ACBF 2014 - What's on your list?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by blckout20, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blckout20

blckout20 Savant (325) Connecticut May 24, 2012

I'm really hoping to see some more big name additions to the list (i.e. Lawson's, Night Shift, Trillium, etc.) but lets start sharing what are your 'must trys' for 2014. Also, there seems to be an even greater number of small Mass breweries coming this year, so if anyone familiar with some of those has some incite as to their quality please share.

For me...
    1. Tree House is always a must stop, and I'm very excited to hear they'll be bringing a new beer in addition to Double Shot (fantastic) and their flagship Julius.

2. Duck Rabbit Brewing - They were one of several standouts for me last year and I'm very much looking forward to sampling all of the beers they bring.

3. Relic Brewing - Kiwi Brett IPA: Haven't been really impressed by any of their offerings that I've had, but this sounds pretty good.

4. NoDa Hop Drop n' Roll: Always interested to see if anyone else is keeping up with New England for IPAs/DIPAs. (Toppling Goliath is the only one I feel like holds a candle to Alchemist, Lawsons, HF, Tree House, Nebco, Trillium)

5. Cisco - Cranberry Woods: I've enjoyed a few of cisco's wild ales and expect this will be very good.

Overall, a bit disappointed not to see some standouts from last year returning (Lawson's, Night Shift, Trillium, NERAX?, Goose Island) or some of the favorites from EBF (Funky Buddha, Crooked Stave, Toppling Goliath, Nebco) making appearances this year. Hopefully there are some more additions coming.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Simple math shows that we have roughly 30 more breweries and over 140 more beers to add. It's premature, and a bit silly, to share your disappointment at this time.

Additionally, you can't expect some of these smaller brewers that don't have distribution in MA to attend every fest we host. It's just not feasible for them.

3. Todd, will the list be downloadable and when might we hope to get that? We know you are working hard but as always we always want more :)

4. Todd

We don't provide a downloadable list, and expect changes to the online master list all the way up to the final week of the fest. The fest guide (freely distributed at the fest) will have the majority of the beers listed.

5. OK, sorry I thought you were discussing it for EBF
    I think that is one of the most wanted enhancements. Allows you to filter for only the styles you want and see what you are looking at.

6. Dicers

Dicers Champion (910) Texas Sep 2, 2012

At least with funky Buddha and Toppling Goliath you have to remember the Brewers and owners attend every festival that they are in, it doesn't make fiscal sense to attend 2 festivals within 3 months in the same area based on their size.

As for Lawson and Night Shift patience would've shown they areboth going to be in attendance and past history dictates NERAX beers aren't announced but they will be there. With being over a month away and the beer list clearly stating it is a fluid and continuously expanding list I would wait to pass judgement until after the event. Remember Sam Adams with a surprise Utopia in process keg at EBF? Not everything is known until the day of the event.

All that being said I hope you're pumped for the event and you're able to enjoy it because it's going to be an awesome time.

7. blckout20

Oh, I completely understand Funky Buddha and Toppling not necessarily being able to attend again. Of course, I think EBF brought a ton of attention to both breweries, and at a festival less than half the size of ACBF, it may be beneficial in attending and might bring an increasing amount of attention to two breweries that I feel are pushing the boundaries on craft beer. I by no means meant to imply that they should feel obligated to attend.

As far as the butt hurt that was felt by me feeling "a bit disappointed" at the current brewery list, oh well. All I was trying to do was get people talking about what breweries are currently listed as attending and what I hoped to see added. It's not like we're months out from this festival, it's in a couple of weeks and I just mentioned what I would like to see at ACBF. I didn't see the brewery/beer count list at the bottom of the page until afterward, so "simple math" didn't really help. Glad to see Night Shift and Lawson's have been added to the list, maybe next year I'll wait until the day before to start talking about the event so as not to ruffle any feathers.

8. Todd

No feathers ruffled here ... we're just pointing out some facts to address your early concerns/disappointment.

9. Dicers

Dicers Champion (910) Texas Sep 2, 2012

Same here I'm not upset just trying to make you realize the time and effort it goes into such enormous events... I hope that when you go to ACBF that you have an awesome time. I volunteer at the events and I do my best along with the rest of the volunteers to make the event as awesome as possible.

