1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A Pennsylvanian in San Diego: BA get-together?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by CurtFromHershey, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Greetings from the other side of the country,

My wife is going to San Diego on business the week of Feb. 4th 2013 and I decided to tag along. I'll have plenty of time on my hands during the day while she's off doing business-y type stuff. I have already read through several old threads and have gathered info on the must-see's. However, aside from some beer stores, I am not very interested in being "that guy" by going to bars and breweries alone.

So would anyone be interested in getting together for a nice, laid back, bottle share/tasting event? I, of course, would bring along some PA locals for the event.

So here are my questions:

1) What beers would you want me to bring along? I think Victory distributes to CA, and Troegs and Weyerbacher are probably the only other two worthwhile PA breweries that I have access to. Perhaps a can or two of Yuengling as a novelty?

2) Venue. Are there any BYOB joints w/ no corkage fees? I assume you can't have open containers in SD so Balboa park or a beach would be out as options.

3) Who would be interested? It would probably have to be Tuesday Feb. 5th or Wednesday the 6th and definitely during normal business hours. Will this tasting event end up as just me drinking PA locals in my hotel room alone?

Cheers,
    Curt
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  2. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

In LA myself, but good thing for you is tossing this out/organizing for SD BA's that can join you so well in advance. Just to assist with question 1, other breweries you could bring that you may have access to that we don't have access to (other then by online shops that ship or to trade) are Smuttynose, Bells,Three Floyds, Hopping Frog, Southern Tier, Founders (though Founders has admitedly hit SD a bit, but very limited & not consistent by any means). Not sure if you do have access to any of those in PA, but we here in Socal, do not. Good luck, hope you have a great vacation, and get a share going.
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  3. I had no idea you couldn't get Southern Tier, Bells, or Founders in CA (all of which I have at least some access to). My suitcase gets heavier every time I think about a bottle share haha

I definitely hope this garners enough interest (even just a couple folks) cuz I think it would be a great time
  4. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Where is your hotel located?
  5. Near the convention center

Although I would be willing to venture into other areas of the city as well
  6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I do love a good bottle share. That is a little far in the future for me to be able to know if I can host one. I will need to see how my work schedule is, and check with Mrs. Nanobrew to make sure nothing is going on.

As for BYOB places... there are some that are more casual about it, but don't know about hosting a full on bottleshare. I know there are a couple BAs that are close with some bar owners who might be able to pull it off, but nothing that is 100% certain.

Most parks you cannot drink at. Though there are a few in OB that you can. So if we did want to do this as a potluck hang out at a park I know a good location. You are right about the beaches, no drinking.
    CurtFromHershey and ehammond1 like this.
  7. This would be most generous and unexpected should you be able and willing. I would be sure to "tip the waitstaff" with some gifts from PA

Yeah, this would probably only work if it ends up being a very small crowd of 3-5 folks. There are only so many appetizers you can order before a restaurant would get annoyed with a large group of folks taking up space, especially if it's busy.

I was able to hunt down a document which details which public areas have a 24 hour alcohol ban, 12 hour (8pm-8am) and 16 hour (8pm-12pm) alcohol ban. If no one would want to host (which I hadn't even considered until your post) maybe a potluck would be the best bet. We would just need to organize things like cups, water, ice, snacks, etc. Does it ever rain in SD (only half-kidding)? If so, perhaps a park with a pavilion or two would be wise.
    http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode/MuniCodeChapter05/Ch05Art06Division00.pdf
  8. nanobrew

the park i was thinking of is Collier Park in OB, which allows drinking, and OB is a very relaxed area of San Diego. The downside to this place is there are no restrooms, which would be an issue for a tasting.

I usually host good size tastings every few months at my place, so I am no stranger to the idea. I just cannot commit to anything as I may get very busy with work around that time.

