1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MykelJH, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Anyone seen it in the Bay Area or sac?

2. Or in SoCal? :)

3. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

It was just released at Deschutes yesterday...if every other Deschutes limited release is any indication, it will be a couple weeks before it hits CA.

4. AndresR

AndresR Savant (255) California Jul 19, 2009

It usually flows in steady around Dec 10ish, till Xmas, but in small quantities to SoCal I've noticed. But, It'll get here.

5. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

Does it ever show up on tap in the Bay Area?

6. MykelJH

I think some places already have it. It should be here soon

7. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Yep...and sometimes the most unlikely of places.

Had it on tap last year at The Englander is San Leandro.

Pinche_Oso likes this.
  8. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

It also shows up at very Deschutes beer week event.

9. The BevMo girl said they had them when I picked up the Dissident from the BevMo in San Luis on the central coast

10. I looked around this weekend, haven't found it yet. Anyone have any luck in the Bay Area?

11. MykelJH

I have been calling around and nothing yet. I'd imagine this week but with thanksgiving I don't know if shipments will come early or later?

12. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Zealot (90) California Sep 9, 2012

Supposed to hit Greater LA next week.

13. Deschutes twitter account said it would be in the East Bay next week after Thanksgiving.

14. Any sightings in the LA/South Bay area yet?

15. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I've been to the livermore and the fremont bevmo's today. No abyss or dissident, conflux No. 1 was there, but f that $11.50 price tag for a 12 oz.

16. Conflux No 1 is so good. Also, somehow, Abyss hit Chico.

17. hophead247

Dissident is long gone in the Livermore/Pleasanton area...

18. Chris_Cali_2o9

I wanted to buy it, but it's really pricey so i let the beeradvocate rating decide for me, i think it only got a 89.

Edit: Nevermind, it got a 92, i was just being cheap. Lol

19. bob916

bob916 Disciple (65) California Jan 31, 2011

20. Still haven't come across this yet. The bottle stores near me still don't know when its coming in.

21. hophead247

Not sure where in the Bay you are, but I grabbed a few today at the Pleasanton BevMo.

22. Just placed an order at my BevMo but will confirm which one once I pick them up...their inventory system has screwed me more than once. $12.99 a bottle!

23. If last year is any guide, Beer Rev in Oakland and Ol (can't make my phone do the Swedish Chef thing with the O) in Walnut Creek ought to be getting some eventually. I've been consistently underwhelmed by last year's iteration, though, so I'll probably pass this go-around. Waaaay too much other beer to be bought these days.

24. Chris_Cali_2o9

of course, during my trip to the bay yesterday, i went to the livermore bevmo, skipped pleasanton, went to the freemont one... Abyss has been on my want list for years, i gotta try it!

25. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

The Bevmo in Mira Loma, CA also has some bottles.

26. When did you see this? About ready to drive down there right now

27. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

28. I just rang them, and they said they didn't have it in yet =\

29. MykelJH

Ok so after calling a bunch of stores and failing I found 1 Bevmo in Folsom that has 1 bottle left. Guy said he would hold it for me but I can't justify driving 1.5 hours for A bottle. First person to message me that is in easy access to the store I I'll give the name it's under.

30. Probably sold out. They had 1 this morning when they opened. Luckily Livermore hasn't received theirs yet. Different distributor for the area. Should get it in Tuesday there if past shipments are any indicator.

belgianthings likes this.
  31. Pangaea in Sacramento is also sitting on a keg of the Abyss, not on yet and I think they are waiting for a special occasion.

32. MykelJH

Abyss on Tap @ the Grad in Davis!

33. I think you can pretty much find anything at Bobby's liquor. Pretty sure I saw abyss, old stock reserve, 16th, etc.

34. Berkeley, so Albany BevMo, Ledgers, Berkeley Bowls, and I work in the city. City Beer is on the way home so I stop there from time to time. I called on Wednesday and went to Ledgers. No place had it/knew when it would be in.

35. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

I was in there on Wednesday and seen 2010 and 2011, but no 2012 yet..

36. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (355) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Does anyone know when of if it should be making its way to Texas? More specifically, Houston?

37. If you see it on the BevMo website for a Nor Cal store, call to check first. I placed an order for four and received email confirmation that it was in...
    Only to find out that Abyss shares the same sku with BB Porter XVI. And as such, they didn't have it and weren't even sure if they would get any.
    Needless to say, I was pissed!

38. I know OC / SB / parts of LA are getting their shipments in this coming week. They will be going out to stores a few days after. Not too many cases coming down either (a little bit more than the Dissident)

39. Talked with the beer guy at Bevmo in Albany today. Said they have a different wholesaler than other Bevmos in the area which is why others have it and they don't. I'm sending an email to complain to Deschuttes as we speak.