1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ACBF 2014 - Suggestions for Places to Eat

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by MSL94, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSL94

MSL94 Savant (310) New Jersey Mar 12, 2008

I am attending the Saturday afternoon session and looking for someplace to grab a quick bite afterwards. Some of the places I've attended in the past include: Whiskey Priest, Kildare's, and Boston Beer Works. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I look forward to any feedback!

Matt
  2. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Depends on what you are looking for ... the usual ho-hum pub grub or something good. ;-)

Row 34 if you can get in. Tavern Road is great from what I have heard. Legal Seafood is always good. Don't go to No Name or Union Oyster House.

Durgin Park in Faneuil Hall Marketplace if you are looking for something Boston touristy-like.
    konabrewer likes this.
  3. MSL94

MSL94 Savant (310) New Jersey Mar 12, 2008

Thanks Jason, I would interested in the usual bar food or something with a Boston twist. This will be the 6th ACBF I attend and really enjoy the crowd, the beer, and the area.
  4. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (360) New York Sep 18, 2005

curious, what are the issues wi
    Curious, what are the issues with No-Name and UOH ?
  5. Take a stroll over to Cambridge and hit up Oleana. Best hidden gem in the greater Boston area. James Beard award winning chef Anna Sortun cooks middle eastern inspired cuisine using fresh organic produce from her husband's local farm. Best part is, you don't pay gourmet prices, but the food is definitely gourmet. You will pay less and get better food than at any other place mentioned in this thread and you can probably get a table.
    BlakMajik and Aaron58 like this.
  6. If you want to stay close to the convention center, I second row 34. Also heard good things about Blue Dragon, but I haven't been myself. Word has it, the fried chicken is to die for.
  7. don't forget about the Publick House and the Abbey both in washington square off of the C line. and the incredible Lord Hobo in cambridge.
  8. Jason

No Name - garbage beer list, too many health code violations over the years, know too many people getting sick after eating there, they can't properly broil their seafood to save their lives, the staff are horrible, etc. ... They simply give New England seafood a bad rap.

UOH - Way over priced, garbage beer list, too many health code violations over the years, know too many people getting sick after eating there, etc ... basically a tourist trap.

I would never recommended either to locals or visitors. There are MUCH better seafood places in the Boston area, some even have pretty good if not excellent beer selections.
    konabrewer likes this.
  9. Alden and Harlow is a great new restaurant in Harvard Square.
  10. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I've been going to Chinatown after most beerfests for several years now. Always good food there, and works well to soak up alcohol. Speaking for myself, I am almost never in the mood for more beer after leaving one of these fests.
  11. jslot38

jslot38 Savant (335) Massachusetts Apr 18, 2005

If you are looking for places to go right around the fest, I'd recommend heading over to the Fort Point neighborhood. Blue Dragon (A Street), Tavern Road (if in the area early on Friday highly recommend the TR street foods til 3pm), and Pastoral (new Italian spot with a craft beer list), both on Congress St., are all good choices.

Row 34, don't need to say much more, just expect it to be packed (service is great so they manage it, but it's tricky to get a seat). Best time to go would be Friday afternoon, or Saturday right at open. Beer list is stellar.

For quick eats, Farnsworth street has Flour and Bee's Knees. Both have great sandwiches. There is also a Barrington coffee on Congress Street if you need a caffeine hit. Lucky's is a good spot if you are looking for a more laid back bar atmosphere during the day / evening. Have also heard good stuff about Gather but haven't been over there yet.

Out of Fort Point, but down by the CC and Harpoon is Yankee Lobster if you are looking for a seafood counter and seats outside. Fairly small joint, but great seafood.

Lastly, you are really not that far from Downtown - Merchant, Stoddard's, JM Curley's, etc...
  12. I'm not sure if this is based solely on food or also a great beer selection. I've always loved the Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston to satisfy both those needs. The Publick House in Brookline, Bell & Hand near City Hall, Barney Fannings is a great spot with good food in the Financial District (Broad Street). If you're feeling some Asian, Pho Pasteur in Chinatown is delicious, Five Napkins has a crafty burger selection to offset the beer consumption...I'm hungry
  13. Depends how far away from the venue you're willing to travel. If you're willing to go a little further away from South Sattion area, here are some of my favorite spots:

-Publick House in Brookline off the Green Line is one of my favorite's in Boston. Good Belgian selection and awesome food.
    -Lord Hobo in Cambridge. Little dark, but the beer selection is great, and their foods banging as well.
    -Bukowski's Tavern. Beer selection has gone down hill a little bit in recent months, but still overall a good place to grab a pint.
    -Lower Depths just outside Kenmore. Not as good as the places mentioned above, but they have a decent tap selection, and $2 dogs that are pretty tasty. They're tots aren't bad either.

If you want awesome food, I also recommend the Parish Cafe. Sandwiched dreamed up by the best chefs from Boston, all compiled onto one menu!
  14. csniezek and Jason like this.
  15. Jason

16. +1. As I live on the border of Southie, it's a definite go-to for me.
  17. If you want Italian, Cafe Poppeii on Hanover (North End) makes a good Bolognese.
  18. Cafe Pompeii is the worst Italian in the north end. Their food rivals the olive garden, but it is a little more generic and prepared with a little less love. The only reason to go there is it's 1:30 am and it's the only thing open. YMMV, but everyone I know considers cafe pompei to be the spot you hit when you're not quite drunk enough to stomach little stevie's
    BlakMajik likes this.
  19. An hour and a half stroll to Cambridge. That'll sober you up.
    BlakMajik and jefffalcone like this.
  20. by stroll, I really meant hop in a cab.
  21. Personally, I'm gonna take a trip to Chinatown after the fest and hit up Winsor Dim Sum Cafe. It's a little hole in the wall with cheap, excellent dim sum and the best crab rangoon I've ever had.
    JrGtr likes this.
  22. Mmmm... I like the Gourmet Dumpling House too!
    JrGtr likes this.
  23. Highland Kitchen in Somerville
  24. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

So you're that other drunk white guy we see there all the time after the fests> :)
    We've been going there for years after drinking. A stroll over (from the cyclorama was a perfect distance) then soup dumplings and beef with long horn peppers did a whole lot to soak up the alcohol.
    Today we have something going on afterwards, so we're hitting Chinatown for Dim Sum beforehand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.