1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment A New Top Beer List?

Discussion in 'Site' started by Sludgeman, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I read the "Is it bad so many of the best Top 250 are over 10%?" thread and it got me to thinking - how about a top session beer list? A list of the most highly rated beers below 5.0% ABV - here is the BA definition.

session beer
    n.

Any beer that contains no higher than 5 percent ABV, featuring a balance between malt and hop characters (ingredients) and, typically, a clean finish - a combination of which creates a beer with high drinkability. The purpose of a session beer is to allow a beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or session, without overwhelming the senses or reaching inappropriate levels of intoxication. (Yes, you can drink and enjoy beer without getting drunk.)
    It would not matter the style of beer, just highly rated and below the ABV. BTW, the current site does not allow one to sort a top list by ABV.

2. You can look at the top beers in individual styles. Sessionable beer isnt a style however.

3. Good point - I guess I am looking for the extra level of convenience. A quick way to find good low ABV beers no matter the style. Also not suggesting that "sessionable beer" be a style as much as another way of sorting all beers in the database.

4. Good idea but 5% is to low ,6 would be better.

5. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

How about a best non-imperial stout/IPA/barleywine/sour list? But then again, who wants to drink beers outside of those styles?

6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Any time the word "session" is included, there will be conflict :)

If they ever do anything like that, I supposed having "big" beers and "small" beers might be easier. I don't necessarily think we need it, though. The list has changed a ton over the years and I'm sure it will continue to do so. Beer trends tend to dictate where the list ebbs and flows.

7. How about "yummy low ABV beers" or "highly rated beers of which I can drink many and not fall down"?