1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ACBF : Fri / Sat night hangs for the Session B crowd

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by jfarrlley, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey future fest goers…I’m point man for a larger group coming up for Session B Saturday afternoon. Gameplan this year is to show Friday evening, stay through Sunday and try to hit some cool local pubs / bars / events on Friday night and Saturday night...Now, I know based on past history that Saturday night we’re going to play be ear as we will all be in various states of sobriety after ACBF. As our hotel is in the Cambridge area, I think our plan is check out that local scene on Friday night and probably hit up CBC among other local pubs.

Still, I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or gathering plans for Friday / Saturday night if you are in the same boat as us. Is there an establishment that caters or offers specials to the beer drinking crowd that is descending on Boston?

Any help appreciated…
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

"Specials" as the term is commonly understood are legally prohibited in MA, but there are a plethora of bars to check out. I would suggest reading one of the many threads in the NE forum about people traveling to Boston, as the same thread with the same info pops up nearly every week

I would suggest CBC, Lord Hobo, and Meadhall in Cambridge. Lower Depths and Sunset Grill & Tap in "Boston." Also, the Harpoon Beer Hall could be worth checking out (although I still have yet to go).
    jfarrlley likes this.
  3. Thank you Sir...did my research and came up with the same Cambridge spots, but good to get some confirmation. Also good to check the NE forum for latest happenings...why didn't I think of that?
    willbm3 likes this.
  4. Salty Pig (Boston across from Back Bay Station) and Hops n Scotch (in Brookline on Beacon) are also two of my favorites.
  5. In Cambridge go to CBC and Lord Hobo for sure. Both will probably have some nice stuff out for the fest weekend.
  6. Thanks...Will definitely be at both...
  7. Add Bukowski's to that list, and Stoddard's.
    jfarrlley likes this.
  8. pHogg

pHogg Aspirant (30) Vermont Sep 19, 2012

9. Thanks all for the tips...Question: Do any of the aforementioned spots have live music (thinking either acoustic, cover band, or irish)? While I certainly want to check out the beer hangs for new and interesting finds, would also be good to find some good music to enhance the experience…and ideal to find a place that has both!
    Especially interested in Cambridge locations as we will definitely be in that area for Friday night. Saturday night…we could go anywhere…but we could also be too inebriated to go anywhere also J.

Oh…and while I’m throwing out random questions for the Boston crowd…what are your thoughts on the following venues? Atlantic Beer Garden, Whiskey Priest, and the new Harpoon Beer Hall. Thinking they might be good spots nearby to head to after session B on Saturday. Last year we headed all the way to Yard House through the rain after Session B, and while we had a good time, the long travel to and and from killed the spirits a bit…Thinking keeping it local to ACBF will keep the good times rolling…

Looks like it’s going to be a beautiful weekend this year at least…can’t wait!
  10. Thumbs down on Atlantic "Beer" Garden. The only craft you'll find there is Sam Adams. The rest is BMC.
    BostonPhilly and jfarrlley like this.
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Probably wont find live music at any of the aforementioned places. I believe Kinsale usually has Irish music on weekends (and I assume Asgard in Cambridge does as well)

Thumbs down for Atlantic Beer Garden and Whiskey Priest. Pretty much nothing going on beer wise and its D bag central on the weekends. If you're looking to stay in the area I would recommend going to Legal Harborside or even Remy's for a bite to eat and then checking out the Harpoon Beer Hall. I haven't been to the beer hall yet but I've heard nothing but good things (plus Jason and Todd always seem to be there so how bad could it be?).

If its nice out, and it's looking like it will be, the entire city is your playground. I'd recommend taking a cab instead of the T. Much faster and well worth the price difference
  12. all good advice with the possible exception of the cab bit. hailing a taxi on a Saturday night is very hit or miss and unnecessarily expensive when you can easily walk or take the T a couple stops. (obviously depends on where exactly you are and are heading). nothing like sitting in traffic on Tremont with a running meter when a leisurely stroll through the common could have sufficed. :)

13. It's not quite that bad. A couple of Harpoon taps, and they have a much better than average bottle selection. It will be jammed up with fest goers today too, so the crowd won't be as bad as usual.

It's one of the better spots in Boston if you want to have a beer on the water. That's not saying a whole lot, but still...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.