Abyss 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by kscaldef, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The last drop bottle shop on lake city way still had about 2 cases yesterday... Not opened today! Hope this helps

2. pjdipes

pjdipes Zealot (90) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Big Star Market on 105th (Northgate/Greenwood) has bottles. Not sure how many, visually looked like maybe 8-10 as of 11/25. $15.99 per I reckon. Happy Hunting!

3. keg of 2009 has been on tap at the Eastside Club in Olympia for anyone who finds themselves down South. It is drinking incredible right now. Velvet Bourbon Chocolate Milkshake.

4. I've also heard of a tapping at the Alehouse in Tacoma in early December (6th?) that will be featuring a mini vert of 09, 10, 11 and 12 of Abyss along with a mini vert of BBXXI, BBXIII, and BBXIV

5. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Having had it on tap and after drinking a bottle on Black Friday, I've decided I'm just not that jazzed with this years batch. With the price creeping closer to that of Parabola I'd just as soon have the latter. For that matter, growlers of Suge Knight for less than $20 (when available) are a screaming deal in comparison.

BigE90, exitmusic00 and bifrost17 like this.
  6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Along this same line, the Parkway Tavern had the Abyss on tap this past Sunday. The bartender was a bit unclear about the vintage (at first indicating it was the 2011, and later stating that it was the current release). My guess is that it was actually the 2011, as I've had the 2012 several times now, and the version at the Parkway seemed much smoother and more mature (it was really drinking well I thought). It was also a veritable bargain at $6 a pint.

Barry at Pint Defiance indicated he expected to have the 2012 on draft at some point in the near future, but I got the iimpression he didn't expect it to go on any time soon (a couple of weeks I believe is what he said). Not sure at this point how many bottles are left there, but it seemed to be moving pretty slowly when I stopped by last week before Thanksgiving. Nevertheless, I would recommend calling in advance before anyone heads over to buy any more botles.

7. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

The Red Hot will be tapping a 2012 this week. On December 21, there will be a 2011 and 2012 going on. Along with BB XXIII and XXIV.

One othe juicy gem going on at the Alehouse on the sixth is a partial 09 Mirror Mirror.

E9 is having a big event the night of the sixth also.

Big beer happenings in lil ole Tacoma!

8. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

This year's has a hop presence that I don't think I've ever picked up on in a fresh batch before. I'm assuming that's going to drop out before long.

9. Had a glass of this just yesterday before I got on the road to Seattle. Great stuff.

Lordkrystic and libbey like this.
  10. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Good looking out - stopped through Tacoma Boys this morning as I had to be in Tacoma today for work. Cool store - about 1.5 cases of abyss on the floor.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  11. 2 cases at Lake City Fred Meyer right now.

12. "Lake City" as in in North Seattle - on Lake City Way, right? I was there by 4:00. No cases on the floor, no cases in the back, and the employee scanned the "Deschutes Seasonal $13.99" tag to show no stock.

Did I miss something - other than the beer?

13. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Unless he picked all of them up. Haha. I was just about to look up where Lake City was.

14. One of the few bourbon barrel-aged stouts that I'll still buy. Great beer.

15. Haha, I left right before I posted that, around 3:00. The wine section worker told me there was two cases in back. Sorry if they couldn't find it. They had issues ringing my bottles up as well. And yes, Lake City, as in Lake City Way in North Seattle.

16. No worries. Glad to know they're still there, though.

To any others searching - beware the salmon-colored shirt, bespectacled man. A kind soul, but his "I'll go check in back"'s are all for naught. :)

17. Chrispy

Chrispy Aficionado (125) Washington Oct 30, 2012

The new BevMo by northgate mall had 3 cases the last time I was there for 14.49 a bottle.

18. mrunseen

mrunseen Savant (250) Washington Mar 4, 2006

When were you there last?

19. Chrispy

A week ago. I know it is not the most recent visit but people looking for the Abyss probably don't think of going to BevMo to get it.

20. yojimbo1

I was there on Sunday and didn't see any. I'd be upset if it were there and I just missed it. Was there a bottle limit, if not someone probably nabbed all of them? We're they in the back?

21. Chrispy

If you walk in and go to fridge in front of you, take a right and they are/were on the floor at the end of the cooler. No limit.

22. Chrispy

Full Throttle Bottles also said in the newsletter they sent out on the morning of the 27th that they were getting a shipment in that afternoon with a limit of 2 per person. It has only been a day so they might still have some. If you call they will tell you if they are still in stock.

23. Lordkrystic

On the shelves at the Tacoma CoOp today.

24. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

@ LCY FM as we speak Cases of it

25. NWer

BevMo @ Northgate also

26. NWer

Special Brews just posted on their website an hour ago they have Abyss. When do we declare Abyss to be ubiquitous around here?

jnoble and Lordkrystic like this.
  27. yojimbo1

Thanks NWer. On my way.

28. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (350) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Any Alaskans finding any? Just saw it for the first time in Anchorage at Bodega. $13.95 each.

29. Hey Seattle: Still 2 cases left at BevMo Northgate as of an hour ago.

30. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

TBoys out and @ $18 when they had there 2 cases! (Puyallup anyway)

31. gatdamn.jpg!

Drankin' four-point-five
    year old Ten Fidy. Cannot
    make haiku. Can't drive.

32. mrunseen

mrunseen Savant (250) Washington Mar 4, 2006

Not surprisingly, a week after DousedInStout's sighting, there is no more left at BevMo Northgate, I confirmed this tonight. I should have gotten my ass out there sooner!

33. mchen

mchen Aficionado (195) Washington Dec 13, 2010

Hmmm any other places with Abyss in Seattle? Or am I too late?

34. Don't know about bottles, but Latona Pub and Mutiny Hall both have it on tap right now.

35. mchen

mchen Aficionado (195) Washington Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for the tip at least I can go have some on tap. :)

36. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Popped my first bottle of this year's vintage. Sweeter than i remember but still chocolaty, boozy and delicious.

37. Lordkrystic

2010 abyss on at the Ale House in Tacoma. It is drinking mighty fine.

smutty33 likes this.
  38. amiles

amiles Aficionado (200) Oregon Feb 4, 2007

Just bought a bottle at Freddie's on broadway and 28th in portland. Looks like they have about two cases. $14.19.

39. Chrispy

Last Drop bottle shop told me they got a random case in today. Visited 12/13/2012 at 7pm. It was not displayed so just ask for it.

40. NWer

Abyss seems to trickle out on a regular basis. Good marketing by Deschutes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.