1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by kscaldef, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffsm12

geoffsm12 Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 11, 2010

5 or 6 left as of this morning

2. Where are they in the store? I stopped by last night and couldn't find them anywhere. Also stopped by Holman road QFC but they were all gone.

Hopefully Last Drop has some left, I'm gonna go over tomorrow when they open up.

3. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

They are in the back corner of the store in a craft facing. They haven't put it all out either so the last bit should be staggered a bit more.

4. I am thankful on this day to have any principles at all. Cheers.

5. I believe that Columbia distributes FW in Seattle (per barleywinefield).

6. AB SouthWest is the distributor for FW in King County. Olympic Eagle (also inBev) for Pierce County and south.

7. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

8. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

How was the bottle of the 2011? Aside from a few of the negative comments about the vintage in this thread, I thought the keg version I had at the Apex a bit odd as well. It was very different from the fresh 2012, and I didn't feel that was all attributable to the extra time in bottle/keg.

Just curious, as I plan to bring a 2009 through 2012 vertical to an event back east in January. Thanks!

9. I
    I defer to you on this. Doesn't change my position, tho.

10. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Every FW salesperson in Pierce County drives a vehicle with the words Budweiser stamped on it somewhere...unless it says Bud Light of course. If you're drinking FW in the PNW, you are supporting InBev.

11. Lordkrystic

Come on in to the Red Hot while you're here, I got a beer with your name on it.

12. John_M

Ha! Thanks, it's on the game plan for tomorrow if we can fit it in. Going to try to make it over around noonish... hopefully with Barleywinefiend, if he and the wife can make it over with the newborn. Just so much going on, with so many different things we're supposed to try to fit in. Not sure we can fit a trip to Redhot in tomorrow as well, but definitely plan to try. If tomorrow doesn't work, then I'll stop by on Saturday after I drop everyone off at the airport. This week has already just flown by!

My brother's girlfriend is a big hotdog fan, so of course I told them we need to stop by the redhot. Hopefully we can make it happen!

(thanks for the invite!)

Lordkrystic likes this.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

This is getting off topic, but if you're going to boycott brands based on being aligned with an AB distributor you have to stop drinking the following (at least in Oregon):

• 10 Barrel
    • Burnside
    • Fort George
    • Gigantic
    • Lompoc
    • Ninkasi
    • Oakshire
    • Pelican
    • Bear Republic
    • Firestone
    • North Coast
    • Oskar Blues
    • Boulevard
    • Ommegang
    • Southern Tier
    • Victory
    • All Merchant du Vin products: Sam Smiths, Rochefort, Orval, Ayinger, and more
    • All Vanberg & Dewulf products: Scaldis, DuPont, and more
    That doesn't even include the brands that AB has an ownership stake in like Widmer, Kona, Redhook, or Goose Island.

14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well, so much for that—not that I was ever "boycotting" in the first place.

15. John_M

Looks hopeful for today (probably around noon). Hopefully we'll run into you, if you think you'll be around. Cheers!

Lordkrystic likes this.
  16. Buy them a round for me Jeff? I won't be getting up there until tomorrow.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  17. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Just picked up my 6 bottles at 99 Bottles. Such a cool bottle shop, wish it was closer to me

draheim likes this.
  18. Last Drop has 3 or 4 cases left. Bottle limit of two per person at $13.29 each. Got my two, I'm happy.

19. John_M

Thoughtful gesture, but please relax on that guys.

Was only able to stop by briefly, but everyone had a great time there. Good dogs and good beer; what's not to like? Really, really liked the old lompoc C-sons greatings DIPA. So very, very fresh... my brother and his GF thought the cherry cider was excellent as well. Sigh... hopefully can make it by again tomorrow or Sunday. Truly, there just isn't enough time in the day! Cheers!!!

Lordkrystic likes this.
  20. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

I didn't see and Dissident, but Abyss was still there as of this afternoon.

21. Lordkrystic

Hah! Ninja visit. Hopefully the service was good. Say hey next time!

