1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

ACBF Favorites/Highlights

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

When I stepped into the convention center, I felt like a little kid in a candy shop. So many beers from so many brewers! I didn't know what to try first.

I was wondering what everyone's top 3 beers were that they tasted. For me, I would have to put down...

1. Double Sunshine / Lawson's / The aroma nearly knocked me on my ass. Such concentrated fruit in the profile.

2. Tripel Reserve / Night Shift / Being a wine lover, I appreciated the use of grape must. It's a better Noble Rot.

3. Tornado / Tree House / They were sold out of Julius, but this was just as good as Double Sunshine.

I tried BCBS while I was there, and when I asked if this was the 2013 vintage one guy said yes with an "I really dont know" look on his face and the other made a joke about it being from the future and hand delivered by Marty McFly. While it was funny, I wished I could have gotten a straight answer, because if it WAS indeed the 2013 BCBS, it would vault to the top of the list. If someone could confirm or deny this when they visit the booth, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anyways, happy drinking to those who hav yet to go!
    Cheers!
  2. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Been ISO for Double Sunshine for quite a while now...

Wish I could have been there. Curious to see other attendees favorites and standouts.
  3. BCull82

BCull82 Member

Double Sunshine
    Julius
    Stone Imperial Espresso Russian Stout
    Lawson's Session IPA was outstanding
    Wings of Armageddon

I liked the Rabid Duck stout from Duckrabbit but was very unimpressed with one of the guys pouring. I'm not a fan of tapping schedules but it is what it is. I arrived at the line five mnutes after the tapping time and one of the guys told me I couldnt have it becuase others were waiting (By the way there was two people on the side talking and I was in the only line). He was essentially a jerk and looked pissed the entire time he was there. The other guy poured it for me so it was all good though.
  4. benbking

benbking Member

Trillium Bug Valley.
    Hands down, favorite beer. Others: All the Tree House Offerings. Duck Rabbit Barleywine and Duck Rabbit BBA Baltic Porter.
    greenmtn1111 and MikeHasHops like this.
  5. kirkse

kirkse Member

I went in with high expectations for Lawson's Double Sunshine and Duck Rabbit BA Baltic Porter and was definitely not disappointed. I was also impressed by Jack's Abby's Cascadian Schwarzbier and Lagunitas' Wine Barrel Imperial Stout. I was also much more impressed by Black Xantus than I had been before.
  6. nc41

nc41 Member

Depends on Lawson's brewing schedule I suppose, a few weeks ago it was Chinnokie IPA. If it's DS week your ISO might just work, but from what I understand even when it's around there's not a lot of it. Check in with the Warren Store in Warren mid morning on a Thurs to see what was delivered, if it's DS post your ISO and hope for the best. Other than that anything you might get might be older product.
  7. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Member

Everweiss from nightshift !the snow was awesome too!
    Treehouse julius
    bunker coffee IPA
    Newburg CAFE sour
    prodigal. berlinerweiss
    Everything from Lawson was just world class
  8. Mattys21

Mattys21 Member

I'm pretty sure he made that comment because the 2013 vintage isn't out yet. That beer is released in Sep-November every year. So I'm assuming it's a 2012 vintage or earlier.
  9. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Member

Besides everything from Lawson's, I was really surprised by Lagunitas' Boston Fusion 14. That beer was delicious. Also Tree House Julius and DC Brau's On the Wings of Armageddon.
  10. AverageWhiteGuy

AverageWhiteGuy Member

Smoked Maple Lager from Lawson's
    Sofie Paradisi From Goose Island
    Ever Weisse From Night Shift

These are the three that stand out the most to me from what I had, though I have to admit that Double Sunshine was pretty amazing. I was also really impressed with On the Wings of Armageddon from DC Brau.
  11. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

On the Wings of Armageddon was one I completely forgot about. As I was looking back over my program when I left, I noticed it and immediately started kicking myself. Oh we'll, always next year...hopefully :p
  12. Lledd

Lledd Member

Not in this order, but:

Allagash Interlude
    CBC Mellow Gold
    GI BCBS (not my first time drinking it, but its still amazing, on tap too!)
  13. tzieser

tzieser Zealot

I preferred Double Sunshine over Heady Topper, Abner and Edward when I went up to VT. Yeah it's that good.
  14. pjs234

pjs234 Member

Peril by Lawson's,
    Double Sunshine by Lawson's
    On the Wings of Armageddon by DC Brau
    Be Hoppy by Wormtown
    Julius by Tree House
    Odio Equu by Avery
    Bug Valley by Trillium
    Lledd likes this.
  15. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

True true...I was just hoping it was a Pre-Release sample. Needless to say, BCBS tastes WAY better on tap than in the bottle (and that's saying something).
  16. nc41

nc41 Member

I saw a FT for Double Sunshine might take look
  17. codon2004

codon2004 Member

Brewmaster Jack Total Eclipse
    Lawson's Chinooker'd
    Slumbrew My Better Half

How about worst? Newburgh Chili Lime Stout?
  18. blt2646

blt2646 Member

Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale was damn good. Also a pleasant surprise was Bog Iron Stinger IPA which was just across the way.
    VelvetExtract likes this.
  19. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Thanks for the head's up!
  20. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

