1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abrasive is close!

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mnbuffalo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

No, should be something between 2/2-2/9.
  2. I would assume so. From Todd on Twitter:

Last run coming up next week, then BLAKKR RT @CVickberg: How much longer will delicious Abrasive be brewed this year? March? @surlybrewer

https://twitter.com/surlybrewer on February 2.
  3. Sorry, misread your post. There should be one more canning date, as MNPikey accurately stated. ;)
  4. cachri1

cachri1 Aficionado (100) Minnesota May 11, 2008

Good to hear!

Thanks!
  5. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I'm always sad to see this one done until fall again.
    BeerGoogler and Mnmaverick like this.
  6. MNPikey

Checked a few stores today and they all seemed to have ALOT of Abrasive dated 12/26/13. Distributors unloading old stuff?
  7. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

Still have 1 left from the 36 I bought online. Every year I feel sad when I crack the last one so I leave it in the fridge as long as I can. :(. See you next year, abrasive.
    McRyan and MarkJC1018 like this.
  8. yasky

yasky Savant (270) New York Dec 21, 2008

My brother was in mn earlier this week. A lot dated early to mid January still on the shelves.
  9. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

I went to 4 stores in the Maple Grove area tonight and everything was still from December. Anybody have anything newer out there? I'm trying to help a buddy in a trade and would like something a bit fresher. Thanks
  10. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Quit promising shit if you are not 100% sure you can deliver.
  11. doner24

Seriously, did you read the post? I promised that I can get him Abrasive (which I can 100% deliver), but would like to get him the freshest possible as he is passing it along to someone that has never had anything from Surly.

Thanks for your helpful reply though...ass.
  12. Hey I think I saw some 1/13 abrasive at liquor barrel which I believe was in SLP? Or near it.
    doner24 likes this.
  13. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

1/13/14 at the Four Firkins as well, that's the freshest I've seen. Miss Surly self-distributing.
  14. 1/13 is the freshest ive seen its all around in SW Minneapolis stores Abrasive is one of the best 2IPA'S at holding its bouquet (hops)
  15. doner24

I agree, I've had 8 month old Abrasive and it was still fantastic. As I mentioned above, I am helping out an out of state buddy in a BIF and he wants as fresh as possible. I grabbed some of the 1/13 today at FF thanks to the poster above.
  16. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Freshest in Rochester is 12/19! Still awesome though. Anyone ever seen abrasive on nitro?
  17. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I was just there last night and the ones on top of were 12/19.
  18. The ones in that walk in cooler? Sorry I'm from out if town and hit up half a dozen stores so it could have been a different place but I really thought it was there.
  19. McRyan

Yeah, i only checked in the walk in. I should of checked more than one, shoot.
  20. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I wonder about the supply and demand of this beer. After the initial onslaught... Maybe Surly should not date Abrasive canso_O.
  21. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I think demand is fine, they just started using a distributor this year and we went from finding 3 day old surly to finding 3 week old surly at best. It sucks.
  22. I'm sure a lot of places have the newer stock.
    But it's like an Easter egg hunt, as most stores keep the fresher beer in back.

I've been pretty lucky by just politely asking at the counter.
    I know this tactic is confusing or too much effort to some (as well as spending a few moments placing a call).
    Bottom line is if they want your business, they'll happily accommodate your request.

I've found that Zipps usually has the freshest Surly.
    Too bad I don't get that way very often.

Truth is, I only care about dates on Abrasive if it's for a trade.
    Had a 12/10 the other day.
    It was just as kickass as the 1/7 I followed it up with.

I'm actually sending some 1/7 right now, and feel fine about it.
    I'm sure he will be too.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    gatornation and BrettHead like this.
  23. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I have a 11/27 and two 12/26's sitting in the fridge and don't feel bad about it. I know it'll be just as good as it was when I picked them up.
    dkrep and Ri0 like this.
  24. Seefeldt

Totally agree. To make a long story short, I asked last night at not my regular store if they had any fresher Abrasive and I walked out the door not only with some (slightly) fresher Abrasive, but also a 2012 Abyss, 2013 BCBCS, and 2013 BCBBW. So yeah, don't be afraid to ask politely for stuff!
    BrettHead and lonewolfcry like this.
  25. This beers holds up so well it is ridiculous, had a 11/15 and a 12/19 the other night and they tasted identical... Do not have anything fresher to compare it to, but as far as my memory goes they did not drop off at all really.
    Ri0 and Seefeldt like this.
  26. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

I completely agree about the canning dates not affecting the great taste of Abrasive. I shake my head each time someone posts looking for the freshest Abrasive for trading. People shouldn't worry so much about trying to impress people they will never meet.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  27. You obviously don't get trading.
    We're not trying to impress, just building solid trading relationships.
    While we know about the shelf life of Abrasive, the guy who's constantly hooking me up with great beers from Cigar City, Russian River, Lawson's or Hill Farmstead always appreciates the freshest beer - especially IPA.

If you can't understand that....oh well.
  28. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Agreed. Not everyone you trade Abrasive to has that experience of being able to compare 3-month old with 1-week old and realizing that there isn't much of a dropoff and would probably take it the wrong way if you send him the 3-month old. Why not play it safe and send the freshest so he can figure out what to do with it himself?

That being said... why trade it? Drink dat shit man! ;)
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  29. MNPikey

Abrasive landed in Chicago today.
  30. McRyan

stop!
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Exactly. Abrasive holds up well and still tastes great 2-3 months later. All that goodness is trapped in a can with no where to go until you crack it open.
  32. Man, that 11/27 batch was my favorite of all of them this year. There was just something special about it. Enjoy the crap out of that one, and then smile while drinking the 12/26's.
  33. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I thought the 11/27 batch seemed to be a bit more boozy/hot, compared to the 12/26 and 1/13 batches I've had more recently.
  34. Found some 1/13 at the downtown whole foods,probably the freshest in the twin cities(not that it matters much).
    Gonna be a sad day when it's gone for the year.
  35. Seefeldt

Rochestites: Northwest Liquor has Abrasive on sale for $13.98
    Also, Founders Breakfast Stout for $7.99 and some Green Flash bombers on sale as well.
  36. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Picked some up an hour ago at Firkins. 1/29.
  37. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Had a friend get me a 4 pk for around $12 during a 35% off sale. Would get more, but I have Nugget Nectar, Zombie Dust, Sue, and DirtWolf in the fridge.
  38. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Dirt wolf!!!
  39. Awesome.2/2 canned is my hoarding date
  40. MNPikey

Abrasive sightings from last Jan /early Feb?