1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A Little Help w/ Cantillon in SE Michigan

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by travMI13, Feb 24, 2012.

1. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I had my first gueuze experience this past weekend during the Belgian Beer Fest at Ashley's Westland. A friend and I split a bottle of Cantillon Classic. It was wonderful; I fell in love with it.

Apparently, these beers are harder to come by than I had anticipated as I have done some searching to no avail. Do any sour lovers know of any bottle shops that occasionally get brews from Cantillon? Any tips would be greatly appreciated; I think I severely underestimated the popularity of this brewery.

I'm also open to more readily available suggestions that fit the bill. So far, I tried the Hanssen's Oude Gueuze today, and I enjoyed it. I will be cracking a 3F Oude Gueuze that a friend found for me within a couple weeks.

2. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

It's been a very long time since I've seen a bottle of Cantillon on the shelf at any of the big beer stores in SE MI. Even the few hole in the wall joints that had bottles collecting dust have been cleaned out. I've come to the conclusion that if I want any I'm going to have to trade for it.

3. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Extremely difficult to find, A few stores got some a few months ago and they were gone the same day. Most likely you will have to trade for it. Good Luck!

4. travMI13

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help.

5. Try the Oud Beersel Oud Gueuze, Lindeman's Cuvee Rene, Boon Gueuze. Those seem to be pretty widely available now. Great stuff. Cantillon is almost impossible to find.

6. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

Cantillon is pretty hard to find all across this country :(

I think Drie Fonteinen Oude gueze fits my palette better and is a bit easier to find, but the Armand'4 hype has made these scarce too. Other than 3F or Cantillon, only Boon Marriage Parfait and Girardin 1882 Black are acceptable, reasonably available, replacement-level gueze. Some beers like Gueze Fond Tradition or Lindeman Cuvée Rene are fine and cheaper, but not nearly good. The Hanssens I find to be too acetic and often under carbonated giving it an oily and heavy mouthfeel

7. travMI13

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start working my way through these during the summer months and see if I can pick out a readily available favorite.

8. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Hanssens is a lot different than the other gueuze named. It has a lot more fruit character, dried apricots and dried peaches.

9. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I've read positive things about Oude Gueuze Tilquin, so I may have to pick one up and see.

10. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

Oh yes, by all accounts Tilquin is great. He's the only other blender that currently uses Cantillon wort

11. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

He is fantastic at it as well. I'd drink it any day of the week, even side by side with classic.