If you are looking to just drink casually with a few people I would recommend Olive Tree Market's tasting room. It is open Th-Sat 4-10pm. They have 9 beers to sample (and wine) which rotate weekly. It is usually no problem to bring a bottle or two in to share with people, though a full on bottle share is probably not a good idea. The place can get packed as there is only room for about 15 people.
  9. Dude, with a tasty beer by your side, you're never alone. Plus, it's craft beer. High alcohol content. Conducive to getting buzzed, getting happy and meeting people. And like Will Rogers said: a stranger is just a friend that you ain't met.
  10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Another option: bar hop and meet people at the better beer bars. Belly up and order something local to SD. Then tell the bartender you brought a beer to share with them and whatever patrons are sitting around you. Usually they'll pull out some sample glasses and pass it around. Mid week mid day you might have trouble finding people to commit to any type of large share.

Take a cab out to 30th and hit up Tiger!Tiger!, Toronado and some other joint that's in walking distance. Tick tick tick.
  11. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Yeah that'll be the tough part (not sure if nanobrew noticed that in the first post?).
  12. nanobrew

yep, missed that. I just saw the Feb 4th comment, and naturally thought the weekend. Weekday nights are very tough, during the day on weekdays are impossible.
  13. Yeah, I figured it would be tough which is why I wanted to get the word out early. If it ends up only 1 or 2 folks can meet up with me to enjoy some PA locals or other beers not available in SoCal, that's fine too. There's a chance nugget nectar will come out before I leave, so perhaps even a small IP trade or two would be an option.

Either way, I'm psyched to be heading to San Diego so soon into my craft beer journey!
  14. Wanted to bump this now that it's getting a bit closer. I've decided I am not above drinking alone at bars, so I've mapped out some places I want to hit. Definitely want to hit PP OB and Olive Tree, Toronado/TigerTiger/Linkery, and neighborhood/knotty barrel/Best damn beer shop. Might hit bottlecraft and monkey paw too if I have time and nothing else to do.

Looks like nugget nectar will be available on site before I head to CA, so hit me up if anyone wants to arrange a small IP trade. Also still would be up for a small bottle share if anyone would be available. Feb 5th-7th during the day I am currently commitment-free.
  15. MacNCheese

Skip the Knotty Barrel, it's not really a craft beer joint-they're just trying to cash in on the boom, take the time and get over to Monkey Paw. Neighbhorhood will trump Knotty in every facet, so you might as well tick off a brewpub while downtown.

Also, while walking from Olive Tree to PP OB (or verse-vise), you should poke your head into Newport Pizza and see what they have on tap.

Else your intinerary looks pretty solid for the time you have.

FYI: The Linkery charges an automatic 20% tip for you. Because their service 'is just that good you don't need to bother thinking about tipping'. This brings up some controversy in the area and I've eated at the place once and will probably never return. 2 other options right near Toronado, the pizza joint a few doors north is a personal favorite of mine or right across the street from the pizza joint (and maybe up a few more storefronts) is the Ritual.

I think Ritual has better beer than Linkery...but it's your call.
  16. MacNCheese

Post Script:

Bottlecraft is opening in NorthPark near 30th & University. No need to hit up the Little Italy location (go to MonkeyPaw instead), and hit it after Toro. Should be open by then:

https://www.facebook.com/Bottlecraft
  17. Duly noted about Knotty Barrel. Thanks for the heads up. Also thanks for another suggestion in OB. I was hoping to find something else to do in that neck of the woods to make the trip to that part of town more worth it. I was more planning on hitting the linkery for the food rather than the beer, but I'll take into account the automatic tips before I decide. I usually tip 20% anyway if the service is decent, but automatic tips typically do not lend themselves to quality service.
  18. MacNCheese

Check out the menu's at both and go what suits your fancy. The auto 20% generally catches people by surprise.

