1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"A Tale of Two Toronados"

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by baycat, Mar 2, 2012.

1. I've never been to the SF location; but I absolutely love the SD Toronado. I haven't been when it was too busy, but it's a great place during the day. I don't mind the 1.25 hour trip and it's a nice meet up spot for my friends in the area. Nate is the best!

2. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

They update their list probably once a week, sometimes once every two weeks. Why can't they just install a tap cam.

3. That would be very helpful.

4. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Arnie, I guess you haven't been down in a while. Last few times I have been there my shoes were almost coming off from sticking to all that....umm urine. Hmmm it was the day after Younger had been on...

5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Since when do you wear shoes? Dirty hipster!

ahpark likes this.
  6. SF Toronado is a bastion of realness in a sea of fake, fabricated "upscale" beer bars.

Plus it smells like the perfect mixture of urine, puke and weed.

7. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

the day younger was tapped = worst day for the urinal to be broken. I felt bad for the guy in there trying to fix it. He was probably thinking "WTF, it is 11am on a Wednesday, what the hell are all these dudes with beards doing here"

alwaysanswerb and beerdweeb like this.
  8. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (300) California Nov 28, 2010

Based on this post alone, sounds like he made a good choice ignoring you in the first place.

9. MacNCheese

I was nothing but polite while there. His attitude rubbed off. Thanks for playing.

10. My Toronado SF story. Had a couple of beers at the bar, then asked the bartenderess her name. 'Why did you want to know?" she replied curtly. I told her it's better than 'hey, you' when I want to hail someone for a beer. She shrugged and walked away.

I inquired to her bartenderpartner whassup with the anonymity. He said when people get a staff member's name, it winds up attached to a complaint on Yelp.

Go figure.

11. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (300) California Nov 28, 2010

Just sayin, takes a certain kind of man to call someone out on their disabilities. Toronado SF is a no bullshit bar that serves some of the best beer in the world. Try not to get your feelings hurt.

Last time I was their the "gimp" gave me a free beer and an underberg shot. I asked him for directions to La Trappe and he told me to get the fuck out. I laughed and had another beer with him.

12. ...and that is The real Toronado in a nutshell. If you need some fake small talk from the bartenders to feel good about your experience then you're at the wrong bar.

afrokaze, beerdweeb and mjl21 like this.
  13. MacNCheese

It is a good bar and 60% of what they were serving was made in my town. I understand when you're slammed you want orders to fast and quick to get people the beer they want. If someone is waffling about or asking "I like coors, what do you have that's similar" Sure, pass on them and come back later when they've made up their minds.

My point was there were THREE people in the bar and asking him, nicely, for a beer was too much, then get another job. I called him a 'gimp' because if I said "The old fart behind the bar" no one would know who I was referring to. Watching that guy hobble around is painful enough, can't imagine what it feels like for him.

14. My experience at Toronado SF was.... bizarre.

Went up there a few months back and had a couple beers. Waited in "line" at the bar for about 20 minutes to order at 4:30 on a Thursday. When it was my turn to order, I was greeted by a bartender (dude) standing there glaring at me. "Pint of Pliny please" I say, and he huffs and stomps away. He returns with a mostly filled pint glass and loudly declares "FIVE!". I left 6 bucks and sat down at our table. He literally uttered 1 word for the entire process of serving me.

Maybe dude was having a bad day, maybe the surly bartender shtick thing is something they try to live up to. Either way, I've never encountered a more hostile vibe from a bartender. We left.

15. Dude, 'gimp' is just plain a derogatory term. No two ways about that.

It would have been far more PC to describe him as the red-ass baboon butt munch, even though people probably couldn't have figured out which red-ass baboon muncher you were talking about in that place.

16. i really don't get these complaints. you asked for a beer; he served it and took your money. glaring? huff? stomp? all that sounds like editorializing. i'd probably have seen it as a quick and attentive bartender.

both toronados are awesome, i wish people would stop complaining about stupid shit.

17. the problem with your story is that by immediately going to a derogatory word like " gimp, " you give readers the impression you were probably rude to him in the first place.

i don't doubt there are some shitty bartenders, but i'll say this: some of the people i see complain most about toronado are coincidentally some of the biggest assholes on this site (i don't mean you, mac). makes you wonder what is really at play.

18. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Yeah, not sure why people expect the bartender to chat you up, especially at a fairly busy establishment. It's a bar, not a dating service.

19. arguably, serving up liquid courage and social lubricant makes a bar a dating service...

afrokaze likes this.
  20. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I went to Toronado SF expecting really bad service and whatnot. Everything went better than expected and I was a happy drunk.

From my one experience, neither the staff was as rude as people around here say, nor were the restrooms as dirty.

21. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I got pretty put off when I asked for '09 Cable Car the first time I went in, was told they were out, then the next week someone posted on BA about how they say there all day drinking Cable Car '09 and '10. I feel like if something is on the menu, someone orders it, and you have it then you should give it to them. If they want to keep stuff socked away and only give it to regulars that fine, but they take it off the menu!

That said I really enjoyed myself at -tion night, so I think I fall mostly into the "Toronado's okay, but I get the complaints" category.

22. but your complaint is a measured, non-hysterical one. i'm referring to the people who seem to come in to shit on every toronado thread. in fact, i'm disappointed that a certain face hasn't made his appearance.

23. MacNCheese

We probably know each other, both living in San Diego area. That wasn't my first trip to Toro-North. I do like the no-nonsense attitude when it's busy, you get your beer faster. If a bartender wants to be a dick when the joint is nearly completely empty, then I'll review the bar based on that expierence. My choice of descriptor may ruffle a few feathers, but everyone knows exactly who I'm talking about. And I didn't mean it in a Pulp Fiction "Bring out the Gimp" reference either. So chill.

Will I go again? Hell yes!

24. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (295) California Jan 11, 2010

It is my impression that they stagger out limited bottles. They may put 5 of something out each Monday and repeat. Though it is probably much more random than that. I really like how they do it. It was always a nice surprise when I'd see Silva Stout in the cooler every once in a while last year. It was awesome to see the Cable Car Kriek in there last month on my friend's birthday.

Also, it is probably more about the right person working then the wrong person doing the ordering. If the manager is on they may be more willing to dip into the stash then a bartender who doesn't have the authority to sell anything that was stocked in to the cooler by a manager.

All just speculation though.

25. The last thing I want at a beer bar is to get "chatted up" by the bartender. Take my order, get my beer, move on. Just don't be a surly, rude, douchbag while you're at it.

Silently glaring at someone (#4, Levitation) isn't an acceptable substitute for asking someone what you can pour for them.

26. Went to dinner at Toronado SD last night. It was great. This place gets better every time I visit. The last 2 times I have been in Toronado SF there has been drunken idiots that ended up fighting people at their own table.

27. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (270) California Jun 9, 2010

I have some pretty shitty Toro SF experiences. The beer keeps me coming back though.

28. having been in numerous shared social situations where, afterward, someone turns to me and says, " can you BELIEVE what an asshole he was being??? " has really hit home how differently (and sometimes crazily) people interpret random things. what you might call glaring, i might consider great service. i've been served completely wordlessly by a bartender before: a nod to ask for my beer, holding up fingers to indicate the total. never once thought to take offense to it.

my skepticism comes from what i think is a stark truth: most people are happy, and the rest are complaining on the internet.

ahpark likes this.