10. rjp217

rjp217 Champion (775) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

List looks absolutely massive and excellent as usual. Skimming through, I'm looking forward to these ones thus far:

Wormtown Tennessee Tats
    Tree House YAHRG
    Duck Rabbit Milk Stout
    Rhinegeist Truth
    Woodstock Vanilla Bean Old Man
    White Birch DIPA
    Banded Horn Bineary
    Lagunitas Waldo's
    Big Iron Da Honey Stank
    Newburgh Hop Drop
    Jacks Abby Cherry Berliner
    Banded Horn Bineary
    Lawsons Peril
    Burley Oak Cloud Nine
    Cape Ann JRs Milk Stout w/ Vanilla Bean
    DC Brau OTWOA
    Foundation Saisons
    New Hollands BA Dragons Milk
    NODA Hop Drop N Roll

11. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Zealot (85) Rhode Island Aug 22, 2009

thanks for the Tree House, Relic, and NoDa tips. i have not had the pleasure of sampling those breweries (yet).

in addition to my favorite styles, i have a growing appreciation for sour/wild brews. i'd like to try any of these:

Allagash
    Bear Republic
    Bog Iron
    Boulevard
    Burley Oak
    Cisco
    Finback
    Ithaca
    Long Trail?
    Night Shift
    Prodigal
    TRVE
    Unita
    White Birch

...basically all the sours/berlinerweiss i havet tried, heh.

the goses are also a new fave of mine. from the list i found:

Anderson Valley
    Ithaca
    Lost Nation
    Union

other than those mentioned above, i'm interested in my steadfast favorite style, IPAs/IIPAs and maybe a rauchbier thrown in for good measure. oh, and Enlightenment is pretty awesome too in basically everything they do.

12. blckout20

Lost Nation gose is very legit.

DerekMorgan and Kemosabe like this.
  13. I noticed Trillium isn't on the list but the keep mentioning ABCF preparations on their facebook page, so I'm pretty sure they will be there. Hopefully some of those others are just accidental omissions too.

14. Todd

A small handful of brewers couldn't get us their beers in time for the guide. We'll list them online as soon as we get them.

15. I figured as much. I was just pointing out to the op that one of the brewers he thinks is missing will be there, so there is some chance the others will as well. If not the list freaking sweat anyway. A bunch of breweries only have their common brews listed, but I highly doubt that's all they're really bringing. Looking like a great event. Only think missing is tasting glasses vs. plastic cups

16. Todd

Nope. Many will be bringing their core offerings, as ACBF isn't solely targeting beer geeks looking for special offerings.
    And we're not missing glasses. Trust me. For a 3.5 hour tasting of 2oz samples, they're overrated, a waste of money, and a safety hazard.

csniezek, American_Hawk and JrGtr like this.
  17. or one glass per responsible person and a wet rag to wipe it down and some trust and responsibility . I understand the organizer's perspective, don't get me wrong, but I also don't like sampling out of plastic cups.
    Plastic cups are a shortcut and they probably reduce the cost for everyone, but I'd pay extra for a tasting glass. Trying exceptional beer for the first time deserves a glass.

18. Todd

@jefffalcone: We can agree to disagree. Oh, and the venue doesn't allow glass tasters; safety hazard, not a shortcut.

jefffalcone likes this.
  19. well moot point then... great event!

20. OK, I feel like a knucklehead, but I can't find the list of breweries coming to the ABCF referred to above.

21. Todd

22. Hey guys
    I'm coming down from canada for the fest and am not that familiar with some of the smaller mass/ Vermont breweries. If anyone can suggest some must trys that would be awesome. Thanks.

23. you need to state your style preference before anyone is going to step in. All beers have links and the point if ACBF is to be open minded. We really enjoyed beers from some brewpub no one recommended last summer and it turned our well.

24. Thanks. I tried a bit of everything last year and found some hidden gems. I'm a big fan of IPAs, Berlinger weisse, any sour and looking to try some great Saisons.

25. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Zealot (85) Rhode Island Aug 22, 2009

check my post above for the breweries bringing sours and berlinerweisses.
    also, the original post has soem IPA recommendations. too add to those, i can whole-heartedly recommend (without getting into a litany) Gubna from Oskar Blues. its an impeccable ale.

26. Todd

TRVE and Urban Chestnut unfortunately backed out (not prepared). We'll be looking for 2 replacement breweries. We also have some breweries to add who were late getting us their beer lists.

Updates to follow ...

27. Todd, Is Trillium going to return this year?

28. Sorry, I should have read all the posts, my question is answered. :confused:

29. so many breweries from Mass. A great opportunity to sample these offerings with out having to drive all over creation to do so.

30. MSL94

MSL94 Savant (310) New Jersey Mar 12, 2008

I noticed that Franklin's General Store/Brewery from MD is not listed. In years past, I thought they had a nice selection at ACBF. Could you please confirm?

31. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Those guys were at EBF, and had a heck of a selection there.
    Really impressive lineup.

32. Todd said:
    We were thinking about releasing a spreadsheet for everyone if we have the time, but I'm not sure if we will.

I saw the comment about a google doc spreadsheet listing all the ACBF beers along with their ratings and booth locations, and wondered if this would be available before next weekend. I used one created by another member last year and it was extremely helpful in planning out my drinking :)

33. Todd

It always sounds like a good idea, but then I run out of time ... :eek:

Dicers likes this.
  34. where are the brochures currently around Boston, I would love to grab a copy to start premature highlighting etc.

35. I found some in Liquor Land, Mass ave South Boston Today very informative! Already marking down my must tastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.