1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Yeah, no bottle limits for sure. I'd prefer bottle limits personally, but that didn't keep me from taking some advantage when I stumbled across a case on the shelf in a suburban HEB. I told the beer guy that he needed to have bottle limits on this kind of thing, but I don't think he cared. And this is the most passionate beer guy we've had there yet.

2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Everyone forgets San Antonio.

BeanBone likes this.
  3. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Were you able to even type that with a straight face?

UHCougar12 likes this.
  4. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Running on little sleep right now. Foggy in the head and surprisingly....a little smirk.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  5. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Yea I'm torn...on one hand the fact that it was just hanging out on a shelf at my neighborhood HEB enabled me to grab enough for multiple trades and multiple bottles to cellar. I did the "1 bottle limit" dance the first day it hit and got 1 bottle at 6 different places then the next day stumbled upon a couple cases at HEB. I only grabbed a couple more because that's all I needed or could afford but I could see someone who struck out stumbling upon that and filling up their shopping cart. And yes it is up to people to ration themselves but come on...let's be realistic. If somebody wants 8 bottles and they find 8 at HEB with no limit...pretty sure they're going to be gone.

6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

There are two types of beer knurds in Texas: Those who are looking for Abyss and those who realize it really wasn't quite worth all the effort.

I am of the second type. I ended up with a couple of bottles. Did a little verticle last night with a 2010 (I have a few of these) and the 1012. Both are good, but it's simply NOT spectacular. There are just too many beers as good and better that are easier to come by. For those who haven't manged to get a bottle - feel free to use the "sour grapes" defense mechanism.

lonestarbev, jbeezification and Ford like this.
  7. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

just going by statistics you are wrong.
    4 of the top 40 are available in TX. Abyss is 11, rocheforts 10 is 15, St. B 12 is 27, sculpin is 37.

on a personal level, I agree with you.

8. icetrauma

"Sour Grapes", is that a new DFH release? :D

BeanBone, Lutter and jaymesbawned like this.
  9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

That's that ask price... My bid price ratio is 7:3 :)

Lutter likes this.
  10. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I think the hype and limited availability create a gravity towards the high ratings that keep The Abyss propped up there at number 11. When I read the reviews of people swooning over it, I really have to question whether there is some cause of diminished capacity. It's like they are honored to get the opportunity to rate it so "better give it a good one". Granted there are the occasional "WTF is the big deal" reviews too.

I travel quite a bit and am not limited to the Texas selections, but I admit that I am a victim of the hype when it comes to seeking out limited releases. Truth be told, if it wasn't rare, I'd probably only buy a few Abyss a year even at a cheaper price - I'd usually choose one of the Yeti's over Abyss. If I ever heard that Yeti was soon to be as rare as Abyss, I would probably break out in a cold sweat. And now we have Victory at Sea in Texas, which I beleive is actually Baltic Porter (lager), but it's a rich, dark incredibly flavorfull beer and easily as good as The Abyss. Yeah, I know, that's just an opinion, but it's damn close to an overt fact too.

11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

So is Abyss gonna hit San Antonio or is it gonna be snubbed like the Black Butte XXIV release?

12. mhenson42

Gabriel's and Specs DeZavala each got a case last Friday. I think more was gonna hit town this week

starkmarvelo likes this.
  13. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

Managed to find one more bottle of Abyss today, plus found a few other items today. :)

[​IMG]

blatherbeard likes this.
  14. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Better go back in time and drink that Enjoy By..... o_O

15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The 2.15.13 I had last week was divine.

16. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

12/21/12 the Barleywine edition hahaha :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you still managed to find some Abyss

17. mmireles

The HEB on Dunlavy in Houston just got theirs....

18. crusian

I saw an old enjoy by this week too. passed. just had the feb edition a few weeks ago, it was yummy.

19. HopAG

OH SNAP

you better hide that location man! Before the lurkers get to it!

20. mmireles

lol... i *think* you have to be on the list, and it's a one bottle limit. ;)

21. HopAG

Good that should prevent those krogerlists hoarders!

I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS! COCKSUCKERS! :rolleyes:

22. mmireles

eh, i don't know if there's a list... i went by there last week and she told me to leave my name/number and she'd call me when it came in (which was 11AM this morning).

23. icetrauma

Where did you find Abyss?

24. HopAG

Read the thread... :rolleyes:

25. icetrauma

You can't make me! :cool:

26. Lutter

Haven't received 1 trade offer. You cats obviously don't want it that bad.

C'mon, it's only trading at 0.2KHUs. ;)

27. mhenson42

My 7 BCBS for 3 Abyss was an offer ;)

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Shiit if I wouldn't pound those BCBS I would take you up on that ;)

29. crusian

Damn, that's a good offer.

30. H0rnedFr0gs

Offer up some that Ananke and you can take every bottle of Abyss I own. :)

31. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I had Ananke once. If I had any you could have it. I think Abyss is waaaay better.

puddledynamics likes this.
  32. mhenson42

I'm all out....waiting for the next batch. I wish kept more for me. I had alot of repeat trades on that one. I think I shipped almost 8 cases of that beer (reg & rasp) this year.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  33. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Last year I couldnt trade 2 Abyss for 4 BCBS. Now you could get that done in IP trade! Crazy how things shift.

jbeezification likes this.
  34. icetrauma

With BCBS going yearly and its eventual arrival in Tx., trade value is dropping. JMO.

35. mhenson42

Basically, BCBS a much better beer IMO, but it's a function of me have alot of it and not as much Abyss as I want.

36. Lutter

I traded a Das Uberkind for 3 BCBS last week. Also JK sours trade $4$ on BCBCS right now.

Just gotta find the right trader.

The biggest problem is getting large quantities at once.

As for the 7:3 trade...after another trade I have setup for my 4th bottle, I'd have no Abyss. I would do 2:1 though or 1:1 for a BCBCS. Take trades to BM though ;)

37. Lutter

From what traders tell me, last year there was a lot less BCBS. Outside of Chicago, people are still buying it off the shelf (3 months later!)

Not gonna pretend to be a BCBS expert though. I resisted trading it for quite a while. Just on a bourbon barrel aged kick now.

38. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (265) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Gotta start doing this. I didn't know JK sours were trading well.

39. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

RU-55, Funk and Boxer's killing it right now....I've seen my cellar grow by at least 20 bottles in the past month with trades all prefaced by Jester King sours

40. H0rnedFr0gs

That Rasp is so sweet right now. If they tap that again I might be forced to drive down and pull an all day event by myself.