1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AC Golden Hidden Barrel Apricot Batch 2

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by guyforget, Apr 14, 2013.

1. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

Cracked one tonight. Dead flat. Bile sour, probably in part due to the no carbonation...

Anyone else cracked a batch 2 yet? Shit was nasty...

Was a fan of Batch 1 and excited to see more widespread distribution, but this bottle (201) was an absolute fail.
  2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

Saw it on the shelf at Chambers. Still can't fork over $22 for it
    hopfacebrew and denver10 like this.
  3. That's disheartening news. :(
  4. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

That's a deal. Stuff's $24.99 in Fort Collins. Haven't touched that either and definitely wont upon this update.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

If it's that far off, you might contact AC Golden and tell them about it.
  6. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

I would never buy it, not because of the price, but because it's clear that they don't know how to cage and cork a bottle. Virtually every cage is tied down wrong (the knot is loose and above the bottom lip of the bottle), and a lot of the corks are pushing out at an angle. I'm surprised that yours was flat, because most of the bottles I've seen look like they're about to blow their top.
  7. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

But....but...it's the Fou' Foune of the Rockies.
  8. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

The three bottles I have had have been great. I sent a couple out to friends out of state who liked it also. I didn't have any carb issues and while it is very sour I could still taste the apricot. All of mine were bought at Mr Bs and Lukas. I have one left I bought in Vail, hope it isn't like the OP's.
  9. denver10

Even if it was $22 I still wouldn't be buying it, so I can't see myself bothering.

I would guess the higher price is because there is less availability up here in Fort Collins, so us consumers don't have the choice of shopping elsewhere for it. As far I know, Wilburs is the sole store getting these AC Golden barrel aged stuff.
  10. guyforget

not concerned w/ the price. i dont have a problem buying expensive beer.

but yeah, what im getting at is that i might try to return it if its a one-off problem. bottle 201. only bottle from this batch that ive purchased and it had ZERO carbonation.

yeah. gonna start w/ the retailer, where im a regular. just wanted to see if it was a fluke or the whole batch before i go back.
  11. Domingo

I meant the quality - as they probably can't really do much about the price. Regardless of what you think of their parent company or even AC themselves, I have to think that QC is a pretty big deal to them.
    I got a flat La Folie back in the corked/caged days and New Belgium was all over it - wanting to know where I got it, the batch number, etc. They replaced it and gave me some other goodies for letting them know. I'd imagine AC Golden would do the same.

I've got one from last year and one from this year I hope to do a comparison on in a few weeks.
    joshclauss likes this.
  12. denver10

Gotcha.
  13. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I've had four bottles and they were all spot-on and what I expected. I've sent about 10 out of town as well and haven't heard any bad news, though I'm not sure if my trade partners have opened them or not.

I have seen a few bottles that had cages that seemed to be a little cockeyed and accidentally purchased one, but it didn't bother me too much as it was for drinking rather than cellaring.

I would think that the folks over at AC Golden would figure out something to make it right for the OP.
    TheBandit1 and joshclauss like this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I picked one up that was flat too. I poured hard into my glass and didn't get any head, nothing in the mouthfeel either. I thought for this price I could have done so much more and just chalked it up to not being able to taste the hype.
  15. guyforget

based on the one i had last year from batch 1, this bottle 201 from batch 2 was WAY off. its definitely not intended to be that way.
  16. Domingo

Batch 1 was terrific...hence many of us getting batch 2. I'm pretty sure if it's flat or off, AC Golden wasn't intending it. For $22, I'd call 'em up.
  17. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

As for the "bile" issue, if it's anything like the butyric qualities that Crooked Stave's Pure Guava saw when it first came out, time will do wonders and the yeast and bugs might very well just ingest it and spit out something neutral. Also, drinking at higher temperature will also mitigate it. Anyway, if you have a bottle and you're worried after this post, maybe just sit on it an extra few months.
  18. guyforget

i think being properly carb'd would also mitigate this flavor. theres no bubbles to cut through the sour and cleanse the palate so a few seconds after the taste the sour is still festering on your tongue.. i dont recall any bad or off notes in batch 1.
  19. guyforget

went ahead and bought another bottle tonight, #208 from the same case. had a totally different experience. bottle 201 was definitely f'd, but a quick email to the AC Golden folks seems to have a make-up package on the way in the near future. Love good customer service, some brewers just ignore you (lost abbey, cough, cough).
    gklover1 and coreymcafee like this.
  20. coreymcafee

Glad to hear your issue was addressed. Surprising that the two bottles that close in number were that different...
  21. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Corey, do you know if they're hand-bottling?
  22. coreymcafee

I don't think so but I'll try to find out.
  23. guyforget

Corey - my assumption is that the issue was w/ the cork/corking process, but it could be attributed to the bottle conditioning if maybe this bottle didnt get enough starter or whatever, who knows?

Gonna be totally honest - still didnt love the beer. Compared to some of the other sours Ive had lately - Burgandy Origins, Sour in the Rye, new batch of Supplication on shelves.... some beers are great, some beers are good... this one's only good at this point in time but we all know how these sour brett beers can change on a whim, could be excellent in 2 months, who knows? I'll be sitting on one to find out.

And just to restate - Customer Service @ AC Golden has been top notch and it looks like I'll be having face to face interaction w/ a couple of their folks in the near future - most of the time I wouldnt even expect a reply to my email much less the lengths that theyve gone to to make sure that everyone's happy. Will report back after said interactions go down just to confirm the positive outcome.
    coreymcafee likes this.