Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Yeah... too bad we didn't get the funky jewbelation... actually, we did... in the mix pack.... excellent beer. The BA kicken chicken, had it last month in Colorado...meh.
    BA human blockhead was good though!

2. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Picked up the Kicken Chicken today. Will be drinking it Sunday or Sat. night.

3. icetrauma

This is so true. I traded for Black-Ops and I must say, I will never pay that kinda quid for that beer.

4. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

BA Dogfather. At $8-9 it's a winner in my book. See above for Bishops Barrel. Hell I'd take BA Wake Up the Dead over Black OPs. BA Raspy. A taste of (512) WBDPP.

Yeah it's a small list but we get much better examples than Black Ops. bring on BA Black Chocolate Stout and Brooklyn can just take my back account #.

5. crusian

BA do father, no thanks, regular is better, one of the few examples of that.
    But I was looking for whiskey/bourbon. Bishops, yes, wake up dead, no... good beer though. Do we get BA Rasputin here? Good beer, just too expensive.

Krumb likes this.
  6. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

We do get the Raspy and I totally agree. Part of what makes the BBA Dogfather nice is the price. I liked the Real Ale Morgal that I tried last night... Makers, Bookers, Pappy was my drink before I found craft. Shit I want to find a beer in Bookers barrel badly

7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (555) Texas Feb 21, 2011 Verified

I appreciate it though lol. Black Ops wasn't for me either.

8. icetrauma

LOL...........

9. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

I'm with you $22 is a lot for this, I should have bought a few 4 packs of BCS

10. GregSVT

GregSVT Advocate (530) Texas Jul 1, 2009 Verified

I've heard reports of the 2012 batch being infected. Hope you have better luck.

11. icetrauma

I bought it on the way to work and looked at the reviews at work and sad face ensued. We will see this weekend.

12. crusian

Had it over a month ago in Colorado... no sign of infection.... also no sign of good beer. Classic case of putting beer in barrel does not make it good. I liked regular better.

13. GregSVT

GregSVT Advocate (530) Texas Jul 1, 2009 Verified

I had it when they first released it in bottles and it was decent but agreed it's not a good beer.

14. icetrauma

Well that doesn't look promising at all.

15. HopAG

HopAG Savant (495) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Wait so is the abyss infected? I lost where this conversation was going...

Clonies720 likes this.
  16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

This is now the "everything barrel-aged" thread, apparently. They're talking about Kicken Chicken being infected.

17. HopAG

HopAG Savant (495) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Thanks Sr. Lutter, my clarity is gone after having one too many weekend warriors

Ford likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

No problemo, El Corporacion de InBev Bolivia thanks you.

19. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Kicken chicken was terrible. I had to force myself to finish it because it cost me 15 bucks. I dont know if it was infected or not, but chicken killer was much better.

20. Krumb

Krumb Savant (300) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Reports are that some bottles infected.

21. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (645) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

Start a new thread to discuss Kickin Chicken, because you are confusing things in here - people assume you're talking about Abyss if they havent read through the whole thing. :(

I about fouled myself because I thought you were saying that Abyss was infected!

icetrauma and lokieman like this.
  22. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Advocate (520) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

The Abyss is getting more difficult to obtain in Dallas. In 2008 it stayed on the shelf at Mr G's. By 2010 it was sold out in a couple days. Last year It was gone same day but obtainable. This year it was sold out almost everywhere within minutes. I guess I should feel lucky that I got one bottle this year.

23. Krumb

Krumb Savant (300) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Relax, guy. Most people here can read. Certain it is clear what point of my post was.

24. crusian

We didn't get abyss in 2008...

25. WickedSluggy

Maybe it was 09 that stayed on the shelves a while. My memory resolution sometimes get off a year.

26. kenihrig

kenihrig Zealot (85) Texas Apr 19, 2008

Mr G's in Plano had 3 bottles of Abyss an hour ago...could be gone by now... Earlier when I called I told them I was going to head to their store and asked them if they could hold one for me and they did. So I would suggest doing the same. If you call and they are out then post on the forum so that others don't waste their time.

Kegs & Barrels in Plano sold theirs yesterday. Likewise for Central Market on Coit/George Bush.

I ended up with two bottles with all the waiting and driving around I did. I hope they make more next year :)

27. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Advocate (550) Arizona Jul 26, 2012 Verified

Just called, and they said they are out now.

28. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (220) Texas May 18, 2005

I'm sick of driving around looking, I'll just have to live with the fact I only got 1 bottle this year....

29. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I quit after 1 as well.

30. WickedSluggy

Guess I got the last one at Mr G's. Ended up with 2 total. Worked hard for the beer this year, for sure. Very happy I can have one fresh.

31. DanzBorin

You are supposed to age this beer. It's not good fresh.

32. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (265) Texas Sep 6, 2010

:eek:

I'll gladly trade every last bottle of my BA Wake up dead for all of your Black OPs... those 2 beers shouldn't even be in the same thought imo. I don't even think the dead is aged in anything other than a virgin charred barrel tbh... I could be wrong but not even the slightest hint of anything even remotely resembling ANY spirit/liquor comes through.

Just to stay on track, Abyss is fantastic, is meant to be aged, conveniently has a "best after" date stamped on it to help you decide when best to enjoy it, and is NOT infected this year :)

33. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I feel like I should drink it fresh though to get an idea of how the beer develops with age. I am a lucky bastich to have 3 bottles of the 2012.

BruceBruce likes this.
  34. pattermj

pattermj Savant (255) Virginia May 31, 2008

Not true, it matters what you are going for. While I agree the 08 (in 11) was my favorite version so far (better than 07-10 fresh or aged (especially 09 aged) IMO), I still do appreciate it fresh and always make sure to pop 1 bottle when I get them to just check how I think the body and flavor will develop. I remember the 10 was distinct in the fresh taste from the 08 fresh and I am looking forward to seeing how the age has gone with it. I am just waiting for my bottles to get here.

lokieman and BruceBruce like this.
  35. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (265) Texas Sep 6, 2010

This is always a good approach when you manage to get multiple bottles. Ideally I like 3 of everything. 1 fresh, 1 to age, 1 for a friend or trade. I'll always take more if I can find them or age 2 of something if I can though.

36. mattchow

mattchow Savant (390) Texas Jun 24, 2012

its still pretty damn good fresh lol

WickedSluggy and lokieman like this.
  37. DanzBorin

11 was a joke fresh IMHO

mattisloco likes this.
  38. uhcougar

uhcougar Aficionado (235) Texas Mar 27, 2010 Verified

I have yet to get one . :(

39. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

You and me both. I have one more store that I'm hoping gets it. If they don't, then I will be missing this one.

40. mattisloco

mattisloco Advocate (500) Texas Feb 13, 2007 Verified

I couldn't agree more. Almost poured it... Almost.