1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Abyss Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MykelJH, Nov 16, 2012.

1. out at tw arden as of 11 AM yesterday.

2. I called Total Wine in Tustin and they said they sold out yesterday in under 20 minutes. Damn.

3. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Tw hb had them this morning 1pp.

4. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Was at Bottle Barn today. They haven't gotten it yet, and they have no idea when it's coming. They are getting some for sure, though. Zach assured me.

5. karink

karink Aficionado (145) California Nov 28, 2009

Got some!!! Bevmo in LB, no limit

6. Just checked bevmo manhattan beach, didn't see any

7. Scored one at The Beverage Warehouse in Culver City. They don't have it displayed, one per customer. They also have a case and a half of FW Anniversary sitting out.

8. Ok just got a bottle from beverage warehouse

9. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

This beer is becoming my own personal Moby Dick, how do I change my BA name to Ishmael? and why was it easier to get almost half a case of Dissident but not a single damn bottle of Abyss?

also, if you buy out an entire store of their entire allotment of Abyss in one visit you're an asshole.

azureoval likes this.
  10. Yes, Abyss can be hard to find. No, you're not an asshole if you buy all the Abyss you can find.

drgonzo2k2 likes this.
  11. drewone

drewone Advocate (740) California Sep 18, 2006

WF venice

AndresR likes this.
  12. jklinck

jklinck Savant (255) Washington Jul 23, 2007

Yes you are. How is someone preventing a dozen or so people from getting a highly sought after beer not being a douche? Greed isn't a good thing.

13. It seems like our keg "disappeared", but we will be selling a case of bottles. Most likely through a free raffle.

Our good friends at FW have blessed us with an opportunity to share XVI on draft that day. It's not a stout, but a worthy replacement:)

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  14. Bottle limits?

15. Kodi

Kodi Initiate (0) California Sep 14, 2012

Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City is tapping a keg on 12/20. San Jose location should probably get one too....

16. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

a certain store chain does not limit bottles of sought after limited release beers, and from what the manager told me since he's the one I asked the guy who got it was quite the asshole about it and demanded that he be sold the entire case even though it hadn't even gotten to the shelf.

17. Yeah, I know that store chain. The beer guys at our outpost of said store are very good at leaking out the bottles of said releases at a slow rate, and if asked for more they'll say "sorry - we're out". They also will get you a bottle if they've gotten it in but have yet to get it on the shelf. You can still hoard, but it requires going there on multiple occasions at random times in the day (so you don't get noticed), and getting a bottle at the time. Death by a thousand cuts...

18. I bought 4 because I like to age it and taste it as time goes by. Plus, I have a vertical going back to 2008, minus the infected 2009, so I want to be able to save one for at least a year. I didn't buy all 6 that were left at the my local shop, but I see no problem if someone else had beat me to the punch. Some people like to have the case to try one every three months for the next few years. If you don't like it, talk to your local store about setting limits. I think a one limit goes against what this beer is about because this beer was meant to be aged, and if you don't drink it fresh, how will you know how it has changed in a year?

19. Outbid curiosity, how much did they charge per bottle there?

20. Freudian autocorrectslip? ;)

21. Hahah! Must always proofread it seems ;)

22. KANE3

KANE3 Aficionado (190) California Jul 31, 2012

$12.99

23. I Shoulda gone there

24. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Had to go up to sac this weekend and was hoping to find a bottle of pliny and abyss. Got a pliny at Taylors Market (you gotta ask for it, 1 bottle limit) but no Abyss. Sucks, but i pulled in a pretty awesome haul this weekend including:

Pliny
    FW 16th
    Smoking Wood
    Rugbrod
    Sweet 16 (California Edition) Anyone know if this is somehow different then the usual sweet 16?
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Beer Geek Breakfast
    Sticky Zipper
    Alaskan Smoked Porter

So many new brews to try!

25. Gawd. Just when I'm gone in Boston :( Maybe I'll ask my room mate to check.

26. It's as good as gone. I think it went the day I snatched it up.
    Good thing I've got a Portland pipeline sending them to me as they find 'em. ;)
    I was at the Jug Shop on Pacific and I guy came in all gung-ho looking for Abyss and was so butt-hurt when they didn't have them. I laughed to myself thinking about my stash.

27. i didn't find abyss to be very impressive this year. i'm laughing to myself thinking about your stash, too.

28. To each their own.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  29. Personal preference I suppose. I'm glad you gave the heads up about Whole Foods. I'll certainty enjoy my 2.

30. Apparently Total Wine in Northridge got a case but they held it all back for their employees to buy.

31. davelag

davelag Aficionado (220) California May 22, 2010

They did the exact same thing last year in Brea.

32. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I've literally never found Abyss impressive unless it was at least a year old, so this doesn't mean much.

33. if the year were 2009 or 2011, i would wholeheartedly agree.

2007, 2008, 2010 = great fresh.

34. drgarage

2010 was way better aged, though. And why, if so many have turned out to age well, would you dismiss the possibility that 2012 will be similar?

35. you're right that 2012 could turn out well, and i am wrong to dismiss that out of hand. but i am not optimistic. the last abyss vintage that i felt aged well was 2008. 2010 was better fresh and i never really cared for 2011 (though it did improve after a year, it's still not great).

have you tried this year's yet? what are your thoughts?

36. got here in bakersfield ca

37. drgarage

I haven't yet. I've got three coming my way. I'll likely open one in the next week or so. Will share my thoughts then.

38. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Ugh, terrible. Man that blows.

39. Perry's Liquors in Livermore just got a case in. $20 a bottle.

40. Supply and demand I guess but eff that. I scored for $12.99 here in SF.