1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abrasive Availability

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Wisconsin, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

I haven't crossed over into MN in awhile and know that Abrasive is going out of season soon. Is this still available on the shelves or it is long gone?
    Chaz likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

How many cases of un-fresh Abrasive do you need? ;)
  3. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (265) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

It's been at most places that I've been to. Lunds downtown had 3 cases sitting in the walk in. It's still delicious.
  4. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Which Lunds and what town? I might have a reason to come into the cities tonight so it would be good to grab these. I'm going to be near Cedar Ave in the downtown area tonight if there is a place closer.
  5. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

You shouldn't have an issue finding it at any place with a halfway decent selection.
  6. Zipps on 26th and E Franklin would be my recommendation.
  7. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (265) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Minneapolis Downtown. THough as noted, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.
  8. Chicago Lake has it.
  9. most bottle stores still have it i just had a 01/29 it was still very very good
  10. I'll just decipher "un-fresh" as "still kicks ass!".
    That is what you meant, right?:)
  11. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

What was the last canning date?
  12. nograz

nograz Aficionado (135) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

I thought Todd had a post specifically about it, but I can't find it. For some reason 2/24 keeps popping in my head.

I did find on Feb 2nd him saying it was last run next week and on Feb 20th him responding to someone saying it was done.

Edit: Looks like the 24th was the release date of Blakkr.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Even though it's not fresh I have been buying a 4/pack or two every week. While it might be slightly better when it is just canned, Abrasive seems to be one of those beers that still tastes great even a couple months after canning -- at least from my experience. I hope people stop buying the older stuff so there is still more for me. :)
    ZAP likes this.
  14. I have to believe that now that Surly is using a distributor, the distribution of their beer takes longer due to the middle man and hence we don't see canning dates that are as fresh.
  15. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

I had a 1/29 can last night. Probably the first Abrasive I've had since mid February and it was amazing. I may actually prefer it with a bit of age on it. Seemed a bit sweeter and more drinkable, though it may of been because it was my first Abrasive in awhile and I forgot how good it was ;)
    McRyan likes this.
  16. I've been drinking a couple 4/packs a week of the 1/29 for what seems like a while. It tastes good as hell. The only problem is that it's hard to trade for other fresh stuff like Heady with that date. I guess I don't care though as I love the stuff. It's pretty easy to trade for Heady. People seem to give their first born. I just don't understand that.

Heading to the fridge to get another. We are lucky.

I think REALLY fresh Abrasive and this years Size 11 were the two best IIPAs I drank in the last half year although Heady (through trade) and Zombie (at Huna) are both amazing. I really think I liked Size 11 the best this year though.
  17. It would be nice if we got fresh Surly like we used to when they distributed themselves. Is this a distributor problem?
  18. Why would the distrubutor be a problem? The beer on the shelf in stores right now would be the same if Omar had wheeled them in himself.
  19. Why don't people understand simple logistics? When there is a middle man it takes more time to get things to the shelves. It also puts the distributors in the middle to figure out who gets more or less beer and don't think they don't dally the freshest beers to their best money making stores. I know this because I have been in the beer scene for a while and have heard owners talk about it. When Surly distributed their own beer it was REALLY fresh when it hit the shelves. Now not so much. I just don't understand what there is to misunderstand. This is business and when there is a middleman there is a price increase as well as time to get things to the shelves. The distributors could care less if you get beer as fresh as it could be as they want to sell more Budweiser and other brands where they make more money from because the profit margin is higher. I really don't understand why people don't have the time to think about how and why things are the way they are. And then those people start talking and acting like they know what is going on. I hope you think about things in a more intellectual way cause this isn't working for you today. I'm sure you're as great person but please think about things before you think you know how things work. It just makes things worse for all of us when people do that.
  20. This goes further when a distributor rep that a store has been working for years with ends up getting promoted and then they end up giving a store some person who really has no idea about good beer and doesn't fight for the beer for the stores that they are in charge of. When long term relationships are broken and then some stooge jumps in things get bad. They don't give the stooges to the big stores they let them train with the smaller stores that get screwed over again and again. Man there are so many ways small businesses get screwed over in this industry it's amazing. The big stores get what they want when they want because they sell huge quantity just like walmart. Welcome to the walmart of beer stores because that is going to be what we are going to be dealing with in the future. I hope you are happy with that because that is what is being supported by not helping out the mom and pop shops that know who you are, know what you want, and try to deliver but can't because walmart took over.
  21. Do the "you"s at the end of this well meaning, misguided, nonsensical rant refer to me, specifically?
  22. Well if you don't understand why distributors have power and can make shit happen for some and not for other's as well as get the beer slower to market than I guess yes. Otherwise no. Nothing personal but I just see some of all our favorite stores going out of business due to some things. I guess I am reflecting my thoughts from one thread to another. Nothing personal. I just get on a thought and can't stop. Sorry I can get on a rant when I think about some of my friends who own stores. I guess I get defensive.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  23. Long story short, the most recent confirmed canning date on this page of the thread is 01/29. That would be the case whoever had delivered it.
    Chaz likes this.
  24. Well I think that's what I am drinking tonight but I think it would have got to us sooner if Surly self distributed. I also think that Surly had relationships with stores before that are overlooked by the distributors. That is my main point. People who supported Surly since their inception are taking it in the ass because distributors have other motivations and have no idea what were the relationships in the past. That's all I mean...
  25. Chaz

Dude! Go ahead and let him rant -- he's the most entertaining new poster this week! <-- :)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  26. Chaz

Hah! Well, that depends: I've read threads on this site and elsewhere where a poster claims that a strong, hop-driven beer of Abrasive's style is a drain-pour only a month after its packaging date (when such a date is even discernable), and it's difficult to know whether that poster is using old-fashioned sarcasm, new and improved Internet Beer Forum Sarcasm (TM), or is just plain off of their danged-rocker.

To the OP, I apologize for my unhelpful smartassery earlier, and offer you this thread from not too many months weeks ago, and this thread from just over a month ago*. I'm guessing that supplies of reasonably fresh 1/29 Abrasive will be at local shops at least another week. ;)

But -and this is just my particular man on the street point-of-view (hey! the cheap coffee's kicked-in and I'm feeling conversational)...

I swear that I've seen the same coldbox facings at my local haunts all winter. I hit these places twice a week for my industrial swill fix, and it surprises me that Surly labels -especially Abrasive- are not flying out the frikkin' door. I mean sure, they might sit at some hole in the wall where only Swill-guzzlers and pork rind aficionados like myself are regular creepers -- but these places were amongst the first in St. Paul to get Surly; Don't tell me that my fellow Ramsey County-livin', Craft Beer-lovin' freaks are losing their taste for it already! :eek:

*When users post a general query to the forum rather than use the forum search function, wonderful threads like this one develop, and I for one welcome our new n00b overlords. :D
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  27. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Don't forget that it is all Obama's fault too, F*** that guy, am I right?
  28. I saw that Ace Spirits in Hopkins has Abrasive listed on their web page as on sale for $13. Furious for $8.
    Chaz likes this.
  29. If you would like me to say yes to make you feel better then,"yes." Otherwise, "yes" it's Obama's fault.
  30. billhelm

billhelm Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Didn't actually see any Abrasive in the cooler when I went in there yesterday. They have an impressive inventory of other beer though. Definitely a place I'll stop by from time to time.