1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ACBF 2014 - What Breweries Do You Want There?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by Jason, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Figured I'd start an early post for this as the dates are locked in already (May 30th-31st 2014).

http://www.beeradvocate.com/acbf/

What brewers do you want at the fest? Voice your picks here and feel free to send a note to them as well. I am sure there will be another 500+ breweries opening in the US by then ... we'll only have room for 140 again.

2. While it was awesome to try the hard to get brews from Night Shift and Lawson's, I'd like to see other 'limited distribution' breweries such as Surly, New Glarus and Pipeworks make an appearance. It's getting expensive having to trade so much to try and get them.

V2icki likes this.
  3. I think most of us can agree that Tree House and Lawson's have to be back.

4. Midnight Sun
    Alpine
    Crooked Stave
    Kern River
    Funky Boddha
    Kuhnhenn
    Toppling Goliath
    Perennial
    Pipeworks
    Hair of the Dog
    Logsdon

Robtobfest likes this.
  5. blckout20

blckout20 Savant (325) Connecticut May 24, 2012

Bring Back
    Goose Island
    Maine Beer Co.
    Tree House Brewing Co.
    Lawson's
    Jack's Abby
    Trillium
    Night Shift
    Stone
    Two Roads
    Stone

Add
    New England Brewing
    Hill Farmstead
    Willimantic Brewing
    Russian River :- P
    Three Floyds
    Alchemist
    Founders
    New Belgium

6. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

bell's
    funky buddha
    cigar city
    odell

hill farmstead
    NEBCO
    lawson's
    alchemist
    jack's abby
    tree house

drake's
    lost abbey
    russian river
    firestone walker
    hair of the dog
    deschutes

anchorage
    struise
    mikkeller
    sierra nevada

LeeMarvin likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Both brewers like being at ACBF so I can only assume they are in unless their is a conflict in their schedules.

8. A lot of these suggestions (Alchemist, Lost Abbey, Hill Farmstead, Cigar City) are/were at the Extreme Beer Fest. I'd love to see them at more fests, but maybe they only have a budget for one trip to Boston per year.

I was glad to see lots of new local brewers (Trillium, Tree House, etc.) and would like that tradition to continue. For more established brewers: Alpine, Hair of the Dog, Russian River, New England Brewing, Three Floyds, Founders

9. We've got to get New England Brewing there. Hopefully next year they'll be able to make it.
    Marshall wharf would be nice as well.
    Tree house
    Lawsons
    Jacks abbey
    Franklin's
    Nightshift
    Trillium

10. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

ALPINE !!!!!
    TREE HOUSE
    LAWSONS
    CROOKED STAVE
    UPLAND
    FAT HEADS
    CANTILLON -YEAH RIGHT!

11. I'd love to see The Livery come back. Those guys are cool, and always bring some tasty stuff.

12. Suggestions above:

Struise
    Mikkeller
    Cantillon

You guys know this is the 'MERICAN Craft Beer Fest right?;)!

13. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Rogue
    Shipyard

14. Funkwerks
    Hair of the Dog
    Bell's
    Cigar City
    Odell's
    Three Floyd's
    Deschutes
    Sierra Nevada
    Southern Tier
    Ommegang

LostTraveler likes this.
  15. seem to be out on a limb but we liked all the beers we had from Franklin's (6 tried) and would definitely like to see them back.

16. Tree House, Wandering Star, Trillium, and Battle Road stick out in my mind. I'll also mention DC Brau and Duck-Rabbit, but it's probably a lock they'll be there already.

Esper1 and Robtobfest like this.
  17. Ones that I would like to see that were not there this year are:

Lakefront
    Surly
    Bell's
    Russian River
    New Glarus
    Heretic

LostTraveler likes this.
  18. I noticed four by absence -- two because I just know them well and two because they were at ExBF and not at ACBF. The first two are New Glarus and New Belgium. The other two are Dark Horse and Lost Abbey.

