1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Via trade, or order? (feel free to BM me the details if its #2)
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Me too, I'll keep it on the DL as well.
  3. No need to keep on DL, I grew up on the west coast and have a number of friends/family all over. I buy the beer or give money to them and send a box and label to get it to me. Luckily I have understanding friends and a girlfriend whom I bribe with wine to ignore my obsession with beer :). But yes there are still a number of stores throughout Oregon that have Abyss just sitting around, they wont ship it but with friends in the area it is easy to get. Much easier than here in TX

With the trouble going on in TX I figured best to just buy and get it here later, and hey it saves more for you guys in state.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Heh. I just completed a trade with The Meddler in it today.
  5. DanzBorin

That's awesome, wish I had hookups like that. :)
  6. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Nah, Abyss made Divine Reserve look like a year round release. Only 35 cases to the state I read? - 420 bottles total for all of Texas.
  7. DanzBorin

More like 70-90 cases, but yeah, Deschutes hosed us...
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  8. HoustonZ33

So make that 840 - 1080 bottles for the State, Pretty sure Houston alone could burn through that in a few hours and still have folks missing out.
  9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

True dat. Look how fast we burned through BBA Hellfighter and DR 12.
  10. DanzBorin

For sure!
  11. HoustonZ33

I like how BBA Hellfighter was the first Karbach with real hype behind it - I damned near missed out on that one. Still finding a few bottles hiding here and there. Got one today w/ Abyss matter of fact.
  12. DanzBorin

And you didn't get me an Abyss?! lol
  13. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Just a heads up. Picked up my abyss at bunkerhill. Herd they got 2 cases, but Didn't say how much was left.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  14. HoustonZ33

If I wasn't stuck at work I'd try to get another one. I don't wanna wait to taste this stuff lol
  15. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Doesn't explain the Ivan... which is a better beer, IMO.
  16. Yea it does, I just bought/paid for these beers in late November or early December, I forget when exactly, and finally got around to getting them shipped. I don't ask my friends to rush as I am not worried about it once they get it and they are doing me a big favor as is. I probably should have bought more of the Ivan as I had the opportunity but I am honestly a huge fan of Deschutes/Abyss and knew I would be getting more (aka my budget was targeted here and not for Ivans). Just was hoping to get it here in TX
  17. crusian

Ah, thought you meant recently... lol. Love Ivan.
  18. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I am pretty sure Deschutes expended distribution this recently. More states means less per state. I am frustrated about not getting more too, but geez, I don't feel like they personally screwed me. What's up with all the entitlement folks?
    Chuk_Hell and BeanBone like this.
  19. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

There are smaller states that got more than we did. It's not entitlement, they just screwed us with our pants on.

Austin/SA, Houston and DFW areas should be given a states allotment each. Instead we get about as much as the state of Washington and have it divided throughout the state which is 3 to 4 times as big.
  20. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I know the feeling. I've had dissident and abyss (as well as some russian river, 10-barrel, and a few others I've never heard of) sitting in Portland for some time now. It'll get to me when it gets to me. No rush as long as it's nothing hoppy or enjoyed better fresh. I'll try to get one of the pics uploaded later... not of my remote stash but of a center display of abyss. Apparently they couldn't push it out the door in Oregon. One place had a center display, 2 end caps, and a space on the regular beer shelf. $13.99/bottle with nobody buying... These are grocery stores too, not huge liquor warehouses like Specs. It's amazing that we're having such a rough time getting it in TX and it's literally just sitting around gathering dust on the shelves in Portland.
  21. crusian

ok, to put all this to rest, i was just up in portland for a long weekend, got back 1-21. went to many beer stores and saw abyss nowhere. not one place had any except bars that had great bottle lists, but that doesnt count. I probably hit up 9-10 stores... in and around portland, and even up into hood river. Also, it is made in Oregon...
  22. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Why is Deschutes supposed to distribute based on population alone? Shit, if I were them I probably wouldn't mess with Texas at all for small numbers products given our batshit insane laws. Also, I'd distribute the special stuff based on my sales; areas that buy the most of my everyday six-packs would get the most Reserve Series releases. Perhaps Texas is one of those markets, though.
  23. Cablejelly

Yes, I know it's brewed in bend. Let me transfer a photo and I'll have it up. You're "let me put this to rest" statement would suggest I'm lying... Also, I did state this was from a grocery store. Not sure if you hit that amongst your beer stores.
  24. Lutter

25. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Oh look, more drama coming up, we should start calling this facebook. This entire thread makes me realize how fortunate I am to have grabbed what I did.
  26. Cablejelly

:D

[​IMG]
  27. SBoyar1

SBoyar1 Aficionado (200) Texas Nov 14, 2012

Where was this?
  28. crusian

I'm not saying you are lying, I would expect places to have displays when it came out. I was just clarifying that people have said it is all over oregon. it isnt still.
    Krumb likes this.
  29. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Valid point. I don't know the #'s on how we rate as far as buying their everyday stuff but I completely agree.

