1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Absinthe Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Mar 21, 2013.

1. So lately I have had a strange obsession with Absinthe apart from beer and was wondering if the ideas could be combined. I found this on google:
    http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2011/03/avery_brewing_dreaming_of_an_a.php
    There was also a link to an apparent post on this site, but it was dead.
    Does anyone know if the plans behind this beer ever can to fruition, or was this idea completely abandoned?

2. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Admittedly, I have no information regarding the Avery project, but if you need some sort of confluence between absinthe and beer, there's always Chiostro from Birrificio Piccolo, brewed with wormwood...

3. I picked up an interesting Biere d'Absinthe in Quebec - cannot recall whose as it was exactly a year ago...

4. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

IDK about commercially available beers but if you are at all into brewing make sure to check out Stephen Buhners "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" book. Talks about brewing with all sorts of crazy shit, including wormwood.

Kuemmelbrau and RobertColianni like this.
  5. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Despite the reviews and the fact that it is White Birch, I heard this beer was quite unique and excellent if you enjoy Absinthe http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20417/69019

Would for sure like to see more Absinthe beers hit the market, hell any unique barrel really.

6. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

7. One of the 3 basic herbs utilized in the 2nd distillation process and it has a hint but its not the entire flavor. So no not the same thing!

8. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

Learn something new everyday. Thank you, kind mademoiselle.

9. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Thread got me thinking, "didn't VP&B have an Absinthe beer a little while ago?". Sure enough:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/860/46208

Not that this does you much good as it's retired and as with all their beer draft only but none the less a rare attempt at a rare style. Seem to remember it tasting somewhat like a minty, medicinal tea.

10. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

I absolutely adore absinthe and have been drinking it for over 10 years. I can see some obstacles trying to combine the 2 however. The high alcohol content of neutral spirits are necessary to extract the flavors and essential oils from the Anise, Wormwood, fennel etc... There are typically several floral ingrefients in absinthe, which I don't think will meld well with a beer.

I'll be glad to discuss this further, or answer any questions anyone else has. I feel that I have a vast knowledge of Absinthe as I have been researching this (drinking and reading) for many years.

Cheers

11. Dieu Du Ciel in Montreal brews an absinthe beer, but it is brewpub-only and I forget what it's called... pretty good though, had it last year.

12. I'm all for unique beers but I don't know if I could bring myself to try an Absinthe beer. I really wanted to like Absinthe but it's a no go for me. I might give one more shot if I get back to the Absinthe Bar in Memphis.