1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abacus, Not Sucaba

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HuskyinPDX, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I know there are conflicting opinons on this one, but anybody try the orginal release recently?

Thanks!
  2. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yes. It was better fresh IMO but still tasty. Not boozy at all.
  3. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Had one last week next to a 2013 arctic devil. It was definitely better fresh like most of FWs barrel aged beers in my opinion. It still had a little bit of heat, not harsh though, with a tiny bit of oxidation creeping through. Overall pretty smooth and enjoyable. That said, i much preferred the fresh arctic devil in comparison.
  4. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Good timing. I just had my last one Saturday and I thought it was great. Definitely a little smoother than fresh with a little less of the barrel character, which IMO is a good thing. The bourbon and coconut/vanilla was still there, just subdued from where it is fresh.
    claspada likes this.
  5. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I had one a couple of months ago. It's difficult to compare a beer you're currently drinking to a distant memory, but I did think the aged one was better. The fresh one was a bit boozy while the aged one was much smoother and well balanced while still retaining a strong barrel/bourbon flavor.
  6. Had a 2011 yesterday, it was ok but no where as good as fresh. I would not age any longer
  7. Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will opening these soon.
  8. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Definitely open soon. Most FW beers all age pretty poorly because the barrel character when fresh disappears. Fresh Abacus/Sucaba are one of my favorite EBW's of all time. With even a year on them they become less than stellar IMHO.
  9. Totally agree with you, had Abacus 3 month ago and I was disappointing. The barrel character had vanish to leave a too sweet boosy beer. Fresh is way better!
  10. Interesting, I have one bottle left of 2011 Abacus. I guess I'll be drinking it up!
  11. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

while the Abacus (2011) may not be as great now compared to fresh, it's still one of the better ba barleywines
  12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

What was Abacus expecting from you? ;)
    BostonHops and unibroue4ever like this.
  13. *it!
  14. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Just realized I still have an Abacus in the cellar. If I can track down a bottle of the current release, I'll do a side-by-side and report back