My real point of bringing up a "states allotment each" was I believe the size of our state hurts us. I threw out those three areas and forgot about El Paso which is now also taking away from the allotment the other three areas gets. In short I guess I wished they looked at it as a city by city allotment size instead of "here's what Texas is getting let the distributors figure it out".

No one in Austin should be able to comment any further on butthurt. You bastards got too damn much Abyss ;)
    BeerHunter76 likes this.
  30. Cablejelly

No clue tbh, it was sent to me by a friend in Portland, recently, when he picked up my stash.

Gotcha. I'm just basing this on the pics he sent and what the "beer guy" was saying when he called. I asked him to look out for both abyss and dissident (thinking it might be just as rare there) as well as anything that fits my tastes and/or local/rare stuff. He's not a huge beer guy, being allergic to gluten/wheat, so he was getting help. The guy was glad to move a lot of the abyss because it "was taking up too much shelf space and hasn't been moving as quickly as they thought"... those were his words and this was a couple weeks ago. He almost sounded pissed that it was hogging 2 endcaps, a center display, and regular shelf space. Abyss was also found in abundance in the other 2 locations he ended up looking for beer in. Either he got incredibly lucky, it's all been claimed since then, or Oregonians don't hit grocery stores for beer like texans do? No clue man. Just passing on what I've been told and overheard on my end.
  31. crusian

Dissident, when I was there in 2010 when it came out, was extremely hard to come by. I chased down one bottle after pleading with a grocery store manager. I assume it was difficult this year as well, but cant speak to that. there was none of that around either.
  32. Cablejelly

That's odd because I think he found more of that. it was $14.99, I know I have a pic where it's sitting next to Abyss in the regular beer aisle. I know it was difficult in austin but that's because we got 33-35 cases for the greater austin area. Those numbers are directly from the rep. I just assumed, based on what he was running in to, it was just as plentiful as abyss in portland. I'm pretty sure there's still some in a couple of locations too though. People aren't searching for it as much as abyss I guess.
  33. Lutter

I'm willing to trade a bottle with you Houston or DFW peeps if you're coming to ATX.

I'm partial to barrel-aged beers from out of state. This beer is currently trading at 2.53BCBSU.
  34. Cablejelly

I say, since we both work nights, we just get together every morning and drink it all throughout the month :) I'll bring my stock too.
  35. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Heaven.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  36. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (445) Texas Dec 25, 2010

I spoke with the Deschutes sales rep here in TX and she has been hounded by people across the state (and me espcially) about the limited supply of Abyss. She won't answer me as to why ATX and Dallas got Dissident and not Houston. Lucklily I've come across 2 bottles of Abyss, although one of those did have to come from family in San Diego. But this is kind of what the beer scene is like these days. There are more of us wanting the good stuff and not enough good stuff to go around. Granted, Deschutes did produce less this year than in years past. Thankfully some of us have regular trading partners who keep us in mind when something we like hits their shelves. I find that hunting for some of this stuff is frustratingly fun. I've missed a few that I wanted, but that doesn't stop me from keeping an eye out.

Nostrovya
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  37. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Which is a valid point, too. It's kinda like the "two senators from each state" issue, but with something important (beer).
  38. crusian

forgot san antonio...
  39. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Looks like a couple of the HEB's in the Austin area I saw it at.
    Could have bought 2 cases if I was that kind of person and had an endless beer budget. I think HEB throwing their hat in the ring really contributed to lesser numbers around the state. There was no limit...no control over their inventory of their product. They treat a special release like they treat a bomber of SNPA...just throw it on the shelf. Central Markets ok...I can see limited, seasonal releases like the Abyss in that model...but HEB's in suburbia...I don't know.
  40. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

It's up to people to self limit as well.