1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

AC Golden Ctayt

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Domingo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,030) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

All discussion on craft/crafty aside, anyone try this? It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but it's full-on wonderful. Cracked one last night and it's on par with the best examples of the style. Troy brought some Leopolds variants to the Crooked Stave bottle share, but I'd say the normal retail one (using Stranahan's) is the best of the bunch. Hadn't seen any postings about this, but it's well worth grabbing if you see it.

2. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't get myself to fork over $25 for it.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  3. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Is this the same as the one they were pouring at Star Bar last year? That was tasty.

4. It was okay, not very complex, high amount of that soy sauce character. It's hard for me to judge barrel aged stouts anymore after being able to get Parabola for way less.

ArrogantB likes this.
  5. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (445) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

This was a great tasting beer. There's others I would rank higher, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying this one.
    The $23-ish price tag will keep me to the one purchase for myself (but I did grab one for a friend).
    I hate giving the big boys credit, but taste is what talks, and they did good on this one.

6. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Got one over Christmas. Decent, but nothing to warrant the price tag. Thought it was a little thin for my taste, and a bit one dimentional.

imperialbeerdude likes this.
  7. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I must have had the same one as Domingo because I thought it was fantastic. One of the best barrel aged Impy stouts I have ever had. It was thick with a creamy mouthfeel. Much like FW BA beers the barrel added to te beer without over powering it. It just may be my favorite BA stout evah.

Anyone know if this is collecting dust on a shelf? I'd love to get a couple more.

8. denver10

Wilbur's in Fort Collins had it on the shelves yesterday, FWIW. I'd imagine that's more of a trek than you plan on making though.

9. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Yea was hoping for greater Denver area

10. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (445) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Wallabys and Lukas had them on the shelf as of late last week, Wallabys was a $1 or 2 cheaper

11. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I got to try some and thought it was great. Very competitive with top craft beers in the same style. No flaws, great body and barrel character. At that point, it comes down to personal preference.

12. It was sitting on the shelf at Grape Vine wine and spirits. I think for $23

13. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,075) Colorado May 19, 2005

Almost bought some at Mile High, but couldn't drop 25 bones on it

14. Domingo

I'd say it might be worth it. I've had a couple versions: the Leopold's one Troy had at Crooked Stave, and another that was on tap at the Rackhouse last summer. Both were good, but not as good as the bottle from last night.
    This one reminded me a lot of Liquid Brain and Parabola, which are my two faves of the style. My wife ended up buying this bottle even though I scoffed at the price. After drinking it, I was glad she did and will probably end up hunting down more.

15. I think I might not be alone in saying that I dismissed this one when I saw the brewery. Perhaps I should try to find a bottle. Thanks for the recommendation.

16. Ctayt was nowhere near as complex as Parabola.

17. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

Well then, I'll wait 4 months and buy 10 of those.

18. Stores around me still have them mwuhahahahaha

19. I haven't opened mine but I believe it was $21.99 at Grapevine; if not, it was $22.99 as somebody above said, but definitely no more. So in line with the $23-ish estimates and maybe a buck less, and definitely not in the $25 range.

Grapevine is a good place to go for things like this btw.

20. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

people h9 on AC Golden?

21. dachp

dachp Aficionado (215) Colorado Apr 17, 2010

I really loved the shit out of this beer. Price was steep but worth it to try it at least once. Might have to buy another to age.

22. Andwoo

Andwoo Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 21, 2010

I'm honestly pretty stoked to try this. Coors is getting pretty good at infiltrating the beer nerd world. My only issue with this, especially with this stout, is the price. The PTR (price to retail) on that stout was about $205 for the case. That's $17/bottle to the account. Add a 25-30% margin on that and you're at $23/$24. Now, that's fine if it's justified at the brewery and market level. But at the brewery level, it is not justified. Coors has access to some of the best buying power in the entire industry (raw materials, equipment, etc.). Keep in mind, this company had net sales of $1.75 Billion in 2012. At a market level, it's kinda justified. But you'll have a helluva time finding many $24 Imp Stouts. My point is, I just get a weird feeling from all this. I'm worried that we, the beer lover, are getting duped. I'm worried that the big guys at Coors who oversee this AC Golden division are laughing behind closed doors. Laughing that we're falling for this marketing ploy of a craft brewery. Laughing that we're willing to buy a $24 stout that we've never heard of. Laughing that they're able to play in our sandbox. Just in general taking advantage of our overall interest and support of good beer. I don't know. Just feels weird. Sorry, had to vent there for a bit.

