1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment A map/distribution feature I'd really like to see (eventually)

Discussion in 'Site' started by draheim, Apr 26, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Obviously this isn't going to happen in the near term, given all the integration work lately. But eventually I think a really cool, valuable feature for the site would be another integration with all the geographic/distribution information available on www.seekabrew.com or other similar beer database—especially if that database also included imports, which the current seekabrew site doesn't have.

Say you click on Ohio, and you're able to pull up the top 100 beers available in Ohio, ranked according to some algorithm based on BA reviews. Even better, you could choose to pull up a list of the top 100 beers produced by Ohio breweries, or the top 100 beers distributed in Ohio (from anywhere). Maybe you could even generate top lists by style for each state.

I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but I'd think the trickiest part would be to link the brewery data between both databases (seekabrew distribution and BA reviews/beers), and of course keeping the distribution part up to date. All the information is already there, it's just a matter of building connections between all the "brewery" fields and then figuring out the algorithm (which I imagine would be similar to the current Top 100 lists).

Cheers!

2. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

I'd be game to take a crack at this... if the Bros gave me cross-domain query rights :p

oldp0rt likes this.
  3. Interesting idea although keeping it up to date might be extremely time consuming for these guys.

4. draheim

Once the database was in place/linked it could be simply a matter of leaving it to BA members to "report an update" as is currently done to add a photo, submit a correction, etc. Each main brewery page could also have a "distribution" field added where you could check boxes for states and countries where that brewery's beers are distributed.

5. Yeah I understand. I'm sure it would be a very good tool to have although the seekabrew is already very useful and convenient.

6. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

RateBeer already has essentially this exact feature if I recall correctly (I'm not really ever on there). And it doesn't work. There's not really any motivation for store owners or users to keep something like this meticulously up-to-date.

Ideally, I'd love to set up a distributor portal that is linked to the BA database where they can keep a current list of what they are distributing in the state, but I can't imagine that even 10% of them would use it. I'm open to input from anyone working in the distribution industry to tell me that I'm wrong and they'd love to maintain a current beer list, but I remain skeptical unfortunately. Plus, as stated, I'd also need the Bros on board with me hitting their database.

7. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

The problem with the RateBeer implementation (from what I can tell... I don't really use RB either) is that it's based on reports of what's available at a specific store, not what's distributed to a given state. I think it's pretty much identical to the old BeerSpy which used to be on BA and didn't really work, either. Distribution at a state level, though, doesn't require too many updates and probably wouldn't be that hard to maintain -- as evidenced by the aforementioned seekabrew.com and the Google spreadsheet behind it, which aren't perfect but are pretty good.

It's understandable if this doesn't get a high priority, but I definitely support the idea.

8. draheim

I'm definitely not suggesting anything like this. I just think you could take the kind of distribution data available @ seekabrew and magnify its usefulness by coupling it w/ the specific beer ranking/review data available on BA.

9. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I completely agree with you. I was trying to correct FalconA's misinterpretation of what you said, but apparently did a poor job ;)

10. draheim

Not at all, I understood what you were saying as a clarification to the previous post. I did take a look @ RB but couldn't see what FalconA was talking about, unless this is a "premium" (or whatever) feature only.

11. another way to get would be to capture a few more fields when you say that you 'got' a beer - where did you get it and (another option) how much did you pay?. then when you view a beer's page, you can see the most recent places where people 'got' it - and you'd be able to do the type of reporting you're looking for (top 10 beers that were 'got' in ohio, etc.)

12. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

This would be great if it wasn't so work-intensive. Although something like this is exactly what the internet is made for ;)

13. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I was showing this site to a friend a couple weeks ago, and while trying to explain how it is useful (he was a bit difficult), I ended up going to seekabrew.com. I was thinking about this, and had an idea very similar to this. What I think would be a worthwhile addition to this suggestion (and potentially more difficult and time-consuming) would be the ability to see whether or not a beer/brewery is available in your area on the beer/brewery's page. Even more complicated would be a way to integrate seasonal beers' rough release schedules. Here is my line of thinking:

If I am new to this site, or just don't happen to know my local market incredibly well (as I assume most regulars on BA do), and I go to a bar and try an IPA I really like. So, I get on BA, and thanks to one of its many great features, I am able to look up a number of other IPAs that the BA community rates highly. Then I go out to my local beer store looking for Pliny, Heady Topper, Jai Alai, or Hopslam in July, whatever, but none of those are in my distribution. It would be a great addition if I were able to see which of these beers I was going to be able to get.

Anyway, this seems like a giant project that would be very complicated, but I think it would be a great feature for everyone, especially newer users.

14. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I think it would be addition to the site. It's definitely doable, but would require a lot of input from trustworthy sources (preferably the breweries) and then regular maintenance to ensure it's as accurate as possible.

Lantern and ColdPoncho like this.
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

This is a great idea. Some states have incredible imports from other states, and it isn't always so transparent in the threads about "what can I get in your state?".