1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ABV/Homebrewing Bills making their way through MS Leg

Discussion in 'US - South' started by trill, Mar 1, 2012.

1. trill

trill Aficionado (215) Mississippi Jun 29, 2007

PROGRESS. Yesterday, SB2878 and HB1422 (bills increasing the allowable ABV of beer from 6.25% to 10%) were passed by their respective committees, forwarding the House bill to the general assembly and the Senate bill to the Senate Tourism committee (which may pass the bill today). This is a small step but definitely one in the right direction, and it's further than we've ever gone before. NOW IS THE TIME to call or email your representatives and put a beer bug in their ear - for more info and updates check raiseyourpints.com

2. yesferro

yesferro Savant (250) Mississippi Jul 30, 2008

I have a case of premature giddyness

3. trill

trill Aficionado (215) Mississippi Jun 29, 2007

MORE PROGRESS. SB2878 was passed by the Senate Tourism committee, which moves it along to the general assembly for a vote. Details TBA on when the votes will take place, but NOW IS THE TIME to contact your state reps and tell them you support these bills. They need to hear from as many of us as possible; if you're not sure who your reps are or how to contact them, check out votesmart.org to look them up.

4. This is like the Saints going to the Super Bowl. Fingers crossed and state reps contacted.

5. HB 1422 passed the floor but was held on motion to reconsider. It could be tabled and therefore go straight to the Senate, but we'll see. Meanwhile - as stated, the Senate version is on the floor for debate.

The Homebrew bills are still in committee, they have until Tuesday to pass or they're done for the year.

There are several other beer related bills in the state this year - but these 2 topics are the RYP focus for the year.

yesferro likes this.
  6. This is exciting! I have mixed emotions if this passes.....I will miss my Smokey and the Bandit excusions into Alabama. I'll be east bound and down tomorrow though!