1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A Question I Should've Asked A Year Ago

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Reading a different thread on priming sugar amounts and just realized I've never seen this question, and so I'll ask it.

When bottling I boil up my priming sugar and let cool over night with the lid on the pot, then in the morning add to the bottling bucket, rack, stir, fill. If I am boiling only 1 pint of liquid, and adding this to 5+ gallons of beer, do I need to worry about cooling it first? By the time the full amount of beer is mixed into that pint of boiling liquid, I would think it maybe increases the total temp by 1*F. Most of my yeast would be coming from the end of the syphoning into the beer that is the same temp as before, so killing off all the yeast isn't really an issue at that point.

What say ye?

2. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

when i bottle, i just pitch it into the bucket and rack on top of it. may or may not be correct, but it's what I do. bottles carbonate just fine, and knock on wood, i've never had an infection.

3. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

When I bottled I did not cool it other then letting it sit off the stove while I set up my bottling/siphoning equipment (~20mins). By that time iit had cooled off enough to not worry about adding boiling water to a plastic bucket.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  4. It's very simple to fill your sink with cold water, add ice & some salt perhaps, stir it around, and place the covered pot in the ice bath for quick cooling. No, this is not a huge amount, but why would you ever risk leaving it to cool overnight or adding a scalding hot mixture to a much larger batch? Just my two cents.

5. I always let it cool down but you could probably rack the beer on it without letting it cool down. I agree it wouldn't make much of a temp difference.

6. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I try to boil the priming sugar as the first step in my bottling routine, that way, by the time everything else is ready it is cooled to a reasonable temperature (~100F) and the volume of priming sugar water is so small that I doubt it has the ability to raise 5 gallons by even a fraction of a degree.

7. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

Ice bath's in the sink couldn't be much easier.

8. I boil it, dump it in the bucket still hot as all (expletive), rack my beer on top, and bottle. Everything carbs up just fine.

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

That's what I was thinking, I just never thought about it until now. Much easier. Thanks.

10. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (385) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

what he said.

11. I usually boil my priming sugar solution first, and then let it cool down in a cold water bath while I sanitize my bottles and and equipment. I just assume that by the time I'm ready to rack my beer into the bottling bucket it's cooled down enough to not be an issue.

12. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

When I bottle, I boil the priming sugar the night before and let it cool on the stove. Never thought about just racking onto the hot solution but I could see that working without a problem.