1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abrasive is close!

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnbuffalo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

I absolutely agree with you, however it is a different story when trading with people. I always try to get them some fresh stuff, it is easier to get a trade done that way as regardless what you say some people are stuck on the stigma that a month old DIPA cannot be nearly as good as fresh.
  2. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

2-day old Abrasive just landed at South Lyndale... if you're into that sort of thing.
  3. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

2 very long days old... drain pour.

That's how ridiculous some people are anymore.
  4. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

If I don't drink it from the brite tank, I don't drink it.
  5. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Zealot (95) Minnesota Jan 9, 2011

abrasive 11/27 at surdyk's, zipp's, elevated
    dont worry i only picked up a 4-pack
    plenty left to enjoy this weekend
  6. 12/10 Abrasive at Marshall Liquors. $14.99. I bought two 4 packs because I just couldn't resist.
  7. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Yep, it's out there. 11/27 or 12/10 - pretty much everywhere. I don't get the people that are pissing their pants because they can't find it.
    Ish1, lonewolfcry and joh02034 like this.
  8. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

I'll have to find some 12/10 tomorrow -- not that 11/27 wouldn't go down my throat just as nicely tomorrow. Have to pick up a couple four packs. To be clear, I don't think Abrasive is hard to find. It's just not ALWAYS on the shelf everywhere like it was last year. I'm sure my local must have got some more in by now. They have been out for two weeks.
  9. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

If you live in Rochester it's ALWAYS on the shelf everywhere. A couple years ago we had Abrasive until the end of the summer. I picked some up to bring with me to the Renaissance festival, it was awesome.
  10. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Savant (360) Minnesota Mar 22, 2013

Has anyone seen anything after 12/19 canning date? I'm going to send some to a buddy and want to make sure he gets freshie fresh. Thanks, all.
  11. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (270) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

I'm havinga hard time finding fresh surly in general. 12-19 is the freshest Abrasive I've seen
  12. I will be in MN next week (Twin Cities & St. Cloud) and I'm hoping to locate a case to bring home. I sure hope I can find something fresher than 12-19! :)
  13. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Of all the IPAs out there, abrasive is fine with 6 months on it. I had 8 cans with 8 months on them at the end of summer last year and they were still 90+% of their fresh glory. Luckily surly is ALWAYS refrigerated and abrasive is so over hopped it holds up just fine.

Seriously, 3 week old abrasive is fine. Fresh matters for fresh hopped beers, but if its been properly stored, i doubt any but the 'golden palates' could tell any difference between 1 week and 2 month old abrasive.

Anyways you'll be happy with whatever you find. I promise. Abrasive rocks my world every time I have it. Its seriously the best over hopped DIPA around. Period. (as opposed to a balanced DIPA like heady)
    bigdaddypolite and Cyclone8 like this.
  14. Thanks for the feedback! I brought home 28 cans in November (canned on 10/28). I have a few left in my fridge and I do agree, they are still drinking nicely. Assuming I can locate some Abrasive next week....I look forward to comparing the fresher Abrasive to the 10/28 cans I have.
  15. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I always mean to do a side by side with different ages, but drink my stash before it gets old... a good problem to have I guess.

Last year, Merwin liquor still had abrasive in august and I picked up a couple 4 packs cause I was in the mood for a good dipa and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how good they still were after 7 or 8 months.
  16. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Completely agree. I've wondered many times what it is about Abrasive that makes it hold up so well. I had a can at 1 year, and while it was no longer a world-class DIPA, it was still delicious and intensely hoppy. Also makes me wonder what Russian River does to Pliny that makes it fall off so quickly.
  17. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

They bottle it.
  18. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

You really think it's that simple? Does Heady last like Abrasive? I haven't had the chance to experiment with it.
  19. MNPikey

Yes, it does.

Edit:
  20. 12/19 was like two and a half weeks ago, right?
    nickapalooza86 and MNBeer1017 like this.
  21. Mplsbrew

Mplsbrew Aficionado (170) Minnesota Mar 21, 2013

I bought some on 12/30 at France 44. It was canned on 12/26.
  22. I had my first Heady this summer at 4+ months old. It was, by far, the best beer I'd ever had at that time. The freshest Pliny I've consumed has been between 3-4 weeks old, and that was nowhere close to the Heady I had at four months old. However, I really want to try a fresh Pliny (or even have it on draft at the brewery) since I've heard it's a completely different beer when incredibly fresh.

Sorry for hijacking this thread (as I drink a 10/28 Abrasive that still tastes great!).
  23. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I disagree with this guy on the whole drinking from a can thing. Just another bearded douche trying to tell me how to drink my beer.
  24. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I'll be coming to the TC tonight and tomorrow for an interview at the UofM... will be staying in St. Louis Park. Anyone see Abrasive on the shelves lately? I'd love to get some to bring home but don't have a ton of time to hunt.
  25. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

It is omnipresent, you will have no problem finding it. As you will be in St. Louis Park there's a little beer store called the Four Firkins you may want to check out.
    billhelm likes this.
  26. Stevedore

Thank you! When I spent Thanksgiving in St. Paul with my wife's family, I couldn't find Abrasive anywhere in the area which included Cellars Roseville and several downtown stores such as Zipps, etc. so I wasn't sure about its current availability.
  27. It was just hitting the market for the season around Thanksgiving. Between pent-up demand, trade bait, and first batch of the season, it usually doesn't become a mainstay on the shelves until around New Year's.
  28. Got a bunch of the 12/27/2013 batch and can't help but notice this is weaker than other batches I've had. From aroma to taste, it's lacking hops. Am I crazy or did someone else notice this? I'm probably crazy.
  29. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

I've heard similar things about 12.27, I just picked up a 4pack, will report back.
  30. MNPikey

Stopped by Zipps to get some for a friend but date was 1/7/14. Anything newer out there?

I saw on Twitter that Todd mentioned the final canning for the year is this week.
  31. I was looking for some fresh as well and was only seeing 12/27. Then, after I had settled, saw a 1/7. Would be interested to know if anyone see fresher then this!
  32. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Only found 1/7/14 in my travels on Saturday as well, & that was at a high-volume store (The Ale Jail).
  33. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I keep bugging online stores to see if they have a more fresh batch. Sorry guys...
  34. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

[quoYurite="MNPikey, post: 2133954, member: 573035"]Stopped by Zipps to get some for a friend but date was 1/7/14. Anything newer out there?

I saw on Twitter that Todd mentioned the final canning for the year is this week.[/quote]
    I suppose that they're gonna start canning that black ale soon.
  35. 1/7 jeez that is way to old!
    mabermud and MNBeer1017 like this.
  36. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Savant (360) Minnesota Mar 22, 2013

Mark at Ale Jail said he's getting in a fresh shipment tomorrow and it's probably going to be the last one of the season.
  37. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Drinking a 12/19 Abrasive still tastes amazing. This beer really holds up.
  38. I agree! I was concerned during my last trip to MN that I wouldn't find fresh Abrasive. Turns out it doesn't really matter as the 12/10 and the 12/26 are still drinking nicely.
    mabermud and McRyan like this.
  39. Stevedore

I drank a 11/26 last week and it was totally fine.
  40. cachri1

cachri1 Aficionado (100) Minnesota May 11, 2008

Picked up some up tonite - 1/13 on it. Is that the last canning date?