1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bug A potential problem with the search bar

Discussion in 'Site' started by drabmuh, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

I attempted to do a search for the Tired Hands beer "Hop-A-Tact" but when I searched this term nothing came up and the search bar had deleted the "-" and made it one word...this appears to be a bug.

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

If you type it w/o the dashes pulled right up. (I can see the dashes being a bug though, is my point as well)

Cheers!

3. Slight thread jack (it is related though)
    When I'm in the forum why doesn't a search for a beer yield results (other than threads on said beer) but the same search from the home page finds it no problem.

I know that from the home page you can select beer, place etc. Why isn't that option available on the forum search bar as well?

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I reckon it's because the 2 sites aren't totally integrated yet.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This is unrelated and was somewhat discussed in the Announcement posts. It's not a bug. The forum is completely different from the rest of the site and we've yet to fully integrate both; search being part of that. This probably won't be fully addressed until one of the phases of site redesign when we replace the search completely.

The search defaults to a strict search (all terms are matched) and as "-" is a modifier when using loose search it's removed. Problem was it was joining any hyphenated words when it removed the hyphen.

This has been fixed. A search for Hop-A-Tact using the default search will now work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.