1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

A Toast to the Beer Hunter, Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stugotzo, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I'll keep this very brief.

6 years ago today, Michael Jackson passed. I never heard of him until about 2 years ago, as I started my journey into exploring "better beer". Although, I never met him, nor heard of him until very recently, I, and many of us, owe a lot to this man. For, if it weren't for his love of beer, and humankind in general, it could be argued that the craft beer explosion may have never happened. Certainly, not to the extent that it has.

So, tonight, I toast to a great man... that I never met... but miss dearly.

To Michael!

L'Chaim!

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_(writer)
    http://www.beerhunter.com/about.html
  2. Great post.

I had no idea it was today- I probably would have planned my evening around some sort of tribute.

Those who haven't should definitely read some of his books. There will never be another like him.

I think I will toast him tonight with a Pilsner Urquell, even though it is not the same beer that he gave 4 Stars. He did appreciate great beer in all of its forms, not just the 'boutique' stuff. RIP, MJ. Your legacy not only endures; it grows stronger each passing year.
    JohnnyMc, gjoker321, kaseydad and 9 others like this.
  3. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

To thriller!

Wait, wrong Michael....

Cheers to Mr. Jackson. I will drunkenly buy one of your books on amazon tonight to celebrate your amazing life. You were the king of beer, and forged the way for many before you.

Thanks for taking the road less traveled.
    JohnnyMc, gjoker321, Morockm and 5 others like this.
  4. DantheRN

DantheRN Aficionado (130) New York Aug 31, 2013

So it's my first night on BA (as a member) and after reading my fair share of MJs work over the past few years, I'd LOVE to join you while sipping my DFH Palo Santo Marron in saying cheers to a very special man. CHEERS.
  5. I actually shared a tasting with the man in person and am so glad I was able to !!
    I raise my glass tonite in his honor ......
  6. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

RIP and thank you, Mr. Jackson!
    Stugotzo likes this.
  7. RIP. Michael Jackson is a true pioneer!!!
    Stugotzo likes this.
  8. Cheers to Michael Jackson

can't tell you how many times I've watched The Beer Hunter. always enjoyable
    Stugotzo likes this.
  9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I'll toast to MJ.

I loved chatting with him at the GABF's when he attended in the late 90's to early 00's range (forgot which years now, sorry). Even more cool was that it was often a short line too to have him sign your book if you wanted. Man those were the days.
  10. I had the pleasure of working with Michael Jackson on a few occasions. He was wonderful, warm, funny, and extremely generous. I hope he is somewhere smiling, perhaps wryly, at what he has laid the groundwork for. Cheers.
  11. Stugotzo

Perhaps I'm a day late and a dollar short on this posting. But, I was keeping my eye open on a list of Michael Jackson's favorite columns, compiled by "All About Beer" Magazine. They were slowly releasing the top ten list, and for weeks, it was locked at only 6 listed. I even checked yesterday and it was still only 6. Maybe someone nudged them late last night or this morning, but they finally have linked all 10, including Michael's final column, which was published posthumously.

Without further adieu, here is Michael Jackson's last column...

"Did I Cheat Mort Subite?", by Michael Jackson, published November 2007
  12. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

JohnnyMc, Geuzedad and Stugotzo like this.
  13. landrewg

landrewg Aficionado (210) Michigan Nov 11, 2008

Awesome guy. I remember he was always talking about beers that were "cellared". I wrote him an email asking where to get these aged beers and he answered "start your own cellar" so that's what I did.
    That has cost me a lot of money but has been a lot of fun. Cheers to him!
  14. Are we all forgetting about his TV show??? The best 6 episodes ever to air on TV???

I missed his death day, but cheers to a great man!
    russpowell, gjoker321 and Stugotzo like this.
  15. Stugotzo

I have them in digital format. Great shows.

Seek out the documentary about his life as well - Beer Hunter, the Movie.
  16. Haven't seen it, thanks for the recomendation.
  17. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Savant (315) Washington Oct 31, 2012

This.

What YouTube was made for.
  18. That's where I watched them.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  19. Cheers to the man! I have "The New World Guide to Beer" and it is a fantastic book. Lots of great retro pics inside. Every time I open it up I find a new beer to try.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  20. BILF

BILF Savant (465) Israel Jan 9, 2010

"You can't go to the beer festival everyday....but you can go to the pub." says Michael Jackson in an eloquent voice looking resplendent his grey blazer.

