1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

A trading etiquette question....

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by evilcatfish, Jan 8, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

This has surely been brought up before, but what does everybody consider reasonable when it comes to response time to your trading conversations? I'm still fairly new to non IP/local trades and want some opinions.

Here are a couple situations that have happened to me recently:

1. I think I have a trade all wrapped up with person A then they just go silent, no response to messages. Person B comes along seeing my ISO:FT post and is interested in what person A wanted, I let person B know person A has priority and he understands. After 4 days of no response from person A I seal a deal with person B and we both are happy. Well, a couple days later person A finally gets back to me and upon finding out I traded what he had wanted gets all snippy acting like we already had a deal in place and I screwed him. Wasn't 4 days without an answer enough to wait since I wasn't aware of anything that may have held him up? (funeral, sickness, etc)

2. People just not getting back in general. I'll think I have a trade in place, or somebody asks me to let them know when I get something they are after and I just never hear from them again though they are active in the forums. Whenever I decide I'm not interested in a trade or something changed then I at least let the person know.

I will say though that for the most part everybody has been very cool and generous with extras!
  2. tewaris

tewaris Member

If you're not comfortable with someone's communication, avoid trading with them. Simple as that. Also, if they are active and not responding for 4 (or more) days, fuck it. Trade with Person B.
    cfh64, tut2528, FTowne and 16 others like this.
  3. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Member

Yup his loss not yours, I would have done the same thing
    dman5400 and cfrances33 like this.
  4. maximum12

maximum12 Member

1. What the wise & urbane tewaris said.
    2. Always an annoyance, problem is, half the people are annoyed by people not getting back to them & the other half are those people & think it's no big deal. I'm with you, I think it's rude not to spend 4 seconds saying "No thanks" but others will plead that they are so, so, so, SO busy that they can't do something that time-consuming (while arguing endlessly about 2012 vs. 2013 HopSlam).
  5. LambicKing

LambicKing Member

IMO, you can never overcommunicate. I'd rather border on the side of blasting my trading partners with info vice leaving anything to question or uneasy feelings. Conversely, if I don't receive adequate communication, I'd send a "hey, I'm gonna go elsewhere if I don't hear from you by X date", then do just that if I hear crickets.
    loony4lambic, dman5400 and jp7161 like this.
  6. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Member

He went dark so that is not your fault. I would have done the same. Once you have a trade agreement, you've got to stay in communication. He could have told you he would be unreachable for a few days. If his logging in to BA is infrequent he could inform you of that up front also. As long as he has solid references that wouldn't be a deal breaker.
  7. vurt

vurt Member

If you're getting other offers while waiting to hear from Person A, it couldn't hurt to send a them a quick note: "I'm getting other offers. If I don't hear from you in (x) days, I'm going to end our trade and go with someone else." That shows good proactive communication on your part, and only takes a minute.
    cfh64, JRSD and cavedave like this.
  8. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

Re #1: You did nothing wrong. 4 days is plenty o' time if you're negotiating a trade.
    cfrances33 likes this.
  9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

in my mind, a trade is not finalized until a summary message (you're sending x, i'm sending y) and addresses are exchanged (replace with meeting time/place for ip). imo, backing out at any time before a trade is finalized according to these definitions (and even after in some cases) is 100% fine and it happens.
  10. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Member

I've been dealing with a bit of this myself. Person says he has a bottle, asks if I want to set up a trade. I say I'm interested, and they don't reply, but see them shopping the bottle in the trade forum. It's frustrating, but what can you do. I always try to respond to all messages within a reasonable time frame. It would be cool if everyone did, and I understand sometimes life gets in the way, but there are other times that just make you go "hmmmm"
  11. cavedave

cavedave Member

+1
  12. evilc

evilc Member

Holidays just passed too - I went pretty dark all the up to this week.
  13. xnicknj

xnicknj Member

the main problem with #2 is when someone posts a particularly attractive or sought after FT thread. something like FT: Hill Farmstead ::insertalmostanythinghere:: usually result in an inbox explosion and it can be a little time consuming to send 30+ msgs saying "sorry, this is done." if i dont receive a response within a reasonable amount of time and the user is active, i assume they arent interested and move on.
  14. Davihaw

Davihaw Member

I have another etiquette question as well:

What is the etiquette on cancelling a pending trade? Scenario: Trade has been agreed upon by both parties for IP trade a few weeks down the road. Party A obtains a large quantity of the beer they were supposed to receive in the trade directly from the brewery ahead of trade. Is it ok for that person to then email party B and cancel the trade?

I didn't have a problem with it but could see how this could be an issue. Curious what others thought.
  15. wingedeel

wingedeel Member

That would be a penis relocation, AKA a DICK MOVE
  16. nc41

nc41 Member

Well if he already spent his money on the beer to be shipping he's screwed. I'd complete the trade it's the right thing to do.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

In this day and age of constantly being connected I can't understand how someone can go days without communicating when you are in the midst of negotiating a trade....

That said I am a pretty patient person so I'd give someone two days tops before I moved on to the next offer.
  18. luisc123

luisc123 Member

This has happened with my last three or four trades. I had whole set of IPA's (Alpine, RR, KRBC) that I was set to trade and I ended up just drinking them because a potential trading partner didn't get back to me. If he tries to get back to me now, welp sorry bout it. I was supposed to have a second half of one trade sent to me and that person stopped responding as well so I drank the beers I was supposed to trade to him. Kind of annoying. A simple "No thanks, I don't wanna trade anymore" would suffice instead of going completely silent.
  19. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Member

Just a side note for IP trades. Often one of the traders will be traveling and will have packed beers for an agreed upon trade. Once the beers have journeyed the traveling trader is very much committed and the local trader should not try to change things.
    Docrock, richardflyr and tinypyramids like this.