Allagash Bourbon Black. Tasted like a Jack Daniels on the rocks after 45 minutes. Watered down as F***
  21. fineout

fineout Member

Two that really stood out were:
    Allagash Interlude
    Lawson/Jacks abby smoked porter

Honestly I wasnt a huge fan of BCBS, i likes KBS wayyy better, but the guys from goose island were really cool to hang out and talk to. I was working the fest so I didnt have time to really try a ton of beers and be able to make notes on them but I didnt have many beers that I didnt like. Cheers!
  22. msween21

msween21 Member

My hands down favorite was Tree House Julius. Next favorite was prob Chinooker'd. Backlash Salute is pretty awesome too. Double sunshine was really good too, just wasn't my favorite beer there like I expected it to be. I was very disappointed by DC Brau. I also found Lunch to be underwhelming. For non IPAs the CBC Hefeweizen was excellent. Also really enjoyed the Sixpoint Apollo.
  23. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Member

Dammit I wish I had gotten to Tree House sooner. I got there, no lie, like an hour and a half into the festival and they were sold out of Julius. Was not expecting that.
  24. Boomblaze

Boomblaze Member

I left at 9 and still got Julius as my last beer, it was also my 1st and shown there bright and delicious.
  25. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Member

Biggest surprise was flying dog easy IPA! And I avoid flying dog usually but this was a real big surprise.
    Weiss Weiss baby was awful
  26. Boomblaze

Boomblaze Member

#1. Green Flash - Imp. Red Rye
    #2. Tree House - Julius
    #3. D.C. Brau - On the Wings
    #4 Lawson's. - Double Shine
    #5 Jack's Abby - Cascadian Schwarzbier

It was a good time
  27. msween21

msween21 Member

I guess Julius went quicker in the earlier sessions. I also had it early and late tonight. I might have to make a trip out to Brimfield.
  28. bizkat

bizkat Member

Double Sunshine and Julius delivered as expected but the real surprise for me was Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale.
    VelvetExtract likes this.
  29. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Bunker 122 Coffee IPA. Had zero expectations for Bunker, had never had a single brew, and I typically HATE the style, thought Dayman was pretty bad. the 122 was the best beer I had tonight, by FAR, and I had some pretty good (understatement) beers tonight. Absolutely incredible, will be doing absolutely everything I can to go find more of this.

Don't think I've been this excited about a random beer discovery ever. Maybe when I drank Wide Awake It's Morning at EBF 2012 without knowing what it was, but that's the only thing that is even in the same ballpark.

On the other hand, the Ovila w/ Mandarins and Peppercorns, which I was very excited about, was really bad, IMO. Was pretty underwhelmed by Julius, also, but that was because of through the roof expectations - it's quite good, but a little too much malt in the body for me.
  30. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Really pissed I missed the Prodigal berliner.
  31. Mattys21

Mattys21 Member

I went to Session C and my Top 5 was:

1. Lawson's - Double Sunshine
    2. Duck Rabbit - Bourbon Barrel Aged Baltic Porter (tapped at 8:45)
    3. NoDa - Hop, Drop 'n Roll
    4. Tree House -Julius
    5. D.C Brau-On the Wings of Armageddon

Worst beer of the night: Lagunitas Imperial stout aged in wine barrels...too bad, because I love their beers.
    dawatts likes this.
  32. jomobono

jomobono Member

Tastes better when you have a full pour from your fresh growler at BT Smokehouse.
    lucas1801, dawatts and Damian like this.
  33. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Totally believe it! Will be making the trip down soon. Tornado was great.
  34. brewtechnik

brewtechnik Member

#1 Duck Rabbit BBA Baltic Porter (Went back for seconds, then thirds)
    #2 Tree House Julius (Better than Double Sunshine IMO)
    #3 Goose Island Sofie Paradisi
    #4 Tree House Space and Time
    Honorable mention: Heavy Seas Cask BBA Peg Leg (Big Surprise)
  35. jomobono

jomobono Member

I really want to try that as well, I actually prefer amazing American Pale Ales over IPAs (Zombie Dust, Edward, What is Enlightenment). Keep checking their website for when Julius is on but it is generally at the end of the month.
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  36. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Not in the top top class of my favorite APAs, but really really well done. Curious as to what it's hopped with. Tasted much more like the classic American hops than the newer, citrus forward ones, which I actually really liked, as it was a nice changeup from the citrus forward APAs that are the big thing now. Kind of a slightly less great Edward, actually.
  37. jomobono

jomobono Member

I have to say for me personally I am enjoying the citrus forward APAs and IPAs, but I do appreciate a change up now and then.
  38. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

I love em too, but the prevalence just makes me appreciate the ones with more classic hops even more!
    dawatts and jomobono like this.
  39. PackieMcHopHead

PackieMcHopHead Member

My favorites were 1. Double Sunshine from Lawson's; 2. Julius from Tree House 3.Sofie Paradise from Goose Island; 4 On the Wings of Armageddon from DC Brau and Funkhaus from Oxbow. And honorable mention to Tree House's Space & Time imperial stout.

I did a little quick hitter blog of my best-of ACBF moments here.
    scootsmal and andyosterman like this.
  40. jdamaso84

jdamaso84 Member

Ever Weisse was amazing. Night Shift is going to be a monster for years to come.
    masterob8 and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.