There's more places in OB, like the OB Noodle House and Raglan Public House if you want to keep the adventure going. Noodle house is obviously oriental and the Raglan is New Zealand themed. There are so many places opening up monthly it's hard to keep track of. I'm a Toronado drinker myself, but rarely get there much anymore. I also love OB Pizza Port...you cannot go wrong there.
  19. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

You summed up every experience I've ever had at the Linkery in just those few words.
  20. MacNCheese

I only had to go once to learn my lesson.
    domtronzero likes this.
  21. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Haha. Fool me once...

Edit: The first time I went on my own accord I ordered the sausage plate. Yep. That's exactly what it was. A single sausage on a bare white plate. I figured that a place called the Linkery would have been a bit more upscale with their sausage than that. And yah, the service was terrible. The only other couple times I've been there were when friends had already decided to go there and I was on the hook for meeting them. I can't say the service ever got any better. Neither did the food/presentation.
    KaslD likes this.
  22. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

The Linkery is garbage. Been there once, I'll never go again. (and I live in North Park)
  23. The linkery is off the list... glad I checked in about it. Thanks for the responses gents.

Any other NP suggestions for food? Doesn't necessarily have to have a great beer selection. 3 days of nonstop drinking in SD after spending several days in Sonoma doing nothing but drinking wine and RR may require a short break.
  24. MacNCheese

Which meals are you looking for advice for? Breakfast will be different than Dinner.

I used to live in North Park, but having been gone 2 years I'm sort of out of the every changing lineup.
  25. Probably a lunch, although I would gladly eat breakfast food for lunch.
  26. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Curt
    Nugget Nectar is one of my favorites. I would be glad to arrange a trade. Let me know what would be easy for you, the 4th or 5th. I can meet up during the day somewhere to eat, drink, whatever. Toronado, OB Pizza Port, etc works for me.
    Cheers
  27. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

Any other NP suggestions for food? Doesn't necessarily have to have a great beer selection. 3 days of nonstop drinking in SD after spending several days in Sonoma doing nothing but drinking wine and RR may require a short break.[/quote]

Carnitas shack on University. Small bar for Sat or Sunday brunch. 15 bucks gets you one of like 10 choices with a beer of choice or phat bloody Mary. Second for Monkey paw and Neighborhood (downtown). You also have Regal Beagle, Johnny Browns and The Local. If you make your way north to Stone or Port/ Lost Abbey, you have to hit Societe, Green Flash, AleSmith, and Ballast Pt. BP can be had either in Linda Vista or up north in Scripps Ranch. Urge is also on the way to North county in Rancho Bernardo.

BM me and I will give you contact info. Perhaps we could meet up. How could I forget Obriens in Kerney Mesa..

Cheers
    Alan
  28. Yeah I am down for something. If you take a trip up to stone the first day you are here odds are there will still be some great stuff left from Winter Storm
  29. Danwho and I have an IP trade lined up at pizza port OB Tues Feb 5th ~noon. All are welcome to join us for food+beer. If I remember, I'll update this thread that morning with what I'm wearing or a quick way to spot me. Cheers :)
  30. On another note, I'd like to pick up a bottle or two of something local for a co-worker of mine. He tells me the hoppier the better. What's the hoppiest easily available beer in so-cal? I want to absolutely murder his palate.
  31. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

If your friend likes IPAs, you MUST make the drive up to Alpine. Bring him a Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Wouldn't call any of those a palate-wrecker, just some of the finest IPAs in the world.
  32. nanobrew

Enjoy By might still be available at one of the Stone Store locations. That is a great beer.
  33. Appreciate the replies gents!

Will anyone be joining danwho and I at PPOB on the 5th for lunch and beers?
  34. nanobrew

I might be able to do that, I work close to PPOB and go to lunch there frequently
  35. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (260) California Aug 19, 2011

negatory
  36. sad trombone
  37. Enjoy By is available in the Philly area right now Curt. So it would be silly to buy it in San Diego to bring home anyway.
  38. I'll actually be in San Diego before the next chance I'd have to make it to Philly. Geography has never been a strong suit of mine
  39. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

Simtra and Hop Shortage. Palate Wrecker from Green Flash is bomb too.
  40. I am down for this