1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ACBF Favorites/Highlights

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MenardMa

MenardMa Savant (330) Connecticut Feb 6, 2011

I don't quite agree, I had it for the first time last night and I really liked it but still didn't think it touched Heady. To each their own! I would still gladly bathe in it and it was still the best I had a the fest aside from whichever "session" IPA TreeHouse was pouring...maybe tornado? Whatever it was, it was excellent. Right up there with Double Sunshine.

Worst beer I had at the fest was the C.A.F.E Sour by Newburgh...holy shit, just terrible in my opinion. I get that they're doing something different but I think it evoked far too much of the "what urine smells and probably tastes like after too much coffee" kind of thing.

2. ellis860

ellis860 Zealot (90) Connecticut Mar 28, 2011

Bunker Brewing Coffee IPA
    DC Brau On The Wings
    Goose Island Sofie Paradisi
    Jack's Abby Leisure Time & Smoked Maple Lager
    Lawson's Double Sunshine
    The Prodigal Kellerbier
    Throwback Donkey-Hote & Rhubarb Wit
    Tree House

3. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Yeah we'll have to just disagree on this one. The hop profile of DS just rubbed off on me more than the others. Still love all beers mentioned, we're really comparing Vivaldi to Tchaikovsky at this point

4. That's a nice write up of the fest. One little thing, the first session on Saturday opened 10 minutes early to start getting people out of the heat and sun. Some people waited for almost 2 hours to get in.

5. MSL94

MSL94 Savant (310) New Jersey Mar 12, 2008

In response to your blog, I don't quite get the fake moustaches either. They are somewhat popular here in New Jersey at the Atlantic City Beer Fest (the other ACBF), but they become a distraction after a while. Just saying.

6. So many great beers. I really enjoyed Ballast Point's Victory at sea porter.

7. MSL94

MSL94 Savant (310) New Jersey Mar 12, 2008

Had a great time at the Saturday afternoon session, only drawback was waiting in a line that wrapped around the building (ended up getting a nice tan though). Would like to thank the Alstrom Brothers for another successful event, as well as some of the Boston residents and fellow craft beer enthusiasts who made this event incredible. Unfortunately, I was not able to try anything from Tree House, Lawsons or Trillium due to the long lines and the fact that I had so many beers I wanted to try from other brewers. Some of my favorites include:

Clown Shoes Galatica
    Backlash Declaration
    Boulevard 80 Acre
    DC Brau Yonder Cities
    Franklin's Mama Said Hop You Out
    Goose Island Minx
    Harpoon White IPA
    Pretty Things Baby Tree
    Revival Zeppelin
    Wasatch Ghost Rider

8. Goose Island: Sofie Paridisi
    Lawson's: Double Sunshine
    Tree House: Julius & Eureka
    Wormtown: Be Hoppy
    DC Brau: OTWOA
    Ballast Point: Sculpin

And, really enjoyed the Enlightment beers.

9. T-RO

T-RO Savant (310) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Had a great time Saturday afternoon, here's my favorites, top 3 in asterisk
    *Lawson Double Sunshine
    Bog iron Stinger
    D. C. Brau On the wings of armageddon
    *Noda Hop, Drop 'n Roll
    Oxbow Funkhaus
    *Tree House Julius
    Victory Ranch
    Weyerbacher Blasphemy

smutty33 likes this.
  10. Best of Show Beer: Double Sunshine--hands down! Every other top IPA tasted marginal compared to it. And I made the rounds....Maine, Ballast Point, DC, etc.

Best Overall Brewery? The Duck Rabbit---Barleywine, R.I.S. American Black, and Milk Stout, all phenomenal! Barleywine and American Black Ale (Black IPA) are styles I generally avoid...since trying what the Duck Rabbit had to offer, I am rethinking that.

