Abrasive is close!

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnbuffalo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (215) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

I was in the taproom tonight and was told that Abrasive might start going out to distro as soon as next week or two weeks from now. My wife might make go to the plasma center after my Darkness spending, but I'm excited!

McRyan, josephwa, Ungertaker and 2 others like this.
  2. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I feel like last year it was Thanksgiving weekend that it came out. I remember this very specifically because on Thanksgiving day my parents dog knocked over my first glass after one sip and most of my family could not understand why I was so upset.
    Can't wait, this and Celebration just freaking make the holiday season.

3. Bring it on...

4. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (365) New York Mar 7, 2011

cant wait! i order a case or two each year online. my favorite beer of the winter season...

(unabashed hop head here)

5. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (430) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

I believe it came out the week of thanksgiving. I brought some of that fresh goodness to a few relatives, blew their minds. Do you think a Kickstart for my Abrasive addiction would take off?

6. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

first canning was 11/15 last year I believe

7. I was told by the distributor that it would be hitting the streets next week. As always, the 1st few weeks is limited and after that should be easier for stores to keep in stock.

8. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Crap, my piggy bank is behind right now.

9. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

10. EJJ1848

ISO: Abrassive Ft: Organs/Appendages

11. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I think abrasive is at the top of my 'lucky to have it' list. Its seriously freaking awesome. The old stuff that Merwin had 2 months ago was still great (2/15 canning), but I cant wait for some fresh stuff. Its one of the $17/4 packs that I dont think twice about buying. Its my hop fix Ive been yearning for. After trying a lot of the hyped west coast IPAs that recently hit the market (sculpin, other ballast point ipas, green flash, and a couple others) I have to say Ill take abrasive over them anytime. Too bad its not a year round brew (although the season is long enough to make me happy).

Luckily its plentiful, so you shouldnt have to sell any organs. maybe a pinky toe though.

BrettHead likes this.
  12. EJJ1848

Oh, Im aware. I was the guy shottgunning abrasive at a Tailgate party. Worst Best Idea ever
    My beer piggy bank is a little light and I feel Ive got some quality money hidden in these body parts.

13. Just had my first couple cans of Heady Topper within the past couple weeks and I really think Abrasive tops it... Can't wait to get some!

arniepnminne and BrettHead like this.
  14. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Absolutely Abrasive > Heady

apaisncsu and arniepnminne like this.
  15. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I hope you guys are right. Surly's website (under seasonal beers) states the normal availability of Abrasive is "Late December-March".

16. EJJ1848

Last year was definitely before thanksgiving

17. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know how much or how long they'll be making it this year? I believe it was brewed from November - March last year.

18. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

This needs to be a year round beer once the new brewery is up and running.

19. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (535) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

I'll take your liver ;)

jimmah120, nickapalooza86 and MCImes like this.
  20. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Uh oh, time to bitch about Surly not keeping the website up to date.
    This is why you should always call the brewery before assuming when a beer will be released.

minnesotaryan likes this.
  21. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (535) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Wait, this comes right before bitching about how last year's was better right? I have to get my bitching order straight...

nogophers likes this.
  22. Douggo

Um, I think you're right. Before bitching about how last year's was better, but AFTER joking that the hops have already faded.

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  23. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

what kind of hops are being used? is it always the same?

24. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Somewhere in there need to be the obligatory, "when it's ready."

minnesotaryan likes this.
  25. Douggo

Agreed. Before or after "the hops have faded"?

26. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

It is usually prompted by either an "out of towner" asking if they'll be able to find it on their late August trip to the BWCA. Or someone lamenting having finished their last four pack from the previous year, rhetorically asking when the next batch is being released.

27. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

in september i was staying in the hospital after our kid was born, and i told my mom to bring me a beer. somehow she grabbed the year-old abrasive from the back corner of the fridge. it could've been the complete lack of sleep, but it was still pretty damn drinkable. i have one more in there that will need to be a part of a side-by-side.

28. leonardwl

leonardwl Disciple (65) Minnesota Apr 22, 2011

My understanding is that it's always Warrior and Citra. I think Citra would be essential for that citrus/grapefruit kick it has.

29. [​IMG]

CypherEnigma likes this.
  30. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (990) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I can't wait for when I head over to Minneapolis to do Thanksgiving with my wife's family.

31. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Don't think I've ever has fresh Abrasive on tap. Can't wait for the taproom to put it out.

human24 and MNBeerGeek like this.
  32. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Sweeney's in St. Paul just tweeted that it will host the release on Tuesday. No specific details yet.

33. archi348

archi348 Savant (255) Minnesota Nov 7, 2012

Todd also just tweeted that it is releasing next week. Best news i have heard all day!

34. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

As per Todd on twitter, "Liquor stores starting today, draft starting later this week."

nogophers, BrettHead and lonewolfcry like this.
  35. djschnabel

djschnabel Savant (255) Minnesota Jan 30, 2010

Has anybody seen this yet? I'm surprised that I haven't heard any news of this dropping on FB; Twitter; or here.

I stopped in a N. Metro Craft Beer Liquor store near showplace theatres in Coon RAPIDS and it sounds like they might have it tomorrow, along w/ more Harvest Ale.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  36. EJJ1848

Unlike Darkness, Abrasive is being distributed on the regular weekly deliveries

37. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I doubt a whole lot of stores get Monday deliveries, so I bet we'll start seeing it tomorrow.

38. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

Abrasive was one of my favorite new beer (for me) of 2013. Crazy good. I can't wait to get some again.

39. printer1

printer1 Savant (265) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

My daughter will be staying in Downtown Minneapolis tomorrow night, Edina the next night. Anyone willing to tell me her best chances to find Abrasive near either of these locations? Fresn Abrasive is still the best damn beer I've ever had.

40. Downtown - Zips - daytime hours would be best, in this neighborhood.
    Edina - France 44 is always a good bet

As always - I would suggest she call ahead....unless she's afraid to pick up a phone (seems like a growing trend around these parts):rolleyes:.

Good Luck!