1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

A krausen after 9 days withNorthwest Ale Yeast? Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nervousbrewer, Apr 3, 2012.

1. nervousbrewer

nervousbrewer Member

I brewed a beer 9 days ago and it still has a pretty good krausen on it. Is that normal? I mean, it's not normal for me. Usually my beer flattens out 6-7 days after I brew. I started with a very active yeast starter of Wyeast Northwest Ale Yeast (#1332) and had activity on the surface 4-6 hours after I pitched. I have also been regulating the temperature. Started at 67 or so, and have been moving the temp up gradually over the past 9 days. I think it's up to about 72 now. This batch was 1.066 og. I haven't done a beer that big in a good while, so maybe I'm just not remembering the fermentation process of a bigger beer?
    I guess my only concern is that this maybe some kind of infection?
  2. cracker

cracker Member

I've seen this many times with some yeast, especially top cropping yeast or those that don't flocculate well. I've never used 1332 so I have no personal experience. Your beer is likely fine. I wait at least 3 weeks before kegging my ales anyways.
  3. MLucky

MLucky Member

This sounds perfectly normal to me. It's not unusual for krausen to hang around for a few days, maybe even a week or more, after primary fermentation. If it was my beer, I'd take a reading to see if I'd reached my expected FG, then start edging the temperature down. My guess is that as soon as the sugar's gone and temp start falling, the krausen will disappear fast.
  4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Member

Same thing happened to me with that yeast on a Black IPA I did about a year ago. When you say it started at 67°, was that right after fermentation got started?