Most interesting Beers? Idle Hands "Indelibly Yours" and Newburgh "C.A.F.E. Sour." Made me do a double take!

ctkach likes this.
  11. I've had many a bottle of BCBS and though that the keg at the ACBF day session was the best I've ever had of it.

12. I don't think I've ever had so many surprisingly awesome beers at a BA fest as I did at this ACBF. Aside from the predicable amazingness of beers like Double Sunshine, Julius, Victory at Sea (sooooo much more complex on-tap than in a bottle) and BCBS (which was drinking better on Saturday than I've ever had it), I was super impressed by Beer Works' Oud Bruin and Trillium's Bug Valley. CBC's The Cure (cask) and Enlightenment's Illumination were fantastic as well.

13. Looking through these lists, I realize how many booths I missed. I tried to give some love to the lesser known breweries this year. Tried Bog Iron out of Norton and their stuff was great. Tried Noda out of Charlotte, NC and they were fantastic and really nice people. But of course I found myself in the big lines for DuckRabbit and Lawsons too. Too many booths, too little time.

kirkse and blckout20 like this.

14. I second that. Bunker was unforgetable and honest blew stone dayman out of the water. Also I forget the brewery byt intergalactic acid berliner with raspberry syrup was very tasty.
    Of course treehouse was on point as usual

A big thanks to BA and ALL of the breweries for putting the event together and making it even better this year. I'm looking forward to next year.

tehzachatak likes this.
  15. Lawson's...Double Sunshine
    Sixpoint's...Spice of Life-Citra
    NoDa's...Hop, Drop and Roll

16. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

The brewery that makes Intergalactic Acid Berliner is The Tap Brewing Co. out of Haverhill, MA. I haven't tried their stuff but people have been raving about the Berliner. I was looking at one at a store over the weekend but went with something else.

time4lunch likes this.
  17. Odio Equu by Avery
    Double Sunshine by Lawson's
    Ever Weisse by Night Shift
    Chinooker'd by Lawson's

18. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Lagunitas's sour stout was amazing, beer of the night for me.

19. Though I've had it before, Double Sunshine is absolutely amazing. I also thoroughly enjoyed Duck Rabbit's Hoppy Bunny, Bentley's Sir Dankly IPA, Jack's Abby & Lawson's collaboration Smoked Maple, and Left Hand's Beer Week Sauce. There were several beers very similar to Maine's Lunch, and I enjoyed those as well.

On the bad side, there was Amherst Brewing Co's Experimental IPA (tasted like skunk juice) one of my friends had another of their beers and claimed it was pure lemon juice. Maybe their ride in was pretty rough, or their kegs weren't stored properly. I was also underwhelmed by Night Shift's Snow white coffee stout. While I enjoyed Tree House's Space & Time, my friends were thoroughly disappointed with Julius.

I'm disappointed I missed the Backlash Salute and Nectar's Black Xantus. Oh well, there's always next year!

20. Woah, when did they switch from Glacier to Citra!?

dawatts likes this.
  21. RyWill

RyWill Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2008

High Horse Another Lover IPA and Lady K need to get bottled/canned ASAP.

time4lunch and Robtobfest like this.
  22. Britbeer75

Britbeer75 Disciple (65) Maine Nov 27, 2010

Agreed dbl sunshine is way better than heady topper

Robtobfest likes this.
  23. No idea, their list said Glacier but I'm 99.9% sure the sign at the beer fest said citra.

24. tbm882

tbm882 Aficionado (150) New York Aug 25, 2007

Most of the beers I expected to be good were just that. Breweries like Lawsons, Duck rabbit, Mystic, and Night Shift never seem to disappoint me at the fests . A brewery/beer I was surprised by was Westfield River brewing company/test batch x, it ended up being the beer I went back for the most. Their charlie in the rye was also very good.

25. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Was that the wild ale from Avery? It was incredibly tart. I dont think ive ever had a sour so maybe thats what they were going for but I found it hard to drink.

26. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (495) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

This seems very Un-Dude. I'm not hating on having a sense of humour (Back to the Future reference is funny)... but wouldn't it be better to inform a potential consumer that this is the 2012 and then notify them when the 2013 comes out? Oh well... Glad you enjoyed it either way. It's also cool that another BA chimed in below with the info that it's most likely the 2012 batch. There are def some very cool people on this site.

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  27. LOL! Too each his own.....I thought it was a "beer nerd" beer, which is to say something I would never brew, probably never buy, but glad I got to try it...what struck me most is that it was a coffee beer that wasn't brown.

28. Tree House Julius is the real deal. Amazing.

Burton Baton in the Randall showed that Dogfish can still bring it.

Kudos to Heavy Seas for getting more adventurous than most and serving up 3 casks of barrel aged beers. Likewise, the NERAX booth was a nice touch.

Skipped Lawson's due to epic line and the fact that I've had them many times, but I'm sure Double Sunshine would be up there with my favs just like everybody else.

Only one drainpour for the fest - the Newburgh CAFE Sour. I liked the uniqued attempt, but coffee and sour just don't mesh well...

29. andyosterman

andyosterman Zealot (80) Illinois Oct 22, 2008

The BCBS was released in November 2012. The 2013 release is still spending time in barrels.

30. Woah woah woah. Them there is fightin words! Double sunshine on tap is great, no doubt but out of the bottle it doesnt touch heady imo. For me i thoroughly enjoy DS but I crave heady constantly and its something i usually have.

31. Had an amaaazing time as a volunteer all day Saturday. Thanks for the high five in line if you were in session C! So happy to have done both sessions- allowed me to sample a bunch of beers I've wanted to try while still being responsible about it, since I spent 10 hours at the place.

I'll echo the sentiments of several others here- Night Shift's Ever Weisse blew me away, as did both Bug Valley and Fort Point Pale Ale from Trillium. I'll definitely make it a point to visit both for growler fills some free Saturday. I'm also super psyched to be the the general area of High Horse Brew Co- Lady K is my jam. As an aside, anyone living in Western Mass get get their beer at Pioneer Brew Co. in Sturbridge. Fort Jeff's Party Boat IPA was also a really, really tasty surprise.

32. ElijahRivera

ElijahRivera Savant (370) New York Jun 30, 2009

33. Trying to figure out which Fayston stout Lawson's brought for their surprise line on Saturday. Anybody know? I am pretty sure Friday was Peril. But Sat was Maple Barrel Aged Fayston? Help so I can review!

34. tree's house's julius (recurring theme here eh?) and duck rabbit's barrel aged baltic porter were probably my 2 favorites of the evening. other highlights were space and time (also tree house) and trillium fort point. locals really impressed. goose island's minx (missed out on sofie paradisi) and lagunitas wine barrel stout were pleasant surprises.

35. Think it was their Bourbon Barrel Version...(750ml with Red Wax)

VelvetExtract likes this.
  36. Oak Aged was last years bourbon barrel aged FMIS, not sure which bourbon barrel.

37. I also has a bad experience with the guy pouring Duck Rabbit. Otherwise the event was great. Favorites include Double Sunshine, 3HB The Kind, Trillium (can't remember the beer I had unfortunately), On the Wings of Armageddon.

38. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Any specifics on Bog Iron? They are located a few miles from my house and enjoy Stinger just wish it were a little more carbonated. Its smells great and is less bitter more malty see I think that's from the honey they use. Their Blonde is very good too.

Anyone else like their stuff?

39. 1) Ipswitch Local Harvest Five Mile Equinox Pale Ale
    2) Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
    3) Cambridge Brewing Company's The Audacity of Hops

40. spider05660

spider05660 Disciple (70) Vermont Sep 15, 2008

Duck Rabbit Milk Stout was outstanding! And the Julius from Tree House was also very good. Also liked the Blueberry Lager from Opa, Opa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.