1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ABV laws are confusing

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by brewtus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

So I live in Ohio where the abv law is 12% I can sit here and complain for hours but that's not my real focus here. my questions is WHY would a state cap the alcohol of beer when there are bottles of wine and cheap liquors sitting on the same shelf? Does anyone understand this one realistically

2. Nope. Makes no sense to me.

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  3. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

It has to do with traditional serving sizes, I'm sure. but it's dumb

4. The government in it's benevolence feels the need to make decisions for us all, we're just not smart enough to make are own. We should be thankful.

5. Try driving over to Memphis , , you can only buy beer in a gas station or similar store , not a liquor store , unless said beer is over 6% then you can only purchase it in a liquor store , not a gas station or grocery store. I get confused on as to where I can buy what , so I only go to Memphis 4 times a year , stick to Arkansas where I can buy my PBR and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot in the same store

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Stupidity that' why.

7. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Ya Tennessee has the weirdest laws I have personally encountered

8. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

I would go for that if it meant I could buy bourbon county stout

9. This because people who pay for 15 % RIS that cost 50 dollars will proceed to chug them like Bud's.
    Also no one will ever use wine to get drunk nor vodka.

Having a max. ABV for beers that can be sold at a gas station is way funnier. Is this basically the government saying, we know & expect you to buy beer at the gas station and drink it whilst before and/or during driving. Just don't drink beer that is too strong otherwise that is like dangerous?

KevinGordon likes this.
  10. Lol...what? People use mouthwash to get drunk.

11. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Not to be a dick, but I found this funny...

NABS, InVinoVeritas, robwater and 3 others like this.
  12. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Buckeye brother, I've railed about this FOREVER, shit in the early '90's the cap was 8% abv...thankfully the state was too dense to catch on to a lot of the import stuff like say Aventinus or LaChouffe that was at or over the cap. I'm sure they have a reason but it's BS whatever they think they are stopping or preventing and the idea that it would be competition for wine & liquor is even more ridiculous when we live in a CAPITALIST society. Makes about as much sense as the Sunday liquor laws...AHEM, freedom of religion, hello?! The only reason those laws are there is because of the church...well if my church or my beliefs say I can purchase and consume before 1pm, I guess I'm oppressed by the majority of ONE religion. It's a great country, but it's a strange culture. Elect common sense & personal responsibility...

13. Yeah, that is my sarcastic way on commenting on the governments idea to make beer above 12 % illegal but not wine & still sell vodka.

lemongelo and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. The 21st Amendment (Repeal of Prohibition) gave the states the right to control their own alcoholic beverage markets and write their own laws. Besides the different ways some states license beer vs. wine and/or spirits retailers and, in some cases, being hold-overs from "Dry" attitudes and what was or wasn't "non-intoxicating", the ABV/ABW limits also were written into the laws defining what "beer/malt liquor/malt beverage" was and how and to which beverages their state alcohol excise taxes were applied. Typically higher abv wines and liquor pay much higher excise taxes per gallon of product. A beer with a "wine-like" abv would have been seen by lawmakers as trying to circumvent their tax system. (Also, they just didn't exist in the US brewing industry at the time).

Ohio in particular apparently had two different beer excise tax rates for a long time, and ads from the '30's - 50's would list prices for "3.2%" beers and what was advertised as "6%" or "7%" beer (sometimes of the same brand, the latter called "high powered" or "high test" in some ads) - those beers that fell into Ohio's "above 3.2 abw, below 6/7% abw" tax category.

An example clipped out of a 1936 Ohio ad for a local Cleveland brand:

[​IMG]

GoGators likes this.
  15. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

NC ABV for beer and wine is 15%, and we have a State Liquor control board where all you can buy is Spirits. Anything over 15% and it would have to be in the ABC system which would be a pain in the ass for them. Where there is privatization I don't see the reason, such as states like NJ who sell everything under one roof.

KevinGordon likes this.
  16. Baby steps I guess. 6, 7, 8 years ago our ABV limit was 6%, so at least we have 15% going for us now. We can drink Olde School, but not 120 Minute or Worldwide Stout. Some day though! (not anytime soon with our new wholly Republican controlled legislature. Thanks rednecks.)

Also liquor stores in NJ are a God send from Heaven. All of them. Fricken Wal-Mart of booze.

17. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

If your an Alcoholic NJ would be heaven, you can buy Scythian anywhere at much lower prices than Pa.

18. [​IMG][/quote] I'll take a case for $2.25. Its worth the extra 27 cents.

19. Alcoholic is such a dirty word.
    I prefer Daily Connoisseur.

creepinjeeper and brewtus like this.
  20. A lot of legislation is a carry over from old regulations designed to deal with situations long since gone.My own two cents' worth is that if a brewer can't achieve what he wants from 12% ABV it should be back to the drawing board.

21. Not being a dick; it's the internet, no such thing.

Winner winner, it was meant as a bit of irony in the context of the rest of my post. Stick around, indubitably won't be the only time to mix are / our.