22. John_M

Service was friendly and quick... it always is. We were on our way to Woodinville, and were concerned about the traffic, given the rain. So we really only had time for a quick stop. Still, everyone had a nice time and we enjoyed our time there. Will try to make a more extended visit next time around. Cheers!

Lordkrystic likes this.
  23. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Found a few bottles yesterday at the Hollywood Fred Meyer, $14.19 each. I called around to a few other stores but they all said it hasn't arrived yet. There were about six bottles on the display when I left.

24. Picked up 10 bottles yesterday. Going to cellar a few and use a few for trade bait.

25. I really dont mind that Inbev distributes different beers because the seem to be changing their overall business model in the past few years because of the quick rise of craft beer. They have been seeing approx a 3-5% decrease in overall beer sales while the craft beer has seen the exact opposite with 3-5% growth each year. Inbev has turned to distributing craft beer to make up for the lose. So every time you see a budweiser truck it is usually filled with less than 25% of other breweries beers. It kinda make sense since budweiser can be found in bottles/draft in every city in the US. We do need more independent beer distributors though to get some new/special beers to WA.
    With breweries like firestone walker and other greats Inbev is quick to try and distribute them because they know if they dont do it someone else will. I just the hope they bring the bourbon county stout to WA, that would really suck if they didnt.

Anyways back to OP, I had the Abyss on tap at Coopers last Wednesday and I was somewhat let down. It was pretty good but not as good as past version and taste like it will not age the best but I do have one bottle I will give a year.

libbey likes this.
  26. ckobes

ckobes Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 11, 2012

Any word of Abyss in bottle shops around Tigard?

27. John_M

Did you check the Bridgeport Whole Foods? I would think that would be your best bet. You might also call the Fred Meyer over in Tualitin (the one just off of Interstate 5), as I know they have an excellent wine selection.

Otherwise, John's Marketplace is just up the road a bit, and they'll certainly get some in. Good luck!

28. i would like to nominate 6-packs of the Abyss as a frontrunner for best idea ever :D

libbey, BuckeyeOne and cavemanlawyer like this.
  29. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Has anyone seen Abyss at QFCs or Fred Meyers in the Lynnwood or Mill Creek area? Our Kroger stores really seem to stink compared to Seattle. Thank heavens for Central Market, Special Brews, and Elliott Bay.

30. Cool story, bro. When others are scrambling to find even one bottle, you grabbed 10.

BrassHandles likes this.
  31. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Maybe Abyss sits around in his part of the world and he's just saving gas money. Like I've said before, Abyss '11 was sitting around here until 2 months ago, it moves slow here. I picked a bunch of 2012 to send to other BA's that can't get it.

32. They got two cases left. All you can eat.

33. That's not the point. The point is that most people are posting about their frustration or are looking at where they might buy it. One guy posting he picked up 10 is, well, a cool story, bro.

BrassHandles likes this.
  34. Help out your fellow BAs and let them know who "They" is.

BrassHandles likes this.
  35. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

BrassHandles is in Vancouver. If this year is anything like last year, all of the Portland metro will be swimming in Abyss once it actually gets through the distro channels. I'm unclear how that will help you out in Seattle.

36. BuckeyeOne likes this.
  37. I don't need help. Just being a beer advocate.

BrassHandles likes this.
  38. mrunseen

mrunseen Savant (250) Washington Mar 4, 2006

I just got back from Wholefoods Westlake, they are out. They said they got their shipment in on Tuesday the 20th, which burns my ass, since I was in there Tuesday a little before 5 and was told they hadn't gotten any yet :p. Oh well.

If any BA's know of a location around Seattle with a couple bottles, feel free to let me know. :)

39. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Everywhere I went today was either out or never got any.

But as someone said, didn't this happen last year too? The first wave came and went and then a much larger 2nd shipment came in.

If not, guess I missed this.

40. Lordkrystic

Tacoma: Pint Defiance and TBoys for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.