I'm not sure how you decide which ones are to be selected. I have little doubt that more than 140 want to be there. But there were not all equal. There were two booths that remained empty on Saturday. Some brewers did not bring enough samples, others only had two beers to try. I'd like to see a requirement to have at least 3 different items to sample. And I wonder if there is a way to organize entries somehow in a Tour de France manner -- some permanent fixtures, with the rest left as wildcards. So, let's say, you have 80 breweries that are guaranteed spots if they want them. Then you have up to 20 reserved for brewpubs that only sell from the premises and another 40 are wildcards to be granted to the best of the remaining and these would rotate regularly so that more breweries get exposure. This is what makes most sense to me, but YMMV

19. Tschnab

Tschnab Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2010

I'd love to see Off Color Brewing

kustard and Schwantz like this.
  20. Lawsons
    Hardywood
    Russian River
    Duchetes
    NEW GLARUS

Esper1 likes this.
  21. how about any brewery that haven't been there before.

22. AC Golden, I'd like to see what Coors does with sour ales and RIS.

Tschnab likes this.
  23. Beer'd Brewing Co.

24. I thought I'd posted a second note earlier but it either got deleted or failed to go through. Still scratching my head on that. Given the sales numbers, I'm surprised Deschutes doesn't make it every year. Since we don't get to see much of them in stores on this side of the world, maybe it's not cost effective for them. But there are at least three others from the Middle of Left Coast that would be good to see: Cascade, Hair of the Dog and Pelican. The last two, in particular, could use some exposure. So could Gigantic.

Oh, and from a different part of the world, Toppling Goliath has been making waves--it's not a question of them needing exposure as much as of us needing to be exposed to it.

25. Remember, someone has to pay for it. Either we do, with tickets, or they wave it and that would make them sponsors. Not sure I'd want either on my conscience. Coors is putting a ton of marketing into ShockTop and a bit into Blue Moon as well. They can afford to push their own brands. I'm not saying they don't deserve a try, just doesnt sound like the best fit.

26. It was kind of a joke, but also kind of serious. They're a subsidiary just like GI is now an AB-InBev subsidiary. Right?

27. How about

New England Brewing Co
    Highland
    Founders
    Hill Farmstead
    Firestone Walker
    Terrapin
    Alpine

28. I replyed differantly but yes all six of those are in my book as well as Williamsburg ale works and hopefully
    Bear Republic and Boulevard as well

Crazy4LegMoose likes this.
  29. Another vote for Three Floyd's. Zombie Dust is phenomenal.

30. While I would love to see more breweries whose beers are not readily available in MA (post #17), I will remind people that ACBF is one of, if not the only, fest that pays the breweries for their beer they bring. So more breweries and more beers equals higher ticket costs. While I would love to see Lakefont, Surly and New Glarus, is it worth it to go to a Fest in state where they don't sell? Some of these smaller breweries may not have enough beer to be able to come either. If they are at full capacity now in the sense where they are selling everything they make, then even if asked and paid to come, where do they get the beer from?

31. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

That really doesn't apply here. Jason mentioned in his post that we'll only have room for 140 again, so we're looking for suggestions for the 140 as we can't guarantee that all of the 2013 brewers will be back; for one reason or another.

VictorWisc likes this.
  32. This is what I'd love to see:

Jacks Abbey
    Night Shift
    Idle Hands
    Duck-Rabbit Head
    Allagash
    Natty Greene's

33. Just a thought. Does it make sense to put local breweries near each other? I'm not suggesting having some kind of a geographic distribution, but having MA breweries in one corner would be a nice tip of the hat both to the local brewers and to the local consumers--which constitute a rather substantial portion of paid attendees. If you make a point to highlight local breweries you might even be able to get a small grant from state Chamber of Commerce.

34. Hopefully Treehouse is still brewing beer then. Some douche bag is trying his hardest to shut them down.

VictorWisc likes this.
  35. And he is a douchebag. He is doing it on principle, not because he has a problem with Tree House per se. And he's the only neighbor who wants them gone.

meb3476 likes this.
  36. Dry Dock Brewing Company. Best Hefeweizen in the country, great Barleywine and some good IPAs

37. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

You should do what you can to get Prairie Artisan there! Plenty of people are starting to hear about them because of how incredible all of their releases are, but it would be awesome to get the recognition there as well!

38. Founders
    Bell's
    Three Floyds
    Russian River
    Alchemist
    Firestone Walker
    New England Brewing
    Cigar City
    Alpine
    Soudts
    River Horse
    Ruckus Brewing