Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

1. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (585) Texas Apr 26, 2007

The Abyss should start hitting SATX either today or sometime next week, along with Perfect Crime and Lagunitas Sucks.

bccocx likes this.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (770) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Any word on DFW???

3. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I was told between today and Monday most places in DFW.

frogfan and Krumb like this.
  4. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (400) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Sightings in Austin since its supposedly here as per the previous comment?

5. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (355) Texas Dec 18, 2011

Called most of the stores around the Cedar Park/4 Points area and got a whole lot of "I have no idea what you are talking about", or "All the good craft beer gets sucked up by the more central Austin locations". I'm guessing I'll have to make a trip a little more central to find any.

6. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I know it's not super close but the Bee Caves HEB/Specs/Twin Liquors usually get good stuff. The HEB got several cases of Abyss the last 2 years, not sure what they will get this year.

7. Went by Central Market Westgate during lunch and they didn't have any yet. I'll check again after work.

8. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (355) Texas Dec 18, 2011

Thanks... It's a pretty good drive out there, but near-ish to my work. I might check it out this weekend (or after work Monday).

9. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Savant (280) Texas Apr 12, 2012

You needn't bother.

I apologize but I was given some bad information yesterday. Now it looks like it won't hit stores until next week, most likely Friday at the soonest. Was told Capital's allocation for Austin was just 30 cases.

Good luck and happy hunting.

10. Stoneman22

Stoneman22 Disciple (60) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Called today, both Specs locations in SATX haven't received the Abyss yet.

11. kenihrig

kenihrig Zealot (85) Texas Apr 19, 2008

I checked three beer stores in Richardson and Plano today and didn't find it. One store owner thought it would be in sometime next week. No one else had any idea. Anyone find it in DFW yet?

12. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

This is all a farce. There is no Abyss in Texas. Only myths and legends of the past. :cool:

soultrain19 and obrike like this.
  13. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

2012 maybe... ;)

icetrauma likes this.
  14. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Lagunitas Sucks six pack on my agenda tomorrow...Abyss on the horizon next week. Looks like a great start to 2013.

15. icetrauma

If you're in Houston then Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter on Monday!

16. Abyss is not expected to hit ATX for another 2 weeks ( coming from a very reliable source) and incase if it shows up before that then count on me to tweet about it with the pic of the Bottle...

17. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Quit reminding me and making me feel bad....ha ;) :oops: (stupid work)

18. icetrauma

I'm more worried about my stupid wallet. LOL Luckily the HEB by me puts it out slowly and not all at once.

19. Ford

My HEB that gets it will probably only get one or two cases.. and they'll have a one bottle limit.

20. icetrauma

I don't think mine knows any better. Also, there is still plenty of Yule on the shelves.

21. Ford

ah.. mine has an actual beer/wine lady that stays on top of things and controls the special releases... which... has been good for me... as I've been able to get off at 3 and still grab a bottle of Bodacious/Frageelay as she imposed a 1 bottle limit. The limit also helped me grab some DR12 which I'm still aging.... and I didn't get there until 4pm on release day.

She did let me buy two bottles of Pumpkinator when I gave her the sad face and showed her the pic of the Katy area HEB with about a zillion bottles out with no limit.. (at least for a little while)

22. icetrauma

I scored 6 Pumpkinators at the Katy store when the 1st case was put on the floor. Also scored a Funk Metal last week as well.

23. StuporJew

StuporJew Aficionado (145) Texas Nov 21, 2012

Sorry to burst the collective bubble, Abyss friends...
    Long story short, the label was not approved by the TABC in time for delivery to distributors in Texas...
    We aren't going to see it this year. :mad: Can we say "Beer Trader", People?
    But hey, cheer up, we have Rahr Iron Thistle (2-year Gold/Silver Winner for best Scottish ale at GABF) and more Dogfish 120 to look forward to this year! Much love from Texas...

24. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Careful what you post man...I for one think this is false information. After the Black Butte issue in Texas last year I don't think Deschutes would let this happen. Why not just hold the delivery until approval is given?

willandperry likes this.
  25. Krumb

Krumb Savant (300) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Not true. Reliable source (aka distributor source) says week of 28th. It's here...we're getting it.

lokieman likes this.
  26. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (750) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Didn't want to add to the rumor mill but about a week ago I "heard" the 28th as well from a distributor source.

lokieman and Krumb like this.
  27. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Let the disinformation begin!

No way they let the Abyss slip from us, it would be bad juju for them in the opinion of many beer lovers in Texas.

28. icetrauma

Is this disinformation from a reliable or unreliable source? I don't like getting disinformation from on unreliable source who can't be relied upon to give a reliable disinformation.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  29. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (425) Texas Dec 15, 2010

I asked my "Magic 8 Ball" if this post was true and it said... "My Sources Say NO". Oh, the irony!

BruceBruce likes this.
  30. mattisloco

Now we know where he got the name Stupor.

It's here, sitting and waiting. There's some sort issue but it actually isn't the TABC this time.

31. Jester King burned down. And Dissident is infected.

32. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I LOL'd

BruceBruce and drummermattie02 like this.
  33. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Advocate (550) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Whole foods in atx got dissident and said abyss is still coming. If dissident finally hit there I believe the "beer goddess" at whole foods that abyss isn't far behind.

34. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Which Whole Foods? Called N. Lamar and Arbor Trails yesterday and neither said they had it.

35. gtermi

gtermi Champion (770) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I talked to somebody from Ben E Keith and they said Abyss will be hitting this week, but the guy is sometimes wrong. Has anybody heard this too?

36. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Kings reported that it may be on the truck tommorow. At least now stores are getting the option

gtermi likes this.
  37. mattisloco

Tarrant/Denton should be getting it 1st in DFW, so this sounds legit.

38. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

How's that?

39. mattisloco

I can't explain it because I don't get it. The last 2 years this is how it was and for whatever reason they are doing it again.

I can't speak for other areas but I was told Specs in the DFW area's were not receiving Abyss. They also did not sell Dissident. Anyone know what the hell is going on with Specs and Deschutes releases up here?

40. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Same happened to me at Specs in SA. They told me that Black Butte wasn't coming to Texas. This was after I bought a bottle at the Whip In 2 days prior.

I don't get it either. I remember them having a SHIT ton of Stoic when that was out last.