right smack dab in the middle of awesomeness.

20. silentjay

silentjay Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

They are no longer FUNDED by the government. They are still RUN by the government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.