1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A quick run thru MI?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by SeanS, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SeanS

SeanS Aficionado (115) New York Feb 13, 2013

Hi all,

My wife is going to be in Michigan next week (we've worked out an arrangement where everytime she travels she has to pick me up a beer - I love her!) and need your advice on where she could pick up a good six pack of locals or a bomber or two.

She will be in the plymouth/livonia area. She won't be going east of that but will be headed west near Ann Arbor (and of course by DTW).

Ideally would like to hear your thoughts on where to get good brews off the shelf or do I need to beg her to go to a brewery to pick something up really good, like kuhnhenn?

Would be interested in having her grab some good brews from a couple of the following:
    Bells
    Kuhnhenn
    Dark Horse (what I can't get in NYC)
    Founders (what I can't get in NYC)
    Great Lakes
    Arcadia
    New Holland
    Maybe even search for a BC cherry rye?

What do you think? Possible?

2. Good luck on Cherry Rye - those are about as rare here as anywhere else. There aren't many options for MI bottling breweries in the Livonia/Plymouth area, so she'll have to stick with decent bottle shops. In Livonia, she can hit Wine Castle, Wine Palace, Meadows Fine Wine, and Beer Baron. Not sure where she can go in Plymouth, since they're a cultural wasteland devoid of good beer stores, to my knowledge.

3. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Aficionado (170) Michigan Mar 7, 2007

I've only been to Beer Baron of those mentioned above. But I would recommend them.

Great selection and they split everything into singles.

4. SeanS

Thanks. Is Hopslam or Black Note hard to find on shelves?

5. Hopslam is still available in most places. Black Note - most likely not in this area.

6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Whole Foods and Plum Market in Ann Arbor are both nice and Plum sometimes has cool glasses.

ETA: Part of the reason I am mentioning these two is because I am trying to think of places I would be most comfortable going myself in a strange area, being a woman. None of the mentioned places are bad or seedy, but Whole Foods and Plum are easy places she can grab dinner too.

7. Arcadia's Hop Rocket (Imperial IPA) is supposed to be released in bottles about now, but I don't know if it has hit store shelves yet. She might also get lucky and find single bottles of BBA Cereal Killer or BBA Imperial Stout. Both have red waxed caps and go for $7-$8 per 12 oz. bottle. (The BBA Imperial Stout is not the same as the red-waxed, 22 oz. 2009 Imperial Stout that is also on store shelves now, called "Special Edition." It is not BBA but it's a good beer too if she sees it.)

I don't know what you can get in NYC, but there is probably some of the entire line of stouts from Dark Horse still around, although Plead the Fifth may be in short supply. The Dark Horse Perkulator Dopplebock might also still be found.

New Holland's Pilgrims Dole (wheatwine) is out now, and the Dragon's Milk is a gem of a BBA beer at a reasonable price.

Kuhnhenn stuff is difficult to find outside of going to the brewery, so if she sees anything from them it is likely to be a good find and she should buy it.

SeanS likes this.
  8. SeanS

I wish i could like this more. This is exactly the input I need to relay to her. If she could find Cereal Killer or any of those others that would be awesome.

Any other beers for her to keep an eye for?

9. Andygirl

What kind of beer do you like?

10. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I was at Plum Market in AA last week and I think they still had some bottles of the BB Cereal Killer.

11. Greenbush Brewing is a relatively new brewery that is just getting started with bottles in distro here in Michigan, and the report is that everything from them is good. I've had a few of their beers on tap at the brewery 2-3 years ago and they were all great, but I don't recall which ones or whether anything in distro would be the same.

You didn't mention Short's Brewing in your original list, but they put out some crazy, yet fantastic beers. There are so many of their seasionals/specialties that are released that it's hard to keep track of what is on store shelves now. I have heard no recent reports of anything from them is not worth buying, so she could take a shot on whatever she finds from Short's. Goodnight Bodacious is one recent one that has very good comments in these Great Lakes forum threads, so she might see some of it still out there. Aorta Ale is another one, but I don't know anything about it.

You also didn't mention Brewery Vivant in your list. They are a Belgian-inspired brewery that puts their stuff out in 16 oz. cans. If you like Belgians that their stuff is something to be considered. I'm not very much into that style so I can't give you any recommendations from personal experience. I've had some of their beers, and they are good, and I'll says that the beers were Belgiany, but not heavy Belgian beers, if that makes any sense.

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  12. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I was in MI last weekend and was able to pick up two cases on Dark Horse Plead the 5th and two cases of Double Crooked Tree. Plenty on the shelves there. Just figured why wait to see if and how much is distributed in IL.

13. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

No reason to drive all the way to AA from Livonia..The Party stores mentioned are Nice and not in bad area's..Really makes no sense to go all the way to those places and have less of a selection...Imo

14. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

15. Andygirl

He said she would be near AA, and I did say specifically they weren't bad or seedy. I like Beer Baron, the guy is really helpful.

I have had very good luck at Plum and Whole Foods finding items that I couldn't find elsewhere or that was sold out elsewhere. Hopslam was sitting at Plum in cases, and Whole Foods was the only place I could find BB Cereal Killer this year.

tommyz likes this.
  16. tommyz

I totally missed the being near AA

17. Brass Mug in Livonia has a decent selection, too, though their prices leave a lot to be desired.

Also noticed no mention of Dragonmead, whose Final Absolution tripel can be found in four packs and is worth every penny. Crown Jewels IPA isn't too bad, either.

18. SeanS

I'm open to trying pretty much everything. I do like BB and also understand it is en vogue. I def would like to try as many as I can get my hands on. DIPAs are also a thing.

Also, I'm not expecting to send her to find a shelf whale but if she could grab some of the more in-demand/good beers in as little stops as possible, that would be great.

I'm still learning whats food from MI but I hear good things about Pt5,Hopslam,Black Note, Dragon's Milk. hopefully she can find a couple of these.

I'll do some research on those other breweries. And again, if i'm somehow missing something, please let me know.

Oh and if anyone wants access to east coast(ny) stuff, maybe we can work a trade for anything she can't grab when she is there! :)

19. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

arcadia cereal killer(regular) sits on shelfs. just got a bottle of 2009.....have her look.

20. tommyz

Shorts stuff is always available and always good...She should be able to find Huma readily available..She "should" be able to find hopslam..Also, Darkhorse Crooked Tree is something she should be able to pick up..Also, Brother Benjamin from Greenbush just hit shelves here and is real nice...

Also, if she goes to Beer Baron in Livonia, she can build her own six pack and you can try a bunch of Michigan beers..Darren is the guy there that can help her out..He is a good guy

SeanS likes this.