Long live the legend and cheers to beer culture.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  21. Stugotzo

22. Ah, a good bloke. And a Yorkshireman!
    russpowell, gjoker321 and Stugotzo like this.
  23. I remember watching the Beer Hunter TV show back when my passion for craft beer was taking its first steps. So Michael Jackson is almost like a godfather of craft beer to me.

To Michael!
    JohnnyMc, gjoker321 and Stugotzo like this.
  24. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

I met Michael at the 1993 National Homebrewers Conference in Portland. He signed my copy of the Great Beers of Belgium. At the end of the week I was standing in line next to him during the Oregon Brewers Festival. He asked me what I thought of the beer. Next year, when his pocket guide to beer came out, what I said was pretty much what he wrote. I was thrilled and honored.
  25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

RIP...Cheers to the Beer Whisperer. A few more tnight, on the last Saturday of summer, and I'll be doin the moonwalk blasting EVH's solo from Beat It;)
    gjoker321 and Stugotzo like this.
  26. Ha! I was there in '93 as well. MJ was attending with Bert Grant; I was pretty much star-struck with the whole experience. They were incredibly approachable, and it was obvious how much they both appreciated what was going on.

What beer did you talk about? From what I remember, a lot of scuttlebutt was centered around Rogue's Imperial Stout, made especially for the fest.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  27. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

In the days before the internet, Michael Jackson was our beer guide, and teacher.

It's a good night to finally pop open that bottle of Duchesse.
  28. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Great topic! Glad to see some positive energy here. (Is it just me or are there too many negative threads?) I never got to meet the man either, but I can more than appreciate the groundwork he laid and how passionate he was for the craft of beer. I loved the TV show he had and I'm excited to see the movie at some point too.

Thank you Michael Jackson for being awesome! I think he lived his life without regret. :) I raise my glass of Stone Espresso IRS to toast you tonight and join my fellow beer brethren in celebrating your life!
    joaopmgoncalves and Stugotzo like this.
  29. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to read any of his books. What would be a good one to start with?
  30. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

IIRC, it was Bridgeport's Pintail. That was their festival beer.
  31. Aah. I really liked that one, too. That was back when Dick Ponzi still owned BridgePort*, and was a recent addition to their lineup. It was pale, fragrant with floral/fruity hops, and bitter, but also had a good dose of residual sweetness. I swear, when I returned in 1996 and the place was under new ownership, that beer was just not the same.

Anyway- that's pretty cool that you and he had a meeting of the minds on that beer. He also had a way of describing beers in a very succinct, yet incredibly accurate way in those guides- almost poetic, in a sense.

*- full disclosure- one of my friends worked there at the time, and I really liked the vibe of the original joint.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  32. Well as you can tell by my avatar I am a mj fan. I donated to kickstarter for the documentary although have yet to watch much. I do understand his profound influence on the craft beer community, so I can't wait to watch it in full. I am in northern NH tonight and was happy to find a Hennepin at Shaws, a shitty supermarket that finally devoted a shelf to decent beer, no doubt due to some indebtedness to him. Cheers Michael! Would love to enjoy a beer with you someday, wherever it may be.
    russpowell, Stugotzo and TongoRad like this.
  33. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (500) California Nov 10, 2007

I just came across my old "Pocket Guide To Beer" (1988) a little while ago while moving some books. I'll have to flip through it and see if I'm doing it right.
    [​IMG]
    joaopmgoncalves and Stugotzo like this.
  34. I met him in `96 briefly at the GABF. Very approachable...nice man. It was towards the end...just as fucked up as the next goer (except he probably got a 5 hour head start!)!
    yemenmocha and Stugotzo like this.
  35. A Belgian brewer once described him to me as "very interesting, until about 10 am." But even in his cups, forever genial. My great disappointment is just missing out on meeting him, twice: once cruelly forced to wait at a bar in vain hopes of a no-show for a sold-out lecture, and another time I got a signing just after he'd sold out of his stack of books and left. That was in DC in the late '90s and it says a lot that he was a tough ticket at a time when microbrews were gaining mind share but not yet much market share.

His writings are still treasures for their evocative descriptions, wry humor and love rather than snobbism.The column that someone kindly linked, http://allaboutbeer.com/live-beer/appreciation/2013/08/farewell-father-…-it’s-beer-war/, says a lot: he'd be happy to reel off a list of favorites, but chafed at the idea of rankings, and refused to fall out with a beloved brewery even when he mildly taking issue with slipping standards.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  36. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (500) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Somewhere out there there is a photo of me taken with him at a Beers International dinner. Wish I had it. He was great at those dinners.
    Stugotzo likes this.