LoganStegman and beatenbyjacks like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Now I'm not so excited to drink the one I've got sitting around... :oops:

24. Mebuzzard

I share your concerns. One (of several, I'm sure) thing that differentiates AC Golden beers from Coors' is the price on the shelf. They are polar opposites. Now, Coors knows marketing. They know that people (in general) associate higher prices with superior quality; as is obvious in the wine industry. I wonder if the price of this stout reflects the cost to produce it. Or if the price reflects an attempt to inflate the perceived quality. I won't buy it (but will try it ;) )
    Yet, I also buy very few beers with the $25 price tag.

25. Andwoo

Haha sorry for the Debbie Downer comment. Don't let me bring you down. It's just beer.

26. Andwoo

Right. Honestly doubt it costs them much to produce. Their sour stuff on the other hand? That takes time and attention. And that costs money. It IS great, though, that they're letting their brewer do whatever he wants. You won't find that at AB/Inbev. And "AC Golden's" head brewer is super legit. Actually had a chat with our (New Belgium) brewmaster and he had nothing but great things to say about him. So, they've got that going for them. It's just the suits in the office that I worry about.

27. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Except, the Apricot, Peche, Kriek, Ctayt have all been $24-$25. I know they are all barrel-aged beers, but I don't think they're relative to cost to make.

Andwoo likes this.
  28. Mebuzzard

No, they just buy craft breweries :rolleyes:

And, yeah, ACG brewers are really good. Kind of a sweet gig for them

29. Andwoo

Ohhhhh slam! ha!

30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

By the time we crack the bottle I will either be
    1) too excited to try a new stout to care or
    2)too drunk from drinking other stouts to care.
    So don't feel too bad about it.

31. denver10

Jokes on them.I would think most people are willing to fork over $25 for something new. But repeat purchase? I doubt it when there are GREAT other options (Parabola, Big Bad Baptist, Uncle Jacobs Stout, maybe Bourbon County next year?, etc.) available at half the cost.

tylerzombie and Andwoo like this.
  32. Prospero

I'm not familiar with repeat beers from AC Golden yet aside from Colorado Native. All their Hidden Barrel Series have been one-offs I thought.

denver10 likes this.
  33. It's a catch 22 I guess. At one end, I don't want THE MAN getting even more of our money (especially after convincing generations that drinking their pee-water lagers was the cool thing to do), but at the other spectrum, I just want good beer.

Good beer shouldn't be discriminated. But I understand the hesitation to support the backers of the project. I got two bottles of Ctayt just based on word of mouth of people I respect in beer knowledge, who have tasted it and heaped big-time praise of it, in addition to praise of the folks actually making it.

If I think its weak, I won't buy later versions of it. I agree the price point is higher than I'd like. Unless its one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had, I probably won't ever get another bottle. But I'm curious at this point.

SalukiAlum and Andwoo like this.
  34. narayan

narayan Aficionado (180) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Picked up two bottles as well. One for myself, the other for a friend.

Looking forward to tasting it.

35. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Good beer is one thing but it irks me that they set the price so high and people just buy it anyway. AC Golden has priced their sours higher than Cantillon which is a much smaller brewery and is located across the fucking ocean for God's sake. I won't compare the quality because I won't buy an AC Golden beer but I'd guess they would fall short in comparison. This stout is priced at least $7 more than Firestone Walker Parabola which is just crazy. I'd be interested to hear knucks999's input on their pricing strategy. Do they really feel like these beers are in the upper echelon with brewers like Cantillon, Russian River, and Firestone Walker or do they just know that craft beer geeks are stupid and care more about the latest and greatest than actual value or quality. I suspect it's the latter. I guess it just bothers me that we have so many fly-by-night brands who price their beers the same as breweries who are among the very best. The small brewery/startup argument certainly doesn't apply here.

mentor and Andwoo like this.
  36. Andwoo

Amen! Well said, brotha!

37. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

Tried it last night...the beer tastes very good IMO. One dimensional? Maybe, but a damn fine dimension. Hints of profit margin on the nose.

alexipa, robwater, ucsbmullet and 3 others like this.
  38. Domingo

I ended up grabbing another bottle as I had a $25 credit at Chambers. Better than those other guys? Not necessarily. Overpriced? Probably. It's still on the shelf and easy to get, though. I was told that more of your money goes straight to the few guys working at AC than you might think.

39. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (260) Colorado Sep 17, 2010

For what it's worth, at a small tasting a while back we had Fou Foune and AC Golden Apricot side by side and while it was not as good it was not as much of a gap as I expected.

I haven't bought any of the AC Golden beers, mainly because I haven't had the opportunity, but if/when I do I don't know if I would at that price

coreymcafee and gueuzer like this.
  40. Prospero

Well keep in mind these are extremely small batches, only half of the sour batches have been bottled and only 14-18 cases IIRC, we're talking <200 bottle count, the rest kegged and served at Rackhouse, festivals, or competitions I presume.

b0rderman likes this.