1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

E1G had some Lukcy yesterday when I stopped in there.
  2. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

A serious case of assholeitis.
  3. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

It was on the top shelf where the bombers and 750s are now. The new beer guy is starting up a twitter account for just that store, so keep an eye out for tags on the shelves with the info.

The new guy is really enthusiastic about craft beer. He's added an endcap set up with all local stuff. I think we'll be seeing a lot more interesting things there.

He also said that he got in three bottles of Utopias, and that one guy bought all of them. o_O
    Dareibreathe and mattisloco like this.
  4. I am Seeing a case of Abyss real soon in EIG's Future(oops wasn't suppose to say it) thinking if i should save it & release it later with a BIG ASS mark up(never did that) or be a nice guy and sell it WHEN i get it(like i always do) :D ...IF i decide to sell it will put it on twitter @E1Grocery
    Clonies720, BK1017, TapThat and 3 others like this.
  5. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (335) Texas Dec 18, 2011

Don't think Austin is completely sold out yet... I've still got a couple of leads I am following. Certainly not 100%, but leads none the less.
  6. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Saw a guy checking out with one at the South Congress HEB, must've been the last one. It seems every HEB in town got a case.
  7. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

It seems like my HEB never gets anything rare like this. 620 and 2222
  8. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

The HEBs in my area piss me off because they do "waiting lists" with their rare/limited releases... so they never actually hit the shelves.
  9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

LOL. FOR REAL? That's my HEB and their beer selection is usually one of the worst for HEB in all of Austin.
  10. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

You need to go to Parmer/I-35(tech ridge) HEB...that's mine and I can't imagine another HEB coming close to their level of pathetic when it comes to beer selection
  11. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Come north to Cedar Park. The beer selection is horrifying
  12. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

The heb at mopac/Parmer is one of the worst I've seen that's in a decent neighborhood. Go east like east 7th or riverside and its even worse.
  13. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

What's weird is that some used to be pretty good and then got remodeled and reset and they suck now. The one at O'Connor and 620 was decent a few years ago and then the store got remodeled and the beer department went to shit.
  14. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Living on wells branch ive been to the mcneil parmer location, the pflugerville near 35 location and the one on 35 near parmer, all of which were HORRIBLE when i first moved here and now you look and nearly get whiplash in the beer isle cause you dont think you see what you see there.
  15. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

The HEB beer guys move around just like any other beer professionals, trying to move up I am guessing. It happens. I am always losing good beer guys locally too, one was at my Specs and a couple different guys at local HEBs. :(
  16. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

The Lakeline one or the 1431 one? The new huge Lakeline HEB has a nice selection. Not earth-shattering or anything, but nice.
  17. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Oh look, a ton of posts on the Abyss thread and still no Houston sighting.... :oops:
    Ford and BeerSocrates12 like this.
  18. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

This thread became a Austin HEB circle jerk. I know it's easy to digress gents and ladies but try to keep it close to on topic (I am a bad offender of this at times).

Reports for FW suggest next week. I've heard the same for Dallas. Any info on Houston to be had?
    cfh64 likes this.
  19. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

As for the last 2 months... "Next Week"
    HopAG and UHCougar12 like this.
  20. kmello69

"Next week" is the go-to response for beer guys. They should just make plaques with that printed on it so they can point to it at all times. o_O
    Clonies720 and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Wear a Flava-flav like chain with said sign...
  22. Jeeze stupid Houston distribution. Driving through OR and WA now and still seeing it all over. Stopped at The Bier Stein last night and they had 4+ cases just sitting there still. Not wanting to deal with transport back to TX yet and expecting it still in Houston but will be annoyed if it doesn't show. Luckily my GF will be in the area and can grab more if it is still around if necessary but this is not a good alternative to normal TX distribution.
  23. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

I would of gone bananas and taken a couple
  24. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

same deal for me over the last couple of months. I have picked up a couple here and there and drank them though.
  25. kmello69

East 1st Grocery (Austin) just got more Abyss in, along with more Funk Metal and Wunderkind. FYI
  26. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Reminded me of Tthe Money Pit...

[Walter has missed a meeting with the permit man, who got steamed and left]
    Curly: If he ever does come back, you call me and we'll finish the job.
    Walter: When I do get the permits, how long will the job take?
    Curly: Two weeks.
    Walter: Two weeks? Two weeks?
    Curly: You sound like a parakeet there. "Two weeks! Two weeks!"
    Walter: Well, two weeks. It- it's amazing.
    Curly: Amazing nothing. It'll be a regular miracle.
  27. Only one Abyss left here, friends.
  28. SBoyar1

SBoyar1 Aficionado (200) Texas Nov 14, 2012

NOOOOOOOOO! Damn work, preventing me from getting some Abyss today....
  29. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (265) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I saw lucky at e1g on Friday. They might still have some. They also got abyss today, and funk.
  30. mmireles

I was off today and went to several different places looking for it. Went to the Specs on Smith Street, the guy there didn't know anything. Went to D&Q and Brandon really wasn't certain when it would be in.
  31. uhcougar

uhcougar Aficionado (155) Texas Mar 27, 2010

Mmireles deserves a bottle just for his cool Vyvyan avatar. (Fellow Young Ones Fan in Houston)
    BeanBone and mmireles like this.
  32. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I've heard it may start popping up around DFW tomorrow. If not then, early next week.

That's coming from a BEK guy.
  33. icetrauma

I just sent Deschutes an email. Let's see if they have anything to say.
  34. mmireles

Sent them an email almost a week ago and never heard back from them.
  35. icetrauma

BASTARDS! :D
  36. jacobbocce72

3 bottles left at the new Lakeline HEB as of 6:30.
  37. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

^
    This.

What the hell? It went to every HEB in the Austin Metro? Did Whole Foods get ANY? Must be some HEB-Skullduggery.
  38. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Whole Foods Downtown Austin was mentioned as having it "in the back" I assume it's gone by now.

Sounds like every HEB in Travis County got it.
  39. kmello69

WF got it, because I bought a bottle there. But its long gone
  40. jacobbocce72

I tried to keep this whole thing on the DL as I didn't want to spread any information that wasn't true. This is essentially what happened (from the mouth of the HEB guys).

Went to the Parmer/McNeil HEB Saturday in search of Abyss. Talked the beer guy who then talked to his distributor. He told me the Lakeline and Volente locations would be getting it in Monday. Score! I walk in to each of the locations that were supposed to have the Abyss Monday. Both told me that their distributor did not have it in the warehouse for some reason and both were very pissed. Both call their distributor and find out that it just so happened to be at another warehouse and the Abyss would should up Tuesday. Beer guy at HEB didn't get there until Wednesday, so it didn't hit the shelves until Wednesday.

Take all that for what its worth. I honestly didn't even know if it would be there when I showed up today.