1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abrasive is close!

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnbuffalo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Yep, I had the same problem. Traded for some Heady and it was clearly not fresh. It sucked because I had gone out of my way to hook the guy up with super fresh Abrasive.

2. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

This years batch is world class. I don't even want to drink multiple in one night. Hard to appreciate the taste after one.

djschnabel and Bond111 like this.
  3. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I agree on the point of it being top notch this year, but multiples in one session is fine by me, as long as I'm not driving. Has enough going on where the second is still enjoyable. Maybe its easier with it being fairly readily available too. Regardless, just my opinion, as everyone is different. Still a world class beer.

The statement about Heady makes me sad. I'd love to try it, but unless the person knows how fresh it is on the other end, simply no point in trading for it.

McRyan likes this.
  4. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Any suggestions on where to pick some up in Eagan?

5. McRyan

Big Discount Liquors
    3900 Beau D Rue Dr
    Eagan
    (651) 454-7282

SaulTBauls likes this.
  6. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (410) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

Anyone seen any fresh in the North metro? My local store has been out for weeks and I thought this was going to be delivered weekly

7. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (200) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Maple Grove and Plymouth seem to be out, everyone I talked to expect a shipment this week though.

8. Msudukie

Msudukie Savant (345) New York Oct 26, 2013

Just a thought. Limits on Heady have gone way down so most can only get a case on any trip up to the area. Maybe that will help with less hoarding and less dated Heady. Any thoughts on how to help alleviate concerns on freshness? Asking as someone who will be making trip up to VT early next year and thinking about an Abrasive trade.

9. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

Seems to be out most places currently, no?

10. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Is it just me or have all the 'limited' beer releases sucked this year? (BCBS, KBS, Wet, Darkness were all like trying to catch smoke in the wind). Even abrasive is harder to find than usual. Normally after the first couple weeks it just sits on the shelf commonly...not so much this year. Its around, but not as widespread as in years past...

A growing craft beer community is good and all, but its become a real PITA to find some of the 'old standards'. Too much growth too fast I guess.

*zombie voice* more beer...moooore beeeeerrrrrrrr.....

11. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I guess for once being in Rochester is a good thing. I've been able to have Abrasive every weekend, no problems finding it down here. Same with Darkness, sat around for at least a couple of weeks.

12. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, d@mnit the last batch I've been able to snag was canned 11/5. A lot of my shops haven't gotten it in for weeks.

13. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Agreed. I've had to do way more running around this year for Abrasive. Partly because of a growing craft beer community, but also because of "that dick" who goes into every store at 9:00 am and buys a case.

14. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Are they producing less Abrasive this year (like some of their other seasonals recently) to keep up with year round offerings in order to supply places like Chicago/more MN markets?

SipIt likes this.
  15. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

like this guy?

Revenant likes this.
  16. McRyan

nail head

SipIt likes this.
  17. SipIt

Couldn't agree more. The good bottle shop I go to all the time was convinced they were going to see shipments every week. Hmmmm, that for d@mn sure hasn't happened.

However, a million cases of Furious, Bender, Coffee Bender, Overrated, and Hell certainly make their way to Chicago. I don't understand why they couldn't wait until the new brewery opened for them to do this. Not going to lie, I feel a bit cheated as a long time supporter of Surly.

18. doner24

Fresh Abrasive at Princetons, 11/27 date.

19. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

Any other sightings of 11/27 batch?

20. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

I haven't seen the latest canning. The pack I picked up yesterday was canned 11/15. This place seems to be keeping all their Abrasive in the back so you have to ask for it. Pretty odd for this beer but at least I know where to go to find it. Would like to get my hands on the fresh batch. I'm scared to go into a liquor store though. My wallet has taken quite a beating as when I go in to check if a store had/has the rarities lately I always buy something from them so I'm not one of those who go in and out. People like that don't deserve the rare beers from stores they don't bother buying anything else from.

Surly sure is good at marketing but they sure threw us under the bus with Wet and Abrasive (thus far) this year.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  21. What do you mean threw us under the bus with abrasive? There's plenty of stock out there. Wet is another story though. I was lucky enough to split a 4 pack with a buddy.

22. NeedBeerHere

While we can find Abrasive, the retailers aren't getting shipments like they normally do. Not rocket science.

23. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Maybe not rocket science, but given it's not all that hard to find abrasive this year I'm not sure I'd classify that at being chucked under a bus. cheers!

edit: more seems to be hitting stores in the last few days again. Go get some!

joh02034 likes this.
  24. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

MGM in Eagan got some today.

25. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

F44 got 5 cases today 1 already gone 2 4 pk limit

26. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 14, 2012

A couple of stores I frequent told me they have had Abrasive constantly since first release, but it was in the back and you had to ask for it.

27. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Big thanks on this...was able to pick up the newest batch!

McRyan likes this.
  28. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Not rocket science and also not being thrown under a bus.

29. NeedBeerHere

Well I get what you're saying and it's not like I can't find it if I hit a few stores but it's usually not as fresh, etc. And honestly those really weren't my words. Those were the words of a couple liquor store owners that have been supporting Surly since they first started. They look forward to releases like Abrasive because it draws customers into their shops. In the end the retailers are loosing out here too. And another thought about not being able to find it as fresh as consistently as in the past. Trade partners want FRESH Abrasive. It's not as easy to find FRESH since it doesn't hit the store fresh as often.

30. SipIt

Pfft, finding fresh anything from Surly seems to be difficult lately. An out of town friend wanted some Abrasive and Overrated. Still can't find fresh Abrasive and the Overrated at my good/trustworthy local shop was canned like 10/12.

31. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Chicago

32. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Right....because 3 week old abrasive is sooo faded compared to "fresh"

33. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

i am currently drinking a 2011 abrasive and not hating it.

34. MRC711

MRC711 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Oct 22, 2007

I drink Abrasive in line as I'm checking out. In the car on the way home is still ok. Once I get home it's too late. Toss it.

runfoodrun, McRyan, Ish1 and 2 others like this.
  35. SipIt

I'd gladly drink 3 week old abrasive. Has anyone seen some on the west side of mpls?

36. Jennings Liquor in SLP had canning date 11/15 yesterday.

SipIt likes this.
  37. SipIt

Thanks man, I'll have to start checking there!

38. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

any other 11/27 sightings? looking to pick up a 4 pack to send out in a trade.

39. doner24

Still at Princetons

mnphish likes this.
  40. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

OK- the freshness thing is getting me, I have had 8 month old Abrasive that still holds up quite well, can really not really say it has lost that much, maybe dreaming! Sucks on the other hand- the fall-off is much more noticeable. What might be the difference here?