1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Abyss Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MykelJH, Nov 16, 2012.

1. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Member

As for Bay area vs SD area Costcos, aside from distributorship differences, the two regions operate largely independently from one another. Each region can make its own decision about what items to carry. (I know several people in sales who work directly with Costco)
  2. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Member

Paid like $22.00 for my FW 16th @ the turlock bevmo, picked up 2 (ouch!), zero Abyss in this area. I might have to take a road trip to the livermore/pleasanton area and see if i can find one. I've been wanting to try it for years.
  3. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

Pete's Liquor in Tracy. Got 2 for $15/piece. Only for regulars though. Went in, got some RR stuff for a trade and the dude walked out the back with 2 bottles for me. It wasnt on the shelf at all
  4. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

Saw some last night at Stouterday. So close, yet so far away!
  5. JohnPecod

JohnPecod Member

Bevmo in Santa Monica has around 3 cases on display. $14.99 per bottle.
    beronberon likes this.
  6. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

It was on the shelves at a local Safeway yesterday. It lasted less than 24 hours and was sold out - $16/bottle.
  7. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Member

I know that a safeway in san jose had over 50 bottles and was misspriced for 5.99 a bottle with club card. Luckily i have 9 bottles now.
    pinkgrenade and JustXBeer like this.
  8. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

Jesus, I would've bought an entire case for the price of 4 and some change. How I wish my Safeway made that mistake
  9. 12owls

12owls Member

some stores are choosing who to sell this too, at least thats what im noticing. make friends with your local beer and liquor stores ya never know.
  10. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Member

I thought 9 was enough. Hopefully some other people will get to enjoy the beer too.
  11. beronberon

beronberon Member

Thanks a lot for this info! Stopped by after work today and surprisingly there were still 2 full cases on display.. got my 2 bottles so I'm happy.
  12. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Member

Jug Shop on Polk and Pacific in SF just got a case today.
    1 bottle limit, $12.99 per
  13. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Member

If only everyone thought this way. To my suprise Dissident showed up in my area for the first time ever (or atleast in the 3-4 yrs i've been ISO of craft) Grabbed my 2 left the remaining 5. I know there's someone that's gonna walk in there and be just as suprised/excited to see it on the shelf as i was.
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  14. TheCrowsNest

TheCrowsNest Member

Whole Foods on 22nd in Santa Monica has PLENTY to go around. And Knuckle Sandwich.
  15. sloelco

sloelco Member

If anyone is planning on hitting the slopes in Mammoth then pop in to Mammoth Liquors. I picked up 3 bottles tonight. I asked if I should just take 2 and leave one for the next guy and was told the shop had received 6 cases.
    MykelJH likes this.
  16. larryCA

larryCA Member

Good to know sloelco!
  17. Psyko

Psyko Member

18. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Member

19. Psyko

Psyko Member

There are many better places for me, but for someone not on the West coast....
  20. Xul

Xul Member

If they don't sell the bottles, they'll just mark them up in a year, and eventually sell them to someone who's new to the hobby but wants aged beer. As much as BA complains about high prices and shitty policies of "Buy X other beers to get access to Beer Y," it obviously works since Freddy and other retailers who push the envelope are still in business.
  21. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Member

That beer has a wholesale cost of $10.Nice little margin over 50%. It's one thing to price it at $21 but then to require that many other purchases is asinine. I doubt them selling beers this way is keeping them in business. Must be spirits and wines that keep them moving.
  22. Xul

Xul Member

They're a corner liquor store, so craft beer isn't even their primary focus...perhaps that allows them to price more aggressively on limited releases, since it's not their primary revenue stream. I'm not privy to their books, so I couldn't tell you, but the model obviously works since there are stores who have been doing it for years and are still in business.

As long as craft beer continues to increase in popularity and more people seek out limited releases, stores like this won't have any incentive to lower their prices. The days of limited releases staying on the shelf at MSRP for more than 24 hours are pretty much gone. Yes, there are exceptions (BA Old Rasputin, for example), but demand has increased far more than supply over the past 3 - 5 years, and that doesn't bode well for the consumer.
  23. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Member

They were putting a case on the shelves at Whole Foods in Pasadena on Arroyo on Friday. 14.99 I think
  24. ORod

ORod Member

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up two bottles.
  25. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Must be Freddy's brother. Or Freddy's other store. I'm surprised it isn't called Quality Liquor 4 Less.
  26. larryCA

larryCA Member

Looks like it's starting to hit shelves at BevMo in the Bay Area.
  27. clubarsky91

clubarsky91 Member

Again? Are you sure?
  28. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

It didn't end up in a few East Bay/Central Valley BevMo's that I know of. Maybe they finally got their shipments? In any case, if they have some I might buy a few more. I have 2 and I haven't opened any, wouldn't mind having another 2-3 to have just to cellar and have
  29. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze Member

Would love any tips to score one or two bottles at a reasonable price here in San Diego.
  30. Xul

Xul Member

I'm sure a lot of people would, it seems like we get even less of it this year than last year, and it came and went quickly.
  31. henryspam

henryspam Member

dec 3 2012- talked to the new female beer stocker at Oakland wholefoods. She said deschutes hasn't bottled abyss yet. I thought she was on drugs...

Dec 5 2012 Took this picture at san ramon costco- $10.99
    [​IMG]
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  32. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Member

I've found it on tap at a few places. Hollister, Santa Cruz, and Big Sur.

My local, craft bar/take-home-beer-shop, will have this on tap also.

[​IMG]
  33. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

What is a reasonable price? I paid $21 recently in North County.
  34. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Member

usually its 15, 21 isnt outrageous

all the places i go to were out so fast ughhh
  35. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

This place tends to raise prices as the beer sells out. I have 3 bottles in my cellar of a limited collaboration beer that have 3 different prices on them from the same shop.
  36. SHODriver

SHODriver Member

did they start high and then start marking it down to get it off the shelves?
  37. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Member

If you're on the Central Coast, Chris Dunbar had some (not sure if he still does) at Dunbar in Santa Margarita. That's where I got mine for 20 bones.
  38. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

The opposite. They put some of the limited beers out at a reasonable price. If they sell quickly, they mark up another set by a few $ and see how that goes. By that time, BevMo and most of their competitors have sold out so they have a monopoly on the last few bottles.

Unfortunately for them, they tend to do this with other beers that aren't so limited and a lot of their beer sits on the shelf longer than it should.
  39. MajorMajorMajor

MajorMajorMajor Member

Randomly walked into a 7-11 in Reno on a ski trip last week and found an entire shelf of abyss for 12.99. Best 7-11 experience ever!
  40. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze Member

That's at the upper end of my limit for reasonable pricing, but not outrageous. I guess if I can't get it for cheaper than